Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Front re-dishing
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve just decided that a wide rim I previously used for Plus is now my new regular 27.5 rim after test fitting and playing.  I’ve set it up tubeless (went up beautifully) and then I remembered that I’d redished the front when I was using it in a Boost fork as a Plus wheel.  I think it was only a turn for the redish, it doesn’t look odd in the fork at the moment.  Should I just forget about it until wheel maintenance is needed or tear it all apart again now?  Obviously I’d prefer not to re-strip immediately…

joebristol

Is it in the middle of the fork? If so then nothing to do.

If it’s not surely you can tweak it without taking the whole thing apart?

cynic-al
    Free Member

1 turn isn’t much at all, probably a couple of mm.

No need to strip it to re dish either .

steve_b77
    Free Member

Does 5mm really make much difference to how the bike will handle?

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm, I’ve always tended to remove tyres before doing anything with spokes. I guess that’s another option.

Centring… it will be off centreline, there would have been no point redishing to compensate for an extra 6mm in the DS endcap otherwise.  Visually, I can’t see it’s overly close to either leg although it must be about 3mm closer to the NDS (?) I guess.

I’m not so worried about handling.  What I was wondering was;  Given it’s true, I’m worrying over nothing, yeah?  Or would the wheel be better with the dish corrected as I have obviously slacked one side a turn and tightened the other?  My thought is, as it’s straight and I’m not noticing a problem the tension per side must be pretty even?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hm, I’ve always tended to remove tyres before doing anything with spokes. I guess that’s another option.

Not necessary (unless you have internal nipples) in fact it could be argued that you’re better leaving the tyre on as a wheel can move when you reinstall and reinflate a tyre….

joebristol

I’d just sort it – 10 min job tops. Start half a turn tighter one side and half a turn looser on the other – if not do the same again. No need to touch the tyre.

vincienup
    Free Member

Fair dos. I’ve squinted a bit closer and the NDS is definitely a bit closer to the fork leg so I did definitely do this wheel and not just the 29 front that also ran in those forks.

I guess I’ll do it just for peace of mind as suggested!

Cheeses guys!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Front re-dishing’ is closed to new replies.