Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Fred Whitton –
  • radoggair
    Free Member

Did anyone nearly die of hypothermia like a few bodies i seen in the food tent. Never seen so many shakin bodies wrapped in foil in my life. Up to 11am was fine, after that weather was just atrocious. ANother 112 painful mies done

bigbeard
    Free Member

I thought I’d worn too many clothes (long bibs, overshoes etc) during the first half but was very glad of them in the second half!

Hats off to organisers for handing out loads of the shiny blankets at the end.

The descents off Hardknott and Wrynose were pretty intersting as well.
    I heard there were a number of bad falls? Hope the fallers were ok.

globalti
    Free Member

I wonder how road bike disc brakes would cope with those descents?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Major kudos to anyone who did ‘the fred’ yesterday. A brutal ride even in good conditions.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Got to admit have trained in that crap all winter so got round warm, vest, short sleeve cycling top, gilet, arm warmers, shorts knee warmers. Jacket stayed in pocket. I had the sense to go straight back to car across the village and change then went back to the hypothermia tent!! Saw some nasty offs,one looked really bad just over Whinlatter summit, shook me up a bit and brought it home how dangerous it actually was, hope everyone recovers.Well organised and supported event. My first sportive so can`t compare to others.

BadlyWiredDog

Probably rather better than road bike rim brakes in the wet, why wouldn’t they be? I’d rather have been on my disc-braked cross bike coming down Hardknott and Wrynose to be honest.

Anyway, quite a nasty, brutish sort of day, got very cold before the second food stop, with hindsight should have worn longs and more clothes generally. Felt sorry for the folk who’d not packed a waterproof.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fair effort for even completing it, the weather was shite.

Glad my entry wasn’t accepted, couldn’t be bothered spending seven hours out in that (even the food stops couldnt make up for it).

kcr
    Free Member

I rode it with road discs a few years ago. They just worked in the usual way, no dramas, but what else would you expect?

glenh
    Free Member

kcr – Member
    I rode it with road discs a few years ago. They just worked in the usual way, no dramas, but what else would you expect?

Over heating, pain, death?

Anyway, good effort from all those out yesterday. I’m really hoping the weather will be better for the Etape (dales) next weekend.

stufive
    Free Member

It was a cruel day but managed a pb myself some of the descents are very bumpy and when ur wet they can be difficult

karnali
    Free Member

enjoyed the first bit to lorton after that it became 50 miles of torture very very cold at the calder bridge foodstop but warmed up going up hardnott

reggiegasket
    Free Member

If anything, yesterday’s ride has definitely persuaded me that my next roadie will have discs. I set off early so it only really started to chuck it down by Cold Fell, so I wasn’t too cold. But you are right – loads of shaking zombies at the end.

radoggair
    Free Member

would deffo buy discs for a road bike when they become the norm, never been so slow on a descent in my life as down hardknott and wrynose. Carbon rims = zero braking for first 5 secs then a bit of hopefulness. Think i avg 15mph down them. Down kirkstone saw just under 60mph in the dry. Actually enjoyed it altho never learned from last year that maybe my 39/26 isn’t low enough for hardknott etc. Still got up them though 🙂

hopevalley

I think that yesterday was the worst weather for years (even more so than the year before last when it snowed a bit).. more because people seemed under prepared for it… I went with a jersey/gilet/armwarmers setup and shorts and fingerless mitts…. 🙁

I was VERY cold on Cold Fell but soon got warm heading to hardknott. but pushing a 39:28 with cold legs lead to cramps (but still cleaned them) and then 2 falls on the descent of Hardknott and 1 coming down Wrynose…. largely down to cold hands and complete lack of braking on carbon rims…

Saw some nasty crashes too and hope anyone that did crash recovers soon.

boxelder

raddogair – I’m guessing looking at times that you were riding with big Bob and Adam from Keswick Bikes? Good ride from those two.

globalti
    Free Member

I get the feeling the demand will take the industry by surprise when a mainstream manufacturer launches their hydraulic road discs. I’ll be in the market for some for my winter trainer/crosser/tourer.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I get the feeling the demand will take the industry by surprise when a mainstream manufacturer launches their hydraulic road discs. I’ll be in the market for some for my winter trainer/crosser/tourer.

I’m hoping the 5700 mechanical group on my commuter, currently operating with BB7’s, will hold on until 105 goes Di2 and hydraulic disc…….

stufive
    Free Member

I was surprised at how many people were using deep section carbon rims fro the event TBH more of a hindrance IMO on this type of terrane

crazy-legs

Down kirkstone saw just under 60mph in the dry.

Kirkstone is one of the best road descents in the UK for that kind of speed. Either side works, just go with wherever the tailwind is! I’ve had close on 60mph down there and I remember being overtaken by a tandem one year when I was doing 50-ish mph. 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

raddogair – I’m guessing looking at times that you were riding with big Bob and Adam from Keswick Bikes? Good ride from those two.

yeah, sure was. Had to let bob go a few times to drop back and get a few riders i was with so catching him was fun. By cold fell me n huge bob decided to just carry on, it was pretty cold and wet so had to move pretty quickly.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Hats off to anyone who took part! I’ve only read reports etc but it sounded pretty grim. Heroic effort! One or two of the passes are enough for me, never mind six one after another.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Big thanks to the organisers – marshals out in the rain all day, people sorting out foil blankets, very impressive on a difficult day. Shame the pasties weren’t the best 🙄

boxelder

Where did he get away from you?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Great day, shame about the weather! Got very wet over Cold Fell and spent a good bit of time drinking coffee and warming up. Pleased with my total time of 8:57 though. Organization was great, lots of marshals where they needed to be and very slick sign on and food at the end. Chatted to lots of nice folk and really enjoyed it despite the weather.

radoggair
    Free Member

Where did he get away from you?

hardknott and wrynose. Could see him coming down wrynose but with carbon rims on lost so much time descending with brakes not really doing much. Actually felt pretty good after the descent.

Chew
    Free Member

Amazing day out until it started to rain.

Hit over 50 down Kirkstone and even got a bit of air on the bumps down Honister 😯

Was absolutely soaked to the core by the time i got to the second cake stop in Calderbridge. Huge thanks to the ladies providing tea, foil blankets and generally keeping an eye on me until i remembered my name.

Also a huge thanks to the people who gave me and a few others a lift back to Coniston. I was in no state to ride over Hardknot

nammynake
    Free Member

Although I was soaked through I managed to stay warmish. I actually started getting cold during the second feed stop so rammed some coffee and food down my neck and set off pronto to warm up.

Similar story at the end, I started shivering badly when eating my pastie and beans. I could barely cut the pastie with then shivering. Went for a long hot shower at the YHA afterwards, which in hindsight I should have done before getting food.

I managed 7:51 which I was pretty chuffed with, even managed Hardknott without stopping/walking.

jimmers
    Free Member

My first sportive and I was mightly impressed with the organisation. All the locals and drivers (mostly) were cheering and courteous especially when the marshals stopped traffic to let riders through.

Support from random strangers also evident. Example being a chap handing out oranges and bananas on Cold Fell by a camper van in driving rain.

If only the locals were as understanding in my local area (see thread about the New Forest sportive).

wool

“I wonder how road bike disc brakes would cope with those descents?”

“I was surprised at how many people were using deep section carbon rims fro the event TBH more of a hindrance IMO on this type of terrane”

Very happy I have to say running 80mm carbon rims. Managed 50 mph on kirkstone but then they are laced up to some DT Centerlock hubs and have some BB7s doing the slowing down thing on shimano XT rotors 🙂

brack
    Free Member

Yep did it on my Kaffenback.

Really enjoyed it – despite 2 punctures and no brakes whatsoever on Hardknott/ Wrynose.

A slow and solid time..just enjoying the day.

Was amazed at the number of people suffering early stages of hypothermia…who then got back on their bikes and rode another 28 miles !!

My first sportive and only a few months on the bike – I might treat myself to an upgrade.

Any recommends for a decent jacket ?

Digby

Any recommends for a decent jacket

I bought a Rapha Rain Jacket last week to do the Fred Whitton, based on the weather forcast and I’m so glad that I did – whilst I did get pretty chilly over Cold Fell and the run into Calder Bridge, my upper half was pretty dry depite the torrential driving rain [after 4 hours the jacket was still ‘beading’ nicely!]

Cup of hot tea and a cheese & jam sandwich and I was ready to hit Hardknott & Wrynose.

The Marshalls, the food stops and the locals were all fantastic – I’m really glad I did it despite the ‘challenging’ weather.

The accidents on the Whinlatter and Hardknott descents both looked pretty serious. I wish those involved a speedy recover and again, respect goes to those who attended the injured!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If anyone is interested, my mate took some pictures of the event. If you see yourself in amongst that lot, let him know and he’ll sell you a hi-res copy!

DSC_0191

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Hats off to anyone who did it! I was walking round High Street and as we set off loads of people were coming down from the Kirkstone Pass. It was dry then, but when we were cold and wet coming off the hill a few hours later I was consoling myself by thinking about how absolutely horrendous it would have been on the bike.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton –’ is closed to new replies.