Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Fred Whitton sign up live
  • howarthp
    sandwicheater

Cheers, forgot about that.

Signed up, fingers crossed n all that.

Vortexracing

put my ballot entry in last night, fingers and toes crossed here

tlr

Put my name in the hat.

I’ve not done it since it was in Coniston, does it make much difference? Times from Grasmere seem to be a little quicker maybe?

weeksy

I saw it… then thought it sounded horrific !!!! So never

simondbarnes

I saw it… then thought it sounded horrific !!!! So never

It’s a nice day out in a lovely location.

weeksy

4000m of ascent…. and a climb at 30%…. Mmmmmm nah 😉

simondbarnes

and a climb at 30%

It’s only 30% for a bit 😉

pmcclure
    Free Member

Only 30% for about 100 metres but it comes after you’ve done 95 miles. Did it in 2019 in perfect weather conditions. Brilliant day out.

postierich
    Free Member

Still 10 places left for some proper riding you don’t have to bike pack it you could do it in a oner

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/jennride-2020-bike-packing-ride-tickets-88416940449

Gary_C

Signed up, paid & got my guaranteed place in the Fred.

benman
    Free Member

Entered as part of a group… fingers crossed

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

tlr

Put my name in the hat.

I’ve not done it since it was in Coniston, does it make much difference? Times from Grasmere seem to be a little quicker maybe?

About 10-15 min slower than Coniston start due to the extra distamce and with the addition of Blea Tarn there is more climbing as well. Not really been any bad days since the start swapped to Grasmere and the new course record is still 13ish minutes off the old course and the average finish time has gone up also.

tlr

Ah, interesting, thanks. I better stop dreaming of 6.45 then.

I had the impression that Blea Tarn was ‘easier’ than Hawkshead – obviously not. Although the slower times might just be that Rob Jebb has got older….

Sounds like numbers on the road are an issue now, which they weren’t when I last did it in 2014.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Posted 5 hours ago
    tlr

Ah, interesting, thanks. I better stop dreaming of 6.45 then.

I had the impression that Blea Tarn was ‘easier’ than Hawkshead – obviously not. Although the slower times might just be that Rob Jebb has got older….

Sounds like numbers on the road are an issue now, which they weren’t when I last did it in 2014

The average finish time has also increased by a similar time though that could be due to the ‘strength’ of the fields changing as well. I rode the last Coniston’Fred’ in 2014 as well as the Grasmere course and the latest Grasmere + Blea Tarn and would swap back to the original in a heartbeat for the faster times! I’ll be happy to match my 2017 time on the longer course now!

tlr

Well, I’m in.

Anyone else been lucky/unlucky enough to get in?

mos

Me too.
    Time to start procrastinating.

RicB

Anyone else get an email saying they were in, followed by an email a few hours later saying they weren’t?

Confused!

sandwicheater

Just the confirmation email @ RicB, Eeeep, entered on the off chance, need to think about getting some hill climbing in.

howarthp

No, didn’t get a place 🙁

Tiger6791

Lots of people getting both yes & no but money taken

RicB

Just had a ‘ooops sorry for the two emails’ email confirming that I did get in

Seems to be that if you got a confirmation email you’re in, regardless of any other email saying you didn’t.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Didn’t get in which im not overly concerned about tbh! I’d love to do it one day, but if I’m honest it strikes me as one of those ‘too hard to be remotely enjoyable’ days on a bike.

brokenbanjo

Did it last year and got in again this year. Single best day i’ve Had on a bike, it’s epic. Looking forward to the training for it too.

Vortexracing

I’m in 🙁

jonjones262
    Free Member

not heard anything, appears to have all gone a bit tits up 🙁

benman
    Free Member

I’m in, with a team of 4.

Just deciding whether to find accommodation within riding distance or further afield. How bad is the traffic in the morning?

Sandwich

It’s only 30% for a bit

95 miles in and over a cattle grid. I walked when we did it in our own time (53/39 and 11/29 may not have been a good gearing choice in retrospect). The descent off Wrynose was probably the worst bit of the day as the surface is rubbish.

Go do the Coniston start 4 seasons Fred @weeksy and make a day of it in the summer. Be prepared to make ‘old man noises’ the next day though!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton sign up live’ is closed to new replies.