Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Front mud guard or goggles?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

I need a solution to stop mud getting in my eyes as it is happening so often at the moment that soon it will cost me. Thoughts STW?

jam-bo

Mudhugger. It was a swamp in my local woods this morning and came home with dry arse and clean face.

z1ppy

Mucky Nuts bender fender on the fork and front crud catcher on your down tube give almost the same protection as an SKS shockboard (but look slightly more ‘cool’), which for me is the standard that all front mud guards should be able to match.

Hmmm looks like mudhugger have basically copied the Muck nuts for all intents and purposes, for there new front mudguards (all mud guards are copied/cloned, so I hardly blame them). Would still suggest it needs a crud catcher to stop mud being flicked straight up, by the back of the front tyre.

PS: Goggles don’t stop your tyres flicking mud and other nasty stuff into your mouth.

andyrm
    Free Member

Powafender – yes its pricey but nothing else I’ve tried works nearly as well.

jam-bo

Hmmm looks like mudhugger have basically copied the Muck nuts for all intents and purposes, for there new front mudguards (all mud guards are copied/cloned, so I hardly blame them). Would still suggest it needs a crud catcher to stop mud being flicked straight up, by the back of the front tyre.

I’ve had both. Mudhugger does it better.

z1ppy

fair comment, not seen it before

chip
    Free Member

I have a fender bender, and chose not to wear safety glasses this morning, regretted it when haring down a steep muddy fire road a large lump of shite (it smelt of horses)and grit hit me in the eye.
    I did my best to negotiate the tractor sized rutts while doing a mean miles Cyrus impression.

I will definitely be wearing my glasses next time, definitely be wearing my glasses.

jam-bo

The mucky nutz type is flat sheet bent into shape. The mudhugger is injection moulded and follows the wheel much better. Much more effective.

carlphillips
    Free Member

What jambo says +1 recently purchased mudhugger and it surpasses my muckynutz by loads.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Both. Rockguardz mudguard on the front.

Northwind

Mudhugger’s a bigger guard than the normal muckynuts so always going to work better- though they also seem more prone to clogging up. Muckynuts is a great all year guard but not really up to bad winter.

SKS’s Shockboard is another good un, quite a different look which you might or might not like the look of but a bit more effective than the mudhudder and immune to clogging.

ton

always used crud guards front and rear, mated with the piece of innertube on the forks to stop forward thrown spray in the face.
    just ordered a enduro guard for the front to hopefully sort the problem.

chakaping
    Free Member

I find those mucky nutz style mudguards often don’t have enough tyre clearance, and the Neoguard ones don’t stop quite enough crap.

So I’ll probably put my Fast Fender back on, even though it doesn’t look terribly stylish.

This thing

jonnyv
    Free Member

As winter sets in I was starting to get mud in the eyes.I went from mucky nutz to mudhugger with not much difference so went back to mucky nutz with crudcatcher on downtube.Sorted.

waspfactory191
    Free Member

Muddy descent to Hope last Sunday. One friend was using the Powadfender. The other wasn’t. See pic:-

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q1tvkj]Who doesn’t have a Powa Dfender fitted to his forks?[/url] by TonyB_191, on Flickr

(PS: I use the RRP neoprene protector)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That is some difference I think I will try some sort of mud guard first. Though Goggles would make me look so Enduro!

EDIT Just remembered I have a 650b fork with 26 wheels I guess this would be helpful for clearance but would it reduce the effectiveness of some of the guards?

molgrips
    Free Member

You need something that sticks out infront of the fork brace as well as behind it. That’s basically it.

Goggles/glasses are no good because they still get covered in mud and then you can’t see.

ahwiles
    Free Member

crud catcher + muckynuts* = no crap in my eyes.

it’s like magic.

i do wear glasses too, but usually take them off for climbs, and then forget to put them back on for descents.

(*standard / with plenty of clearance around a 2.4 chunky monky / s or Z?)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Front mud guard or goggles?’ is closed to new replies.