Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fox or OneUp Dropper
  • prezet
    Free Member

I’ve had a v1 Transfer for a few years now – never had any issues with it. Had it serviced last year, and was told on the next service it’d probably need a replacement stanchion/post due to internal wear (seems to be an issue on these every couple of years as a friend had the same problem with his Transfer).

Anyway, I’m in the market for a new dropper and can’t decide between the v2 Fox 175mm or the OneUp 180mm. In my head the OneUp makes more sense being much cheaper and user servicable. However my heart wants the Fox – and it makes no sense to buy it, it’s £140 more expensive and I’d have to send it away for every service at a minimum of £100 a time. Plus it’s likely to suffer the same issues as the v1.

Head or heart?

teethgrinder

I had a 2019 Transfer. Lovely thing it was but only 150mm deep and a massive stack height. Started being slow to rise and needed a service which can’t be done at home (at least cheaply).

Hoyed a 210mm OneUp shimmed to 190mm on in its place. Not as bling, works just as well and easy and cheap to service.

joebristol

I’d be tempted to look at Bikeyoke tbh.

I’ve not had the Fox or Bikeyoke but had Brand X and Oneup. In my experience the Brand X barely ever needs touching and I only sold both of mine to get longer drop Oneup posts.

However, the 180mm Oneup was ok for a while but then started to need the top cap unscrewing / bushing cleaned and regreased and screw back together quite regularly – otherwise it would get sticky on the return.

I picked up a rebuild kit cheaply and have redone it and it feels a bit different in its action now. It hasn’t slowed down yet so I wonder if they’ve change the top cap seal / bushing vs the original one I had.

Either way it’s needed more maintenance then I’d have liked. One of the guys in our riding group has exactly the same experience with the Oneup.

alpin
    Free Member

Have the one up 180mm on my bike. GF has the Transfer on hers.

Fox didn’t come with a lever and Fox’s attempt at a lever was a bit pants.

Both posts work.

Go with the one up.

njd187
    Free Member

Just serviced my One Up after 2 1/2 years use. Kit cost £11 post has no play now and works well easy job to do. I did have to re grease the bush a couple of time before i serviced it but its so easy to do so not a problem. I have just got a fox which came on a bike so far it’s very nice but it is new.

fathomer

£140 in your back pocket and more drop seems like a win win to me.

FWIW I’ve never used a Fox dropper but it’d have to be exception to be £140 better than the OneUp.

tetrode
    Free Member

My OneUp V2 has been faultless for 18 months, for me it would be a no brainer.

reluctantjumper

I’ve got a v1 Transfer that has had the internal wear on it once so far, it’s no better than the BrandX posts on my other 2 bikes! The Fox one just isn’t worth the money over any other option for me, to the point I’ve even stopped sending it for a service. I just dribble some lube under the seal every few rides, keep the cable moving freely and use it. It’s last service was when it had the shaft replaced and cost £170, it’s now meant to have had 2 more services so I’m more than £200 up. When it dies I’ll get a BrandX to replace it or whatever the cheap dropper du jour is at that point.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Out of those two, I would have the OneUp. Between the OneUp and BikeYoke, it would be tougher to chose, but as much as I like my BikeYoke, it’s not worth double my OneUp V2 which has been on various bikes for over 2 years and still works fine. All i’ve done is grease the top collar & that is it.

lawman91

No brainer, OneUp for me. Have 2 of the 180mm drop posts and they just work, are easy to work on yourself and are cheap as chips to buy, service and rebuilt if you need too. Seem a great company to deal with too if you do have issues. I think the price and ease of service would be good enough, then for it to be pretty light, have plenty of drop and a super short overall length and seem just as smooth as any Reverb/Transfer or other high-end post I’ve tired, I can’t recommend it enough.

schmiken

My new bike is coming with a Fox Transfer. I’m going to sell it unused and replace with a OneUp.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was gonna post almost exactly the same thing as Hobnob. Even down to just having to pop the collar up and re-grease the One-Up.

Got them on two out of my three MTBs, will probably switch the third over too if I get a sale bargain sometime.

But if you just feel like having a top-end seatpost because you’re worth it, do consider the BikeYoke Revive.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

In operation the one up is no where near as smooth as either a fox transfer or BY revive

It’s not remotely on the same planet in terms of quality, again if that bothers you

I had a 210mm one up, infact had 2x, they both sounded awful and gritty and rough/rattly when extending, it’s got the best amount of drop per length by far, but it’s not got the same feel as the more expensive ones

If I was budgeting a build it would be a one up, if I was building it up with no cost in mind I’d choose transfer or revive all day long

simonchan
    Free Member

I had a v1 Transfer (old bike), v1 OneUp (sold-on) and now a v2 OneUp.

Like your mileage, the Transfer was faultless. I didn’t really own the v1 OneUp for long enough and sold it on to get a 210mm V2 (I have proportionally long legs). The one thing that is slightly annoying has been the need to add pressure to the post in the middle of winter – I like faster return – which is faff-tastically accessed by removing your saddle. Other than that, the bushing service is simple and quick and the post has run faultlessly.

Getting picky, it may not feel as nice to use as the Transfer, but that doesn’t affect my riding one iota.

honourablegeorge

Have two Bikeyokes, a Transfer and V2 OneUp. I’d have the BikeYoke over the Tranfer everybtime. As for the OneUp, I’m s bit disappointed with the crappy lever and the actuator/cable interface seems a bit crap too, but the action of the post and the price still make it a great option.

Northwind

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

If I was budgeting a build it would be a one up, if I was building it up with no cost in mind I’d choose transfer or revive all day long

Aye, this sums it up perfectly- especially now that Bikeyoke do a 210mm.

Have to say I’m pretty content with my Oneup, and I got really good fast service from them when I had a (totally self inflicted) issue. It’s great for the money, especially bearing in mind that it was literally the longest on the market when I got it. Just gave it its first proper service and it was in reassuringly good shape.

The Bikeyoke is definitely better but it’s definitely not almost twice as better, while costing almost twice as much. But damn it is a fantastic bit of kit, one of the best I’ve ever had and I am a proper tart. I wish I could drop the money to upgrade to the 210mm but I definitely won’t.

Haven’t used a Fox since the first one which was a bit crap but I know they got better.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’d love a 213 revive sadly it’s one hell of a long post, i can get a 210 one up and 200mm transfer in my frame with a bit to spare but not a chance on revive

Not sure what sort of frames could accommodate that really if your riding the correct sized frame

But I’d love one!

As above really for the money they are good, but if your coming from a revive or gen 2 transfer it’s really not the same and I’d feel a bit disappointed but maybe that’s just the tart in me 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

Dammit. I did order a OneUp this afternoon but now questioning my decision 😂

jake123
    Free Member

I removed a 150mm transfer factory and fitted a oneup 210mm on a brand new bike.

The oneup is very very close in quality, works 100% correctly. Finish is still above a lot of bicycle parts.
    You can’t service the fox posts yourself which is a big negative expense.
    The fox posts are also more outlay initially and all I can see is gained is bling.

Go for the oneup, I wouldn’t justify the extra costs for the fox personally.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Love my Oneup. Super easy to service and works really nicely. My Revive is slightly smoother and requires very slightly less effort to push down. That’s about the only difference in use. The big pluses for the oneup are size vs drop and that they’re really well priced.

beamers

Timely thread for me this one.

I’m weighing up the options for a dropper for my Orbea Oiz. The Fox Transfer is a factory fitted option so I was going to get one of those.

However, the OneUp is lighter, cheaper and can be serviced at home.

Looks like a no-brainer to me.

b33k34

Fox Transfer 150 on my sus bike is >4 years old and has been faultless (though I’ve broken a couple of levers and now use a Bontrager one). Serviced once, after 2 years, and they told me it was clean inside and hadn’t really needed it. I do run a Rear mudhugger most of the time – can’t help thinking that probably extends post life significantly.

However, the Transfer is indistinguishable in use from the Brand X I just put on the hardtail and the Brand X costs about the same as a Transfer service after you add shipping costs. It did feel heavy though – but I’ve didn’t actually do a weight comparison.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fox or OneUp Dropper’ is closed to new replies.