Home Forums Bike Forum Front light recommendations for (roadie) Aero Bars

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Front light recommendations for (roadie) Aero Bars
  • grtdkad
    Free Member

What do people use?
    Just bought a new bike and none of my existing options work.
    Ideally looking for (a) a small flashing unit for regular use and (b) a regular unit to use when it’s actually dark (have used my Troute Liberator until now but it won’t fit these new bars).

Thanks

ourkidsam
    Free Member

This

plus

this

plus

this

plus

this

twisty
    Free Member

Profile accessory mount would let you attach the Liberator?

Or the Lezyne hecto lights attach on aero bars quite nicely because the mount rotates and I used for (a) and (b) although they’re not going to provide liberator lux levels.

However, they don’t have vertical adjustment when dangling underneath aero extensions, if a section of your extensions is horizontal then it’ll probably be ok but if they’re pointing upwards you may need something more adjustable

gray

Do you mean aero (non round) section handlebars or aero extensions (i.e. tri bars)?

If the former then I have Canyon ones, and use a GoPro mount under the out front Garmin mount (bolts in very neatly) for a small light, and a Raceware GoPro mount that clamps onto the bar itself – they do options for various bars. I mount an Exposure Strada on the top one. It’s neat enough with the new Exposure GoPro<->QR adaptor thingy.

grtdkad
    Free Member

My bike has aero (non round) section handlebars Gray.

w00dster

On my Canyon Aeroad with the aero cockpit I use a Lezyne Macro Drive 1100XL, works fine. Actually easier than my standard round bar (narrow round bar compared to the aero bars)

twisty
    Free Member

Oh… Well the Hecto also happens to work well with aero section drop bars

gray

My bike has aero (non round) section handlebars Gray.

OK cool. Which model? If they are separate from the stem then there are options that attach via the stem bolts. Otherwise you might be able to attach something to a Garmin out-front mount if you have one. Or else (as Woody said) some lights attach with a rubber band anyway. Or you can use something like this to attach a torchy style one:

https://exposurelights.com/products/bike/brackets-and-mounts/aero-bar-silicone-light-mount

If you can get a GoPro mount on there somehow then you open up quite a few options…

TiRed

What mount do you use for a Garmin? I use a Joystick under my Garmin mount. For my Giant aero bars, there is a special combined mount. For my race bike with same bars, I use the rubber band mount instead (usually riding home from races). For my nice road bike I use a K-edge combined mount on the round section of the aero bars. You can also mount a Garmin from stem bolts with the same effect. You can also mount a Garmin to the underside of some bars and add the Joystick under that.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ravemen PR900 on the fork crown. Road-specific cutoff beam + spot (twin cree)

It has a little button remote I’ve O-ringed on the bars. It cycles the modes/flashes main beam without taking a hand off the bars.

I mount the light from the fork crown using a BBB fork crown bracket.

Wide, bright, far-reaching uniform beam with sharp cutoff (non-dazzling).

Slightly warm colour to the main emitter which also seems to be more effective in fog/cloud than a cooler/blue dazzley beam.

Overall it works much like an automotive/motorcycle headlight. Mounted at the crown it shows up every imperfection in the road. It was a game-changer when I first mounted on the bars, yet Found to be even more effective at the crown. Really happy with it.

First time I’ve used a road-specific beam and after 40 years of cycling on the road I’ve begun to ask why I waited so long! They could really market this thing as a ‘gravel light’ because it seems perfectly suited being a dual-emitter (road + high/trail) and USB power bank (out) function so you can charge other devices from it’s 5200 mAh internal battery even when in use. (Handy if your smartphone is running low etc.

Nicely engineered in an alu housing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Front light recommendations for (roadie) Aero Bars’ is closed to new replies.