Home Forums Bike Forum Fox Fork Problems…Fork Stanchion Replacement…?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fox Fork Problems…Fork Stanchion Replacement…?
  • slowboydickie

Has anyone done this? I have scoring inside of the air chamber of a Fox 34 fork making it lose air. CRC / Silverfish say it is a “wear and tear issue” because some grit somehow got inside despite the fork being 8 months old, never had a token fitted etc. It is fairly tricky cleaning out the inside of the air chamber compared to doing a seal service.

So it looks like £300 for a CSU replacement plus £100 for a service. I came across a chap who will press in a single stanchion. I have not heard of this before. Has anyone had it done?

I have a few riding mates with relatively new forks having problems with Fox due to loss of air so I am assuming this is a problem.

For £400 I am minded to sell for spares and repair and buy a Rockshox, who I hear are more obliging on warranty issues.

singlespeedstu

What model of 34 is it?
    Can you fit a coil conversion?

singlespeedstu

What model of 34 is it?
    Can you fit a coil conversion?

Edit can only find coil conversion for a 36.

slowboydickie

Edit can only find coil conversion for a 36

Yep, I tried that with TF but its not available for the 34.

carlos
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure Rick @ Slick and Slide in Macclesfield can replace stanchions. Defo worth a call as he is a top bloke and really does know his stuff

http://www.slickandslide.co.uk/

oikeith

My friend had it done to his 36s by a place in Plymouth, its been fine and we went to Morzine after it was done.

bigyan
    Free Member

Dave at RSF fill fit stanchions. He normally has them in stock.

Its not a Fox authorized procedure but works fine as long as you press them in and out straight.

DezB
    Free Member

Silverfish say it is a “wear and tear issue” because some grit somehow got inside despite the fork being 8 months old

That is quite ridiculous! Did they inspect the fork and prove this?! The seals last longer than 8 months!

bigyan
    Free Member

It is fairly tricky cleaning out the inside of the air chamber compared to doing a seal service.

Did you try and clean the air chamber without removing the air shaft?

slowboydickie

Did you try and clean the air chamber without removing the air shaft?

🙂 that would be tricky. No, but to find a tiny speck of grit inside a 34mm by 450mm tube is quite difficult to be 100% certain.

MartynS

Another vote for rick at slick and slide in Macc.

well with a chat with him.

orena45

Another vote for Dave at RSF Suspension also.

slowboydickie

Thanks everyone. I be discussing a bit more with Silverfish first to see if I can persuade them to warranty the forks.

dmorts

You can also approach the retailer you bought them from.

Did the wear start happening before they were 6 months old and do you have any proof of that? If so you can go back to the retailer (not Silverfish unless you bought the forks from them) and use your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act. You could still do that at 8 months, but at 6 months the burden of proofing they’re faulty switches to you. Anything under 6 months is assumed to have been there when you bought the item.

Here’s a guide from Which https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fox Fork Problems…Fork Stanchion Replacement…?’ is closed to new replies.