Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Friends Wanted around Leith Hill / London!
  • squin
    Free Member

I got a mate of mine into mountain biking just over a year ago, built him a 456 and he’s definately got the bug – just bought a Stumpy FSR (singlespeed next!).

Anyway, he lives in London and generally rides on his own around the Leith Hill area. I keep telling him to hook up with friendly like-minded STWers, but he rarely uses a computer, so I’m sticking a note up for my ‘billy no-mates’ pal.

Does anyone fancy inviting a really good bloke out to join a ride or two?

Thanks,

Stu.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Pity he missed out on the STW Swinley ride a couple of weeks ago!

Plenty of bods around, but he needs to use STW a bit, really!

glenp
    Free Member

If he fancies skills training or guided ride (graded to ability, small groups) he is very welcome to book with http://www.allbikedup.com

I’m sure there will be plenty of free offers too. There a quite a number of regular groups, including night rides.

Nirvana in Westcott do regular rides that you can join in on (maybe not for complete novices), as do Cycleworks.

shortcut

It would be worth going on one of the Nirvana Sunday rides, which can be a bit technical but are good fun and the pace is reasonably comfortable if you are fit.

11am Nirvana Cycles in Westcot. The have a web site http://www.nirvanacycles.com
    i think.

squin
    Free Member

Thanks, keep them coming.

He is new to mountain biking, but isn’t a novice as he used to BMX race so has got very good bike handling skills – give him the slightest lip/stone/jump and he’s in the air with the back end flicked out and bars twisted!

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Stu,

Forgive the obvious question – does he actually want to ride with others?

Everyone’s different 🙂

If he is up for some company, then one approach is to ask some folks nicely in Peaslake on a sunday if he can join them. I’ve had riders join us in this way and it means that he can do as much or as little as he likes.

If he’s after something more organised then above suggestions are great. Also have a look at Sussex Muddy@rse. Mostly riding out of Sussex with regular forays to the North Downs and beyond. Really friendly rides where no-one gets left behind.

TM

squin
    Free Member

t_m, good point! Yeah, he does want to hook up with others, but he rarely uses the internet and has been slow to search out fellow riders. Thanks for the Peaslake suggestion.

Stu

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Stu, no probs.

I’d also encourage him to go out with a few different groups, as they all have their own style, pace and technical riding content.

TM

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Does he like beer?

If so, maybe he can apply to join the Soft Southern Shandy Drinkers, and maybe come out for a ride and a Swift Half.

We are an elite group; the entry requirements are very stringent…

You must love biking, having a good laugh, and know how to enjoy yourself!

Dunno when our next ride is planned for, though. I dare say it’ll be up here when it does happen, though. Keep yer eyes peeled.

squin
    Free Member

RudeBoy,

Thanks, he ‘might’ just fit the criteria 😉

Stu

jfeb
    Free Member

squin. Drop me his contact details – jamesball AT mail.com

shortcut

tunnel hill trolls are often on the Surrey Hills, but much of the riding they do is in the Farnborough / Swinley area and way beyond. http://www.tunnelhilltrolls.co.uk is a good start for this group.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Very friendly group here who regularly ride Surrey Hills/Hurtwood at various levels of speed/fitness.

Also some good routes on the site for solo riders….

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I’m part of a ‘collective’ that ride around London and Surrey a lot of the time. Mixture of all types of riding, but the skill level (of my riding buddies) is generally pretty high. And it’s more about the banter and having fun than putting the miles in.

squin
    Free Member

Thanks all. The STW collective are top people as ever. I’ll get him to look at this thread and he can make contact etc.

If any of you are ever ‘oop-North’ and want to be shown some nice routes in the Peaks of N Wales, give me a shout and I’ll be delighted to oblige.

Stu

squin
    Free Member

That was meant to say The Peaks OR North Wales!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Friends Wanted around Leith Hill / London!’ is closed to new replies.