Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Frames with 1.5 inch headtubes – whats out there
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

Got some Lyriks with a 1.5 steerer on the cheap cheap so going to build up an All Mountain steed.

Nukeproof Mega is the obvious
    any anything else I should be thinking of?
    ideally needs ISCG mounts, rear maxle and about 150mm rear travel.

slowrider
    Free Member

Old cannondale prophet seems the obvious option if you want to continue the budget theme. My brother just picked up a tidy one with dhx air, iscg etc. No rear maxle but it’s not flexy or owt.

freeridenick
    Free Member

funny you should say that. one of my riding buddies did the same last year.

Forgot to add that i am going to ideally put in a 200*57 coil that I have as well – so that narrows the field down somewhat (mega fits this shock)

z1ppy

Err Cannondale Gemini DH (Perp too maybe?), as the Prophet MX has a shorter shock, though it maybe possible to run that size…

you’ve not made it easy, with your spec list… especially the shock size

freeridenick
    Free Member

not sure i like the cannondales really.

z1ppy – yes rather specific 😡

jimmy

All mountain with 1.5″ headtube you say….

freeridenick
    Free Member

Already got one of those

a Kobe 😛

slowrider
    Free Member

Prophet is 200×57, at least my brothers is…

Are bottlerockets 1.5 steerer?

z1ppy

slowrider – Member
    Prophet is 200×57, at least my brothers is…

Well then he hasn’t the std shock size fitted & run the risk of a tyre->frame interface (runs the risk, not a definite).. std size is 200×50

5lab

bullet is a 1.5, as are some coves

you can get headsets to turn some tapered headtubes to run 1.5s as well, which would open up a world of oranges etc.

accu
    Free Member

SC bullit has 216×57….

mega seems to fit the specs…if you like steep! seatangles..

thought E2/tapered headtubes won`t accept 1.5s..

slowrider
    Free Member

Didnt they do several versions of the prophet with different travel etc?

z1ppy

Propet SL – 120mm fork & rear travel (190×45 shock)
    STD Prophet – 140mm fork & rear travel (200x50mm shock)
    Prophet X – 160mm fork travel & 140mm rear travel & QR axle (200x50mm shock)
    Prophet MX – 160mm fork travel & 140mm rear travel & 12mm axle(200x50mm shock)

All are based on the same frame, the MX (also available as a 4x) got the 12mm rear axle and extra gusseting around the headtube to take the 160mm forks (X is the same but no 12mm axle).

Oh and Prophet MX/4x had the ISCG chainguide mounts maybe the the X’s too, but not sure

dlr

I have this for sale, no icsg tabs but 142×12 syntace rear (have proII axle for sale as well), 160mm, 1.5″ head tube althought currently fitted with a reducer headset Cube Fritzz

dans160
    Free Member

Pretty much anything made by Intense.

z1ppy

not shock wise, as I was going to suggest the Tracer…

freeridenick
    Free Member

dlr – thanks but needs to be a 16/small.

Mega does fit the bill. might wait though for a few more to hit the ground and be ridden…

having the air and a coil for big mountain duties is my plan

don’t really have a problem with the steep seat tube. on a 15.5 it would be well out the way for descending anyway and should make it climb well..

accu
    Free Member

the steep seatangle will make it a good climber ..of course..
    had a blue pig for a while and wasn`t really happy with…center of weight was too forwarded for me…personal preferences..
    but..really like the mega`s..

Kryton57

Jenson USA have tracer frames for about £899….

freeridenick
    Free Member

accu – interesting, i think a test ride on a mega would be good idea.

oink
    Free Member

devinci frantik – a few frames going very cheap at freeborn

Deveron53
    Free Member

A I being thick or will a setback post and longish saddle compensate for a steep seat tube?

freeridenick
    Free Member

oink – they look nice but are they 200*57 shock

can you really fit a 1.5 steerer in a tapered headtube? seems odd to me – which headset would do that as 5lab suggested?

z1ppy

I find it hard to believe (but am happy to be disproved), and think he’s got it confused with the option to fit tapered forks to headtubes that take 1 1/8 zero stack headset (such as giant)

freeridenick
    Free Member

that was my thought – not sure a 1.5 inch would fit through the hole 😯

Deveron53
    Free Member

I have a Mega with 1.5 forks. Measure across the inside of the head tube, if it’s 44mm top and bottom, you will get a 1.5 steerer through but you’ll need to use external cups. Nukeproof make shallow and deep flange cup headsets, get the shallow flange ones for 44mm tapered-compatible head tubes.

greasemonkey
    Free Member

I’ve a Gemini I’m considering selling on as going 29er for a trailable commuter bike, plus my ridings gone very xc lately due to a nasty case of Dupuytrens contracture (hands ****) lots of upgrades, owes me a good fistful over a grand (hate to think really)

Am considering selling her for close to £900 when the time comes (v soon) but joined here this evening n saw this. prob a bit late now?

Lee.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Cube Stereo
    Cube Fritzz

neilnevill
    Free Member

tracers crack (supposedly – look around on the usual forums…) I was looking around the other week for exactly the same eason – saw some 1.5″ lyriks at 300 new, was thinking tracer as its basically the same as a nomad which I’d love, found the tracer for 900…then remembered they all crack. Put my credit card back in my wallet and stepped away from the computer….
    nomads have the large headtube…..but aren’t cheap.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Any frame using a zero-stack headset (designed for 1 1/8″) using a 44EEOS headset. I could fit a 1.5 steerer to my Giant Reign.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Frames with 1.5 inch headtubes – whats out there’ is closed to new replies.