Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Fresh Goods Friday 626: Silver Serfing Edition
  • Ben_Haworth

This is the bintro… the intro that actually got written on bin day (which is Thursday round here).

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Fresh Goods Friday 626: Silver Serfing Edition

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

sharkattack

If you care about rock and roll, guitars, music in general or just awesome people, you should read about Sister Rosetta Tharpe. It’s criminal how thoroughly forgotten she was by the music industry and media. I’ve only known about her for a few years. If she was a man she’d be up there with Chuck Berry and Elvis and she predates both of them.

ossify

Hefty batteries but I really want to try riding around with 12000 lumens on the front!

Wait a sec…

HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!

winerwalker

Rosetta Tharpe was the bizness! Even in a wet and broken Manchester. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-27256401

footflaps

Wait a sec…

HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!

Same as I paid for Lupine’s Wilma 5 system back in the day – 700 lumens!

Think I also paid the same for their HID light before they switched to LEDs…..

ta11pau1

They are serious lights, up to 12 hours on full 2000lm. 12 hours!! 😮

The price of the head torch isn’t even that bad when compared to the RRP of an Exposure Zenith.

ossify

They are serious lights, up to 12 hours on full 2000lm. 12 hours!! 😮

Yeah, at 20°C. Not often that warm at dark in the UK!
    Impressive even so.

ta11pau1

True, still 3.5hrs at -5 though, so probably at least 5-6 hours at normal 5-10 degrees UK winter temps. Quick is damn impressive Vs the 1-1.5hr max of most MTB ones.

thenorthwind

Does that bottle of Irn Bru say FANNY on it?

Also, ref. the sticker on the Stif, does anyone else find those “Designed in <place where people get paid decent wages>, made somewhere else” stickers a bit grating for some weird reason? I think it’s because it just seems a bit condescendingly colonial… yes, we trust you to make the thing on the cheap, but no, no, you leave the design to us.

ta11pau1

Does that bottle of Irn Bru say FANNY on it?

Yep, was a thing apparently…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I think it’s because it just seems a bit condescendingly colonial… yes, we trust you to make the thing on the cheap, but no, no, you leave the design to us.

Strange, when I read them I read it as “we’ll do the stuff the requires minimal capital investment, very little specific staff training (so it can be done by someone else or at the employees expense), and can reasonably be done on the IoM or similar before being signed off by a UK mainland based middle manager and slapping a sticker on it. We’ll leave you to do everything else”
    But yeah, it grates.
    (not suggesting stif etc are necessarily guilty of this, quite possibly its dave in sumerbridge does the whole lot)

Sanny
    Free Member

@thenorthwind

Yes it does indeed say what you think it does? It was from the campaign they did when Coke were doing their named bottles……..

Well spotted!

martinhutch

Still trying to work out if the article title is some kind of peasant-related pun.

PrinceJohn

If you care about rock and roll, guitars, music in general or just awesome people, you should read about Sister Rosetta Tharpe. It’s criminal how thoroughly forgotten she was by the music industry and media. I’ve only known about her for a few years. If she was a man she’d be up there with Chuck Berry and Elvis and she predates both of them.

this times x10000

jameso

Also, ref. the sticker on the Stif, does anyone else find those “Designed in <place where people get paid decent wages>, made somewhere else” stickers a bit grating for some weird reason?

No? Wages aren’t low in Taiwan, lower than here yes but cost of living is lower by about the same proportion. And the standard of living there is much better than some would think. From what I’ve seen and at recent/current trajectories it’s wouldn’t suprise me if it were better than the UK. Property is more expensive there though.

thenorthwind

Well there you go.

Point is it’s still cheaper to get a frame made in Taiwan, presumably. I realise it’s not China, but, again presumably, if it cost the same to have it made in the UK, they would.

Sanny
    Free Member

No introduction necessary….

MrAgreeable

Glad you went with the Stif, I feel like a proper influencer now. ;⁠-⁠) Ribollita is my soup discovery of the year – ridiculously tasty for something made almost entirely from worthy ingredients.

danp63

Good frame choice Benji, I’ve had mine for coming up 2 years and love it. Interested to hear how you get on with the 140mm fork, I’ve been considering upping the fork travel.

LAT

Point is it’s still cheaper to get a frame made in Taiwan, presumably. I realise it’s not China, but, again presumably, if it cost the same to have it made in the UK, they would.

it is probably cheaper in taiwan than the UK because there are no comparable factories to do the work, rather than penny pinching on the part of stif.

i think the “designed in uk” or where ever thing comes from a time when lots of mountain bikes had poor mud clearance around the back wheel and designed in uk let you know/made you believe that your bike was designed for the conditions that you rode in.

silver components: i would love it if someone made a silver dropper and rims

dyna-ti

So…. is this Stif build going to be a Christmas raffle prize then ?.

jamj1974

Sister Rosetta Tharpe – I found her through the blues many, many years ago. So glad I didn’t miss her.

jameso

Point is it’s still cheaper to get a frame made in Taiwan, presumably.

Sure – what I was getting at was just about ‘decent wages’ rather than the cost to get it made.

Sandwich

The Lumen Wars are still on then?

Rubber_Buccaneer

@ben_haworth maybe add to the silverware with some Hope 155mm cranks for testing purposes. Love my Squatch but the BB really is proper low. I suspect the low BB contributes to the excellent handling right up to the moment I’ve been spat off by a pedal strike. Again.

Ben_Haworth

@Rubber_Buccaneer Unfortunately we already have (black) Hope 155 cranks on test on someone else’s bike at the mo. I’ll just have to get 165 eWings then I suppose. (not really, will be transferring the drivetrain parts off my NS :))

desperatebicycle

does anyone else find those “Designed in <place where people get paid decent wages>, made somewhere else” stickers a bit grating for some weird reason

Not really, but the STIF sticker on the downtube is gratingly ugly.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.