Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Friends Court Summons arrived
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

A mate was caught last December riding a 600cc motorbike on a provisional licence. Caught at over 100mph
    Charges are

Sp50
    Driving not in accordance with licence
    No insurance.

His first ever driving offence, I didn’t ask why he was riding a Big bike when he was L plates and just told him, I think he will be banned. Also should he plead guilty by post?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no he should go to court to have some simple facts explained to him in person. Suggest he packs his own lube.

Should be a charge of being a see you next tuesday too

falkirk-mark

I would imagine he could plead guilty by post but would imagine the judge would want to see him for those offences. He will be banned.

chewkw
    Free Member

Trying to speed at 100mph without getting caught? My lord! 😯

The whole country is practically being watched by big brother 24/7, yet he still risks it …

A person can drive a Lambor or the fastest car in the world so long as the speed is capped at 70mph max. 🙄

Del

i expect they’ll want him to attend so they can take his licence off him.
    silly.

Klunk
    Free Member

Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence

Section 87(1) Road Traffic Act 1988
    Penalty 3-6 penalty points and/or disqualification. Fine up to £1000.

Driving without insurance

Section 143 Road Traffic Act 1988.
    Penalty 6 – 8 points or a disqualification + fine up to £5000

Speeding

Section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984
    Maximum penalty upon conviction: Fine up to £1000, 3 – 6 points or a disqualification.

totalshell

he ll certainly lose his licence for a stretch.. probably 3 months.
    he ll probably have about 250 worth of fines costs etc if he pleads skint he ll be able to pay as little as 3 quid a week.
    expect about 9 points on licence

his insurance will in the future for car and bike be astronomicla at least a 200% loading on both.

he ll probably be never able to afford a to legally ride a 600cc bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

he ll probably be never able to afford a to legally ride a 600cc bike.

Good result

nealglover
    Free Member

Doing more than double the speed limit with no insurance or license.

His fine + costs will be plenty more than £250 !!!

slowoldman

3 months and 3250? I seriously hope it’s well in excess of that.

Still look on the bright side. If he is banned it might be a bit longer before someone is tying flowers to a tree for him.

easygirl

Or even worse someone tying flowers to a tree for the pedestrian he killed

deepreddave
    Free Member

And that pedestrian (motorist/person) is the family wage earner without insurance for loss of life due to careless uninsured idiot…..

Even if this is a troll, driving knowingly uninsured is NOT A VICTIMLESS crime!

takisawa2

No, attend & own up, & man up.
    He’s your mate so tell him he’s a knob, but your still his mate.
    I’m sure he feels bad enough knowing the gravity of what he’s done.

deepreddave
    Free Member

takisawa2 – good advice but I suspect his awareness extends only to having been caught. I’d say he’s waaaay worse than a ‘knob’.

ninfan
    Free Member

Pedestrian shouldn’t have been on the motorway surely?

(ahem, SP50) 😉

irc

he ll certainly lose his licence for a stretch.. probably 3 months.
    he ll probably have about 250 worth of fines costs etc if he pleads skint he ll be able to pay as little as 3 quid a week.
    expect about 9 points on licence

Pretty sure it’s points or a ban not both.

hora
    Free Member

He needs protecting from himself.

If hes on a good wage he may be in for a shock re: level of fine.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

From what I’ve read is 12 points on a provisional cnot a totting up ban if they disqualify you? As its looking like it will be. He said his 125cc was broke so the 600cc he bought he used in a desperate attempt to get to work while it was being fixed.

He knows he is a knob and I’ve told him he is a knob.

hora
    Free Member

So he was also desperately late for work?

Me wonders how many times he rides this 600 ..

deviant
    Free Member

he ll probably be never able to afford a to legally ride a 600cc bike

Thankfully bike insurance has maintained an element of sanity.

My premium this year on an 800cc 100bhp bike is £150 fully comp….my deisel 100bhp estate car is closer to £500.

A few friends have got back on bikes after bans and still found the premiums lower than their car insurance….why?….call me cynical but in virtually every car RTC i’ve been to the parties involved are practically salivating at the prospect of compensation, the collision may be minor but you can bet your mortgage on everybody involved complaining of neck pain and wanting to be seen in hospital….and looking forward to the cheque in the post.

In my experience of bike RTCs the rider tends to be the only person hurt and just wants to get the bike home, you usually have to drag a motorcyclist to the A&E.

hora
    Free Member

Well as long as the rider doesnt end up In the backseat of the car

iolo
    Free Member

You sorry ahem “you’re mate” should turn up in court and accpt whatever the legal judiciary system will throw at you/him.

ninfan
    Free Member

did he actually not have any insurance? or is it an ‘insurance was invalid due to you not being licensed’

Has he actually got the straight skinny from the insurance company, as often they seem to be more accommodating of messy situations than you or the police might expect.

Couple of hundred quid on a solicitor now might well be a good investment considering the fine he’s likely to get!

iolo
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/motorbike-commuters-1

the reason I posted is because of this thread.

I have a a Suzuki GSR 600 for fun and Honda CBF 125 for work duties.

together with

Now I stupidly got a motorway speeding fine in November (111 mph)

Apologies if I’m ading 2 and 2 and coming up with 5.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

He got done before me in October. 102 mph. I did 111mph and got a fixed penalty notice and 3 points for my sp50.He lm was asking me what I got for a sp50 bbut mines different in that mine was fully licensed. So I just got bollocked by a copper

MartynS

Don’t plead guilty by post, there is a fair chance he’s looking at a ban so he’ll need to turn up
    Remember a ban comes into force immediately so don’t drive/ride to court

nealglover
    Free Member

He he, nicely spotted iolo.

So you got fixed penalty and 3 points for speeding at 111mph ?

Seems very unlikely to me.

111mph and no disqualification!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yup Had a fpn for same speed in a car about three years ago.

maccruiskeen

A few friends have got back on bikes after bans and still found the premiums lower than their car insurance….why?….call me cynical but in virtually every car RTC i’ve been to the parties involved are practically salivating at the prospect of compensation, the collision may be minor but you can bet your mortgage on everybody involved complaining of neck pain and wanting to be seen in hospital….and looking forward to the cheque in the post.

The majority of vehicle accidents will involve damage to property rather than people, so its the third party costs of walls, houses, crash barriers, lampposts and repair costs of other vehicles etc that insurers will most commonly meet the cost of rather than death and injury, and obviously a car can do a lot more damage to things than a bike. Even though killing and injuring others is very costly its rare in relation to damage to ‘stuff’. The kind of compensation culture whiplash claims you’re referring too are deliberately low value claims, lower than most repair bills, as they’re deliberately pitched at less than the cost, time and bother of challenging them.

However car drivers potentially have 4 other humans in their vehicle, all of whom are third party responsibilities of the driver so thats also an issue in accidents that don’t involve other road users.

Also – most M/C riders are a bit fair weather, it’ll rarely be their main form of transport, so even though the risk per mile of riding bikes is very high (200 miles on a bike has the same micro-mort score as a day on the frontline in afgansistan) the time exposed to risk is very low compared to car driving.

slowoldman

Um as someone pointed out isn’t SP50 a motorway offence? Unlicenced? Did he do that because he was late for work too?

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, as someone who binned a bike (850 Suzuki) with no licence, insurance or road tax (fortunately they didn’t ask for an MOT certificate or try very hard to estimate my speed other than 60mph “very fast” 😳 ) I can say do NOT plead guilty by post. I was trying to protect my brother (whose bike it was) and didn’t want to get tripped up in court and dump him in it even worse). I ended up with 8 points and a fine (a couple of hundred iirc but that was in ’87). Always reckoned it would have been better for the judge to have a rant at me (and also see the still rather vivid facial scars to see I hadn’t got off scot free).

Of course this assumes that he can take a dressing down without reacting and making things worse for himself.

neilco
    Free Member

bwfc4eva868 – Member
    Yup Had a fpn for same speed in a car about three years ago

So I try not to get all judgmental in these things, but really? Have you ever thought of learning your lesson?

hora
    Free Member

OP are you abit of a Walter Mitty type character?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah I have 6 points total at the moment. My problem was I drove/rode in a aggressive manner. Yet in work and at home I’m considered a nice person. But on the roads I was a complete tool. I now ride for the freedom not the thrill.

br
    Free Member

If hes on a good wage he may be in for a shock re: level of fine.

Only difference is how long he takes to pay it.

Tell him when he fills in the fine paperwork to say he can’t afford whatever it is they’ve charged him with. He’ll then get to estimate his outgoings – from this he’ll be able to get the fine down to a couple of quid a week.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yup Had a fpn for same speed in a car about three years ago

If this is true (and the recent 111mph fpn) then I despair of the police. 😐

poly
    Free Member

Tell him when he fills in the fine paperwork to say he can’t afford whatever it is they’ve charged him with. He’ll then get to estimate his outgoings – from this he’ll be able to get the fine down to a couple of quid a week.

only if it is true – otherwise you have just committed another offence. Generally the courts are a little suspicious of anyone who can afford to own and run two motorbikes who can’t afford to pay fines in sensible timeframes.

tightywighty
    Free Member

bwfc4eva868 – Member

He got done before me in October. 102 mph. I did 111mph and got a fixed penalty notice and 3 points for my sp50.He lm was asking me what I got for a sp50 bbut mines different in that mine was fully licensed. So I just got bollocked by a copper

Sounds like you were lucky then, should have been a ban as > 36mph over limit.

slowoldman

I now ride for the freedom not the thrill.

Yay. Go you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like you both need a spell without motorised transport, bit of a chance to reflect.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Friends Court Summons arrived’ is closed to new replies.