Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Motorbike commuters
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Anyone here commute year round? And if so are you a car owner also. Now do any of you own a car also or live with just the bike. At the moment we have just the one car which I was named on the insurance with partner. Her main driver me additiona. We were paying £700 comp last year on a 2012 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 Design auto. Now I stupidly got a motorway speeding fine in November (111 mph) totally stupid I know but it also goes with the sp30 I got in 2011. Now it’s bumped it up to £1800 insurance if I’m added on.

Now I only use the car if the weather’s horrendous, snow and ice. Is it worth not bothering this year and keeping me off. If so the car insurance will be £400 for missus.

On my bikes I pay £300 with two bikes and the points, I have a a Suzuki GSR 600 for fun and Honda CBF 125 for work duties.

Thinking of going to a do it all bike save a bit more money, the gsr is great fun, but that’s how I got points. And is shite on fuel, costs me £100 a month if I use it for work (30 mile commutes) and the cbf 125 about £40. So looking for something in the middle ground. Budget £2000

Trimix
    Free Member

Get a second hand traile style bike. Great fun to ride, not easy to go way over the speed limit. Easy to manouver in slow traffic, cheap to run/maintain/insure etc.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’d like one but none for £2000 and security would be an issue.

Northwind

I used to all year, it was only really a hardship when it snowed. Buuut, I did spend a fair chunk on good quality kit to achieve that, and it battered the resale value of my bike. Got a car now and a commute that a car works well for so the bike’s SORNed and sad in the garage.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I use my Crf450r over winter – 80 maxed out, reasonable on fuel and pennies if it does get dropped to fix.
    Insurance is peanuts too!
    Has to go now as storage is at a premium and the 10 & 14 are keepers 😛 otherwise it would be staying..
    Good kit is your answer though – proper textiles like Rukka, Hein Gerricke, etc not Buffalo….
    Bar muffs too as well as gloves means no wind chill.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, I do. I have been doing so for a year. I’m currently using a Honda NC700X which is something as a revelation as a commuter bike. It’s not fast, but it’s grunty and stupidly economical at 78mpg so far. It’s comfy, high up, light handling and very practical with the helmet storage. I’ve formed an irrational bond with it in the last month (1417 miles in month!) I can’t think of a finer all round commute bike, with a bit of character thrown in.
    But they are a fairly new bike and you won’t find one below £4k
    With your budget 2 bikes spring to mind

1) If you need a motorway bike, a Honda CB500, the older carburettor engined one. They’ll do 60mpg with a bit of restraint and are cheap to run. £1500 will get a good one.

2)If it’s all town or A-road I’d got for a scooter. We had a Vespa GT200 and it was great, very well made, 72mpg, cheap on tyres, easy to home service (Although I paid to have the valve clearances done as I’m not that good with a feeler gauge!) and easy parts availability. Stick a top box on and they’re even good 2-up.
    Your money will buy a nice newer GTS250 which are reputed to get 80mpg. They’re as cool as fek and a hoot to ride too!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to commute on a CG125, ~15miles each way.

Froze my nuts (and hands) off in winter, but I was pretty much just wearing a jacket, normal gloves and school uniform. Heated grips etc would make it easy, and you know where the ice will be, so avoid it.

benp1

Until about 13 months ago we only had 1 car between two, I used to commute 10 miles into Central London by motorbike (Triumph Street Triple R)

Loved it, commuted in all weathers, much better than the tube

Then moved to a job out of London and bought a second car as its practical and I’m lazy. Sold my triumph and picked up a fireblade on the weekend, don’t commute for need reasons anymore so can commute for fun!

Whats your commute like? Plenty of options for that sort of money, I’d definitely consider a naked bike for traffic laden roads, something like a Speed Triple would be fun, a Hornet 900 will be cheap these days, so will something like a Z1000

benp1

Ach, just read that you want something in the middle ground, does that mean for petrol costs or fun? A CB500 would be cheap to run but boring

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

It can be either all motorway, M65, M6. Or urban roads and a small bit through the centre of Preston.

Looking for 50/60 mpg, has to be geared and not too boring. I don’t want stupidity speeds.

Got good quality kit, and have heated grips and a vest also, lovely and toasty.

benp1

So do you want fairing or are you happy with a naked bike?

Something like a BMW F650 GS or F800 would easily hit your mpg, and would be fine to ride, not sure about budget though

Otherwise you’d looking at something 500cc like, maybe Kwak ER5, in order to meet the mpg criteria. The 600s are more fun but you won’t be getting good economy. My Triumph through traffic into London (but not riding for economy…) was getting about 31-33mpg!

5thElefant
    Free Member

CB500 is the sensible option.

If you’re proficient with a multi-meter the air cooled Ducatis are very economical. An older multistrada would be ideal.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Ideal bike would defo be a twin V or inline. I love the Grunt noise. Happy naked or semi faired cant have something with clip ons, and arse in the air. Bad shoulder and achy knees. Do like the cb500’s I did my DAS on one.

Get about 130 miles to 15 litres on my Suzuki. And 300 miles to 12 litres on the 125.

mogrim

Get about 130 miles to 15 litres on my Suzuki

… which is about 14 km/l

My 40km commute on a FZ6 into work uses about 2.2 litres of petrol, about 18 km/l. Similar bike to yours, so why such a difference? Do you spend the whole journey bouncing off the rev limiter?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A CB500 would be cheap to run but boring

Nope. Not boring at all. Wonderful little bike with a cracking engine. James Toseland learned to race on one, so it’s good enough for me. The newer ones are down on the older ones power though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ideal bike would defo be a twin V or inline. I love the Grunt noise. Happy naked or semi faired cant have something with clip ons, and arse in the air. Bad shoulder and achy knees. Do like the cb500’s I did my DAS on one.
    Get about 130 miles to 15 litres on my Suzuki. And 300 miles to 12 litres on the 125.

My NC700X has a 14 l tank. The last fill up was 211 miles on 12.33 litres. 🙂

mogrim

My NC700X has a 14 l tank. The last fill up was 211 miles on 12.33 litres.

Not been following the motorbike market for a while, that NC700X looks excellent – pity I can’t afford to change right now 🙁

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

MoveOn – sit about 80 mph on the motorway but have been known to rag it up to 100+ now and again. But that would mean I’d get 90 miles to a tank.

130 miles is the best I’ve got sticking to speed limits.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve commuted by motorbike all year round for the last 12 years.
    For the first 6 years it was on a GSXR750 (CBR600 for the 1st year). When it got too snowy/icy I would have to sponge a lift off someone, but I cant remember it ever being that bad (South Coast). 6 years ago I got a trailie as well, solely for commuting (and some greenlaning to start with). Much more fun in traffic, and even more fun in the wet. Winters are fine and will ride through snow to get to clearer main roads. Snow isnt the issue, its when you get solid ice on the roads it becomes a prob (especially for short a**es like me).

I only have to do 7miles each way and only 2 of those are on motorway. Over 10miles on motorway and trailie might be a struggle. I get about 95 miles out of a £9-10 tank. Insurance is twice that of my GSXR750, which is one reason I’m getting rid of, gutted as its a hoot.

Although brilliant fun, I’ve realised I dont need 2 bikes anymore and will be selling both for a BMW F800 hopefully, as a do it all. With the intention of carrying the pushbike on rear if I need too :). It will be a lot heavier and wont be so good in the snow, but its rare that we get deep snow on main roads around here.
    My wife uses the car daily so I dont have access to it during the week.

banks
    Free Member

+1 CG125 – sold 2years later for 50quid less than paid for.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I commute about 30 miles each way every day but still have a car for those very few days I think snow and ice make it too risky for me (maybe five a year? I’m in the South East). I use a naked 600 (FZ6N) because I thought it would slow me down. Nakeds do make speed more of an effort but I wish I had a faring when it is very cold or wet. Good gear can keep you warm and dry but I think a fairing would make my life more comfy and my kit wouldn’t be forming puddles in the office when I hang it up.

Rubber_Buccaneer

And just to cheer you up (not) my shonky old Astra plus a years tax, insurance and MOT doesn’t add up to your £1800 for insurance 😯

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I cant imagine being without a motorbike. The Suzuki does make me ride stupidly though, hence too much throttle on a frosty road, meant a broken leg and trashed knee last year. The cbf 125 is everything I want with my sensible head on, but its awful on the motorway. So both bikes traded in im thinking might gdt £3000.

So good mpg about 50/60 mpg and be comfortable at motodrway speeds. Do like the cb500 also like the Kawasaki Er6.

labsey
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of Honda 125s, CG was bulletproof but had no protection from the elements. Also had a Varadaro which was half-faired and really nice to ride. Wasn’t cheap though (compared to other 125s).

Commuted all year round. Make sure you add heated grips.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do like the cb500 also like the Kawasaki Er6.

The ER6 is the poor mans CB5. Similar, but not as well made, as fast, or as economical. But cheaper. With £2k to spend I wouldn’t entertain one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This is EXACTLY th one I had, colour, model, etc. The half fairing is well worth it. I did 33,000 miles on mine and wouldn’t have hesitated to double that. This is a bargain.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309218895972/sort/pricedesc/usedbikes/cc-to/900cc/price-to/2000/cc-from/400cc/model/cb/make/honda/page/1/postcode/gu148ex/radius/1500?logcode=p

Marge
    Free Member

I commute on a K1200R….
    Not a good choice for comfort / serenity / economy but it takes your mind off work 😉

BMW GS Adventure was considerably better and I (sometimes) regret getting rid 🙁

crossland
    Free Member

Er6f here, bought brand new and just for fun, I would have thought it would be an ideal commuter, its not despeately fast, will do 60mpg and is fairly comfy, its upright too, its very easy to ride as well

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The ER6 is the poor mans CB5. Similar, but not as well made, as fast, or as economical. But cheaper. With £2k to spend I wouldn’t entertain one.

Ignore me. I meant ER5, not ER6. Totally different beast.
    £2k might get you an ER6 or Versys actually, come to think of it.

crossland
    Free Member

Oh and for an old git like me it £14/month comprehensive insurance, with no no claims

hs125
    Free Member

PeterPoddy has just mentioned my suggestion: Kawasaki Versys. A 650cc parallel twin. More grunt than an er6, 50+mpg, 220 miles between fuel ups, a small fairing and a fun bike that’s reasonably comfortable.
    One more suggestion. What about on of the 3 wheelers from Piagio or Peugeot? Maybe not the image you want, but you get 400cc, good weather protection, and what I would guess would be pretty good handling with twice the grip up front of a conventional motorbike

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Defo want to stay conventional motorbike. The versys looks a good choice. Heard good things. Bloody ugly though.

Trimix
    Free Member

*wonders off to the man cave to polish a few motorbikes*

Northwind

Every time I see one of these:

I think of this guy

hs125
    Free Member

That’s the new, better looking Versys. The original mark one is even more of an acquired taste. Not all have ABS which is worth looking out for if you want to commute through the winter.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. A Versys ticks all the boxes
    There’s one on ebay now for £2100. Lots of miles but it’s got ABS which is handy

anagallis_arvensis

I ride a 20 yearold F650. Commute 30 miles a day. It does the job. I’m sure the more modern F650 ( a 800 cc twin or the older 650 twin would suit. My single is not that pleasant at motorway speeds. Or the suzuki vee strom too? All as ugly as the versys.

benp1

3 wheelers are for car drivers, not for bikers…

The NC700 has half a Honda Jazz engine, so its very economical and is good for commuting and economy, not so good for fun and hoots (so I hear, never ridden one)

I’d take a 600 over a 500 if possible, but if you’re trying to save money and go for economy your bike selection might well change. Most non-sporty BMWs have very good economy, shockingly so in fact

5thElefant
    Free Member

3 wheelers are for car drivers, not for bikers…

Can you drive them on a car licence? Like a quad…

hs125
    Free Member

Some you can, depends on how far apart the front wheels are I think.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike commuters’ is closed to new replies.