Home Forums Bike Forum Fox 34 Rhythm vs Performance

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fox 34 Rhythm vs Performance
  • mboy
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking, that the only difference between the Fox 34 Rhythm and the Fox 34 Performance (with the GRIP damper) is in the CSU…? The Performance fork having a lighter, butted CSU and the Rhythm using cheaper, heavier plain gauge tubes…

Or are there other differences too?

kelvin

Which year? It was the case that the Rhythm also used the older (heavier) lower casting… but for new bikes out now (Rhythm are OEM) I “think” that’s no longer the case.

kelvin

Oh, lighter isn’t always better…

= ;87)

mboy
    Free Member

Which year?

19/20 model forks

Oh, lighter isn’t always better…

I’m aware of that… Lots of talk of the Rhythm being a significantly stiffer chassis than the regular 34, for approx 200g weight penalty. Hence why I’m trying to find out…

ta11pau1

The Bomber Z2 is basically a Rhythm 34 and lots of reviews state it’s slightly stiffer than a normal 34.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-marzocchi-bomber-z2-fork-is-impressive.html

While on the subject of bashing rocks, I found the Z2’s chassis was much stiffer than expected. Admittedly, Fox’s 34 chassis is also underrated by ’36 devotees for its rigidity and steering precision. Marzocchi’s 34-millimeter Z2, raises that bar, probably by another ten percent, with pinpoint steering accuracy in situations where I was using most or all of the fork’s travel to find a line down the rocks.

mboy
    Free Member

The Bomber Z2 is basically a Rhythm 34 and lots of reviews state it’s slightly stiffer than a normal 34.

Again… Hence my question…

I have a Fox 36 Factory on my full sus, and a 34 Performance on my hardtail, running 150 and 130mm travel respectively. The relative lack of stifness in the 34 is apparent, even when compared to other 34/35mm stanchioned forks I’ve had in the past! But I do like Fox as a general rule, and have been impressed by the GRIP damper even though it’s quite basic.

I can see that the Rhythm and Performance/Elite/Factory 34’s use a different air shaft, which signifies a different stanchion wall thickness. The GRIP dampers appear to be the same (can anyone confirm or deny?), and the lower legs look pretty much identical… Obviously, the Rhythm being OEM only means there’s a lot less information out there about it, I’ve the lowers off one to do a lower leg service but that’s as far as I’ve taken one apart so far.

ta11pau1

Yeah, the rhythm forks do use the 6000 alloy uppers (vs 7000 alloy on the performance and above models), and they’re stiffer and heavier. I’m pretty sure that’s the only difference, maybe different seals.

You may have some compatibility differences too, for instance the new fox 34 grip 2 damper won’t fit the bomber Z2. Not sure about the Fox 34 rhythm, not a lot of info out there, as you say.

mboy
    Free Member

Hmmm… Just found this…

It’s a list of 2017 Fox 34 components. I’m not sure if a 19/20 fork is any different… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway… I’ve just had word off Diaz that their new Fox 34 Runt will indeed fit the Rhythm model and in fact the Marzocchi Z2 too…

As for the GRIP2 damper… I guess we’ll wait to find out, but I doubt it’ll be compatible. GRIP2 has been a revelation on the longer travel chassis of the Fox 36 IMO, I’m not sure how much difference it can make in shorter travel applications myself, especially where people still expect a physical lockout. The stock GRIP damper seems good enough for most in say a 120/130 application, I just find the limitations of the stock air spring a little annoying, so am happy Diaz has seen fit to produce a Runt for the 34! 👍🏻

ta11pau1

The 2017 model is different, this is the 2017 lineup

Never heard of the Runt, looks identical to the MRP Ramp control cartridge.

mboy
    Free Member

Never heard of the Runt, looks identical to the MRP Ramp control cartridge.

I was gonna do a writeup and post my ride thoughts on a separate thread, not logged enough ride hours on it yet for a proper review probably, and then got landlocked by floods, had to work 2 weekends on the trot, then this Coronavirus BS has meant I’ve not ridden my full sus since the beginning of February!

First 3 rides though, it does what it claims to, that’s for sure!

As for “identical” to an MRP Ramp control… It’s far from identical. It’s actually quite a bit simpler, and arguably a lot more effective! I’ve run Ramp controls in Rockshox forks before, and run both an MRP Stage and a Ribbon for a while. The Ramp Control is better than running tokens IMO, but it’s only a slight improvement when it comes to mid-stroke support. The Runt makes an enormous difference! So much so, I’m surprised that Rockshox/Fox haven’t snapped up the patents yet, or bought out Diaz, and implemented it themselves… The extra mid-stroke support is very noticable, but you haven’t lost any of the adjustability you get with an air spring (in fact, you’ve gained more!). It’s like a half price PUSH ACS3 coil conversion, but it only adds 20g not 250-300g, and you can easily return your fork back to stock when you want to sell it.

I approached him about finding him a UK distributor (or offering to do it myself)… He’s not interested sadly, he’s a one man band busy making widgets (very good ones!) and fixing the suspension on locals’ bikes in Durango… It’s the first Cycling related thing I’ve purchased at full price in 10 years (I have spent 8 of that working in the trade mind), and I’m about to order another for my 34’s now I know I can swap between a Rhythm or the aftermarket models too…

The 2017 model is different, this is the 2017 lineup

I can only see a few cosmetic differences, nothing structural… I’d need somebody who knows a bit more than I do to confirm…

kelvin

I can only see a few cosmetic differences, nothing structural…

Well, you can see that ‘17 Rhythm uses the older lowers, look at the bridge. Don’t think more recent ones do.

tdog
    Free Member

@mboy

May you please respond to me re: DVO forks

Stigheed
    Free Member

This makes an interesting read as I had been considering replacing my Rhythm 34s, running at 130mm on on my Sonder Signal. I was looking at smoothing out the air ramp (previously using tokens) without making the forks dive too much.
    I stumbled across the Runt on line and took a punt. I am impressed, it does what the manufacturer claimed, it feels smooth and linear, with both small bump sensitivity and mid stroke support. It does take a bit of tuning the air volumes as small pressure changes make a huge difference

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fox 34 Rhythm vs Performance’ is closed to new replies.