Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Frame lifespan
  • marcus
    Free Member

So I’ve just dragged the old Orange 5 off the garage wall with the intention of getting it up and running again. I think it’s a 2007 bike, but it’s not seem much use in the last 5 0r 6 years . Most of the components look like there going to need replacing / servicing which I’m assuming can still be carried out by hope / sourced. What I’m less sure about is the potential for frame degradation. There’s clearly been some oxidisation of the aluminium and the paint appears to be peeling in places. What are people’s thoughts – I don’t want to spend money on new components for the frame to collapse on the first ride. Cheers

Northwind

Oxidisation almost certainly won’t have hurt it- basically use is what fatigues an alu frame.

I still wouldn’t spend a lot on it mind- enough to get it going, sure, but if it needs any bigger expense it’s probably not going to make much sense

wheelsonfire1

My year 2000 Gringo is still going strong – the aluminium frame is the only original part! Hammered round The Peak District regularly still and other local trails, I wouldn’t worry too much, just check regularly for cracks.

hooli

Frame will be fine, I suspect the drivetrain will be too. Shock and fork will need a look as the seals may have gone. Similar for brakes but other than that I’d just give it a good wash, lube and check over before riding it to see what else needs attention.

thols2

What I’m less sure about is the potential for frame degradation.

It won’t degrade if it’s been stored indoors.

Davesport

If you are concerned, clean the frame until its spotless & inspect each node/weld on the frame. No need to remove the paint but if there’s flaky paint or oxidation get rid of it. You’re looking for hairline defects that typically form in areas of increased stress. IE welds & the parent metal closest to the welds. If you find nothing obvious I’d be happy to put it back into use.

shermer75
    Free Member

Keep going until it feels ‘flexy’

nickjb
    Free Member

Orange do have a bit of a reputation so I’d check it thoroughly for cracks before doing anything. If it looks ok then I can’t see much changing, it’s not that old. Only thing is it will have slightly dated geometry. I believe they benefit from an angled headset to slacken them a bit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Frame lifespan’ is closed to new replies.