Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Frame Straps for tube/levers etc
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Looking for something to use on teh frame to carry a tube (29), tyre levers and probably small CO2 pump. Was looking at these 3:

Race Face Stash
    Louri MTB Strap
    Dakine Hot Laps Gripper

Anyone use any of them?

Bez

I’ve got a Louri. Nice quality bit of kit but it didn’t seem to work out for what I wanted to do with it.

(Still in its packet unused, the limited edition Jo Burt flowers one. Might sell it, maybe.)

I’ve gone with rolling my stuff up into a 3 litre Alpkit Airlok Plus and velcro strapping it to the top of the seat stays—but that’s on a road/gravel bike with guards.

welshfarmer

Tube on my Gnarr bike is fixed with a Louri strap. Been on there 6 months and not moved a mm. Very strong and well made. I tried one of the £2 Polaris ones and after 1 ride (a bit muddy) it worked loose and the velcro no longer worked. Went straight in the bin.

honourablegeorge

Raceface one is crap, Dakine is good

whitestone
    Free Member

I use an Alpkit top tube bag but mounted inside the frame.

Either like this:

frame bag

Or this:

frame bag

jayx2a
    Free Member

Might try the Louri – how many colour options!!!

submarined
    Free Member

Bollocks to strapping anything to my frame for an extended period where grit and mud can get in. Want it on here some guy had his posh carbon superbike’s paint all shafted very quickly from similar?
    Strap it all against the seat rails. That lots quite compact

sl2000

No problems with the Polaris Fixies for me. I’ve used them for a year, haven’t had a hint of them coming loose in any conditions, and think they’re brilliant. Use them full length on a fat-tubed bike and cut down on skinny steel tubes. And they’re only 70p each in the 10 pack: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polaris-Fixies-Fastening-Straps-10-Pack/202290268735

jayx2a
    Free Member

Let me know if you deceide to sell the Jo Burt flowers one.

sl2000

lots of cheap options on ebay:

The problem with the cheap ones is that they are normal velcro so don’t cope with things that aren’t the right size. The Polaris Fixies are ‘made from Hook-Loop dual, a new type of hook and loop tape where the hooks are mixed in with the loops so that it fastens to itself’ so adjust to any diameter.

kirkg
    Free Member

i used a louri strap for a few months on my brand new carbon bike and it damaged the frame.

I’ll never use one again.

Ive been checking out wee cog saddle bags as a replacement but haven’t gotten round to ordering one yet so no idea how good they are.

greenskin
    Free Member

Screw Louri, that chancer ripped of Backcountry Research, used to be their distro, until they found out he’d started making and selling his copied version. Go through silverfish and get yourself an original Mutherload.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have a brand new Dakine Hot Laps (field camo) Gripper that’s not wanted if anyone’s interested.
    £14 posted
    nsfweb at me dot com

Onzadog
    Free Member

greenskin

Subscriber
    Screw Louri, that chancer ripped of Backcountry Research, used to be their distro, until they found out he’d started making and selling his copied version. Go through silverfish and get yourself an original Mutherload.

Wow, way to get a story totally and utterly back to front!

greenskin
    Free Member

Okay, who are you? The bloke who ripped them off? Louri came into being circa 2017. BR were around before then, but you crack on fella.

Rubber_Buccaneer

used to be their distro, until they found out he’d started making and selling his copied version

Is that really what happened?

fathomer

I use the Nukeproof one which is basically another copy of the Louri / Backcountry I think. Works well and a bit cheaper.

Oh and a bit of frame protection tape in the right place will save the frame from any damage.

orena45

Check out  MTB Strap On . Hand made in Cornwall and available in your choice of colours and in different sizes 👍

greenskin
    Free Member

Backcountry making straps circa 2015, Louri appears with an identical strap circa 2017.

dusterbenny
    Free Member

Granite Rockband. Does the job and is less than half the price of the competitors.

It takes a couple of weeks shipping from `China, but you can now order through amazon.

Had mine for going on 6 months and its spot on.

https://www.granite-design.com/rockband

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is that really what happened?

Good question. The answer is no, not actually. Like most stories, if you trim it down to two lines,you can be certain that all the facts get lost.

Yes, Back Country were making straps before Louri. Louri didn’t import Back Country, Cyclorise used to.

Neither company was making straps while importing Back Country.

And no, I don’t work for any bike related company.

greenskin
    Free Member

Ah right. So basically louri ripped off the design much later. Ah that’s okay then.
    Are you Thomas or one of his mates?

Onzadog
    Free Member

So, of all the similar straps mentioned on this thread, in your mind, Louri is the only one to have “ripped off” Back Country?

I don’t think I’m the one with the bias here.

As it happens, I do own a couple if Louri straps. A black one to hold a small dry bag under my saddle and a limited edition of the Jo Burt one, just because it’s lovely.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Alfatex velcro straps on Ebay…. Cheap as chips and available in different lengths and widths.

docgeoffyjones

+1 for MTB strap on.

MSP

wolftooth b-red strap, if you have some spare bottle bosses on your frame.

B-RAD Medium Strap and Accessory Mount

sarawak
    Free Member

Why not toe straps?

clubby

Just use an f’in saddle pack. Keeps your frame safe and your gear mud and grit free.

MSP

saddle packs are not good with dropper posts, clearance can be especially tight on 29ers

survivor

Sarawak beat me to the budget option…. I use a toe strap I had lying around and I haven’t died yet.

Kuco

I use to use toe straps but found they didn’t hold things quite right so ended up getting a Dakine one that does a much better job.

andrewh
    Free Member

No one mentioned Mt Zoom yet? They are excellent. Been using them for years, everything from holding a tube to fixing a broken frame bag to holding on a shoe with a bugvered ratchet.
    HANDY STRAP – 15g

alpin
    Free Member

Birzman strap. Two four peanuts. Rubberised back and decent velcro. Can be trimmed to length to suit frame.

https://www.rosebikes.de/birzman-anti-slip-befestigungsstraps-klettbander-2675433?channable=a12062.MjI4MTgxOTAx&source=detail&sku=228181901&product_shape=42&article_size=6075&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo7foBRD8ARIsAHTy2wl45YMpVHGDRZLXrgTIhKhj8JRy-i6PF0oaoU8fbO6uvKxHq-isYZcaAhShEALw_wcB

Got given a Back Country strap with the loops, but find the cheap and basic Birzman straps just fine.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Specialized SWAT one for me, as I run the Spec saddles, it’s a really easy swap between bikes & works well 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Good old electrical tape if you want the properly cheap solution.

blokeuptheroad

Another Louri user here. Rock solid secure with tube, tyre levers, CO2 inflator and spare canister. I have heletape on the top tube where it lives so no scratches to the frame. Comes off every now and then for a hose down when washing the bike if it’s got particularly muddy.

duckers
    Free Member

Thing is about those velcro straps, they allow the tube and tools to move about a little and a couple of times I had it come loose and either dropped the tube or come very close over rough terrain.
    I’ve always used a small saddle back for a multitool, levers, patches, etc, and electrical taped a spare tube jammed between the top tube and seat tube. I have a Carbon frame and the tape hasn’t caused any permanent damage and any sticky residue from the tape comes off easily with GT85 or similar.

cheers_drive

If you don’t like the potential downsides of a frame strap you could try our Piggy on bike storage products. Higher capacity and more stable than simple straps and they still work with your multi tool and other hard items once you’ve used the tube. Available with a bag to keep stuff clean and dry.
    76 Projects Piggy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Frame Straps for tube/levers etc’ is closed to new replies.