Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fox 34 Rhythm or Pike?
  • rockandrollmark

Probably been done before a million times but which would you go for and why? To my kind the Fox Performance is a notch or two above a set of pikes for outright performance, but how does the Rhythm compare with the Rockshox?

Also, I know RS occasionally change the chassis and innards.. is this the case with Fox too? I.e would a 2018 Fox 34 be very different from the 2021 model?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are they comparable prices?

I know the Lyrik chassis has tested as stiffer than the 36. I believe people regard the Pike as being stiffer than the 34.

I have a 34 on my 29er HT and find it stiff enough. I also like the fact that it will take a bolt-on mud guard.

You’ll need to specify the exact Pike you mean for people to be able to compare dampers though.

joebristol

The Pike is definitely a stiffer chassis than the normal 34. The Rhythm is heavier and therefore a little stiffer than a normal Fox 34 – but it has the least good damper that Fox do.

If you’re comparing to a Pike with a proper charger damper of any sort in it the Pike is a no brainer for me out of the 2.

In new speak that’s a Pike Select+ or Ultimate.

I think the Pike Select is the old Revelation charger RC. I’d still probably take that over a 34 (and definitely over a Rhythm) as it has an ifp type damper which is pretty good.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’d pick the Rhythm, damping just seems to work better IMO.

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve got both, 34 on hardtail and pike on FS.

I prefer the pike all day long.

intheborders
    Free Member

Are Fox’s as easy as the Pike to work on (for the home mechanic)?

I don’t have a problem with a yearly shop service, but because the Pike is so easy to do a lowers service it means I do them every few months.

kelvin

What travel?

chakaping
    Free Member

What travel?

And which Pike?

And what are the prices?

snotrag

Although the chassis is quite basic o n the Rhythm (lower grade alloy tubes, heavier casting), the basic Grip damper is actually really really good – remember this is what is known as the sweep damper in the current Marzocchi range.

I rally liked my 34 Rhythm.

docrobster
    Free Member

I put a 34 rhythm on my hardtail. Did jacobs loop on it yesterday. Really impressed with stiffness and control. Not ridden a modern pike but I only paid £375 for it which is revelation money not pike.

stcolin
    Free Member

My girlfriend has a Rhythm 34 on her Liv Pique. I have a 2016 RC Pike on my Reign. The Rhythm definitely has much better small bump sensitivity.

joebristol

In fairness the 2016 Pike RC is probably the charger 1 damper. The new Pike is on a charger 2.1 with less hsc on the open setting (ultimate has 5 clocks hsc adjustment), generally more slippery seals and fluid in it. I had a Pike of the same vintage as yours and found it ok – but not as plush as the charger 2 Lyrik on my other bike.

I’ve got a silver Pike Ultimate RC2 sat in a box behind me waiting for a new hardtail frame – I’m expecting this to be a step up over the older Pike I had. Interesting to see how it’ll fair vs the Lyrik rct3 on my fs bike. If it’s decent I could be tempted to get another to replace the Lyrik and save some weight on that bike (it’s 140mm forks – although can also take a 150mm one).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fox 34 Rhythm or Pike?’ is closed to new replies.