Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fox 36 Grip 2 very slow rebound after service
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

I’ve just serviced the lowers on my Grip 2 Fox 36’s and now the rebound is really slow!

What Have I done wrong or is my damper faulty?

cheers

stevextc
    Free Member

Overgreased blocking a hole?

I’ve got FIT4 .. but there is a YouTube from Lost BikeCo… on this somewhere.

windysurfer
    Free Member

The main reason I service it was to remove excess grease from the air chamber so I don’t think it’s that.

Even with the lower legs off the damper is really slow to return and make a squelching noise when I compress the damper.

tjagain

Oil thats too thick?

windysurfer
    Free Member

5wt teflon in damper side and 20wt in air side as per Fox

Onzadog
    Free Member

So you’ve not even been in the damper then? Very odd. Even if you’d stuck the oils in the wrong legs, I wouldn’t have though the 20 wt would have cycled into the damper that quickly.

airvent
    Free Member

Not sure on that specific damper but assuming it’s a cartridge damper, changing the oil in the lower legs shouldn’t affect the damping at all. If it’s the type where the oil in the lower leg is used for damping, then you’ve most likely put the wrong weight or volume in, or blocked a port with grease.

Have you serviced the damper or just the lowers? This is key info.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Just the lowers and the air spring not touch the damper.

I did compress the damper with the lowers off, could that have screwed things up?

tjagain

something out of line causing increased friction? Top seal folded or damaged? with zero pressure in the air spring is it hard to compress?

airvent
    Free Member

Assuming we can rule out the possibility that you’ve accidentally adjusted the rebound setting somehow and havent been able to get it back to where it was with the adjuster, then yes logically you must have upset something when pushing the damper in by hand.

If you’re confident, try a damper service. Shouldn’t be that much harder than the lower leg service if you’re comfortable doing that.

Or take it to someone that knows what they’re doing and pay them.

windysurfer
    Free Member

It compresses OK, I’ve stripped them down again and the lowers slide on and off OK.
    There’s hardly any resistance when pushing the damper leg in with the lowers off.

survivor

You didn’t hit the rebound adjuster by accident to remove the lowers did you?

I remove the foot nut by backing it off a little leaving the socket on then hitting that to break the interference fit.

In my early days I caught the adjuster while doing this and it damaged the rebound components.

windysurfer
    Free Member

No, I used the socket as you describe.

BearBack
    Free Member

Grip 2 is open right so if you drop the lowers you need to remove all the Teflon you intend to put back.
    Otherwise you’re just adding more oil.
    I cracked some brand new 831s to do a travel change, emptied the Teflon into a jar, measured what came out and put that volume back. Didn’t have to cycle through the damper that way…or at least I though that made sense at the time.

survivor

Grip2 is a cartridge but has an overflow port to release excess oil that is dragged past the seals.
    You put the damping fluid in as lowers oil as it will inevitably get in.

Clever idea really. I guess this is why other cartridge forks pop eventually as they drag lowers oil into the closed system and run out of room to cope with the excess oil.

Doesn’t help OP mind you… 😂

survivor

Also

Pushing the damper in by hand shouldn’t cause problems as it just expels the excess oil if there is any. You didn’t do this loads of times at different angles did you? As in forcing more fluid out than in normal operation?

Can you feel the effects of rebound adjustment with the lowers off by hand?

As in fully open it has no resistance, fully closed its really slow?

windysurfer
    Free Member

rebound is working as in I can see a difference between fast and slow.If I compress the fork it just returns really slowly or really really slow depending a rebound speed.

I was just worried that pushing the damper in may have caused a problem as int the Lost Co how too guide he does mention not to cycle the damper before fitting as you would lose some oil.

I’m going to give everything a final check and if i can’t see anything I’ll give silverfish a ring and see what they say.

The fork has had a knocking noise hence the service.

bigyan
    Free Member

A lower service wont sort a knocking damper.

Silverfish will probably tell you they have never heard of a GRIP damper knocking. (if its within its warranty period you can send it to them for inspection).

windysurfer
    Free Member

It’s within warranty so I’m going to ring them and send it back.

I thought the knocking may have been due to the air spring being full of grease or there being low oil in the lowers so I checked both of those whilst doing a service.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Windysurfer

I have the same knocking noise on mine too

I’m assuming it’s in the grip2 damper somewhere… My mates serviced them and it seemed quieter, but now it’s back to just knocking on the initial travel.. You can’t hear it deep in the travel it just seems to knock as it either compresses or comes back up from full compression

It’s not so annoying in winter as you can’t hear it as much with all the slosh beneath your wheels but it’s very annoying come summer when it’s hard and dry as you can hear it over every bump

windysurfer
    Free Member

Hopefully Fax will sort out what every is currently wrong and that will also fix the knocking noise.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Let me know the outcome please if you will

I’ve not got anywhere with them tbh with it just get told its semi normal or could be this could be that

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 Grip 2 very slow rebound after service’ is closed to new replies.