Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Fox 34 Rhythm fork
  • pembo6
    Free Member

Ive got a Fox 34 Rhythm 140mm 29er fork (Grip damper) which has been great. Super smooth and no issues. Been serviced recently, new oil and seals. Ive taken it on a couple of slightly more gnarly rides recently (instead of the big rig) and on some square edge hits it feels like it is bottoming out harshly. There is a bit of a clunk noise and a feeling like the fork has stopped in its travel. But the travel indicator is still showing another 10-15mm available, so it’s definatly not bottoming out. And there are no features where I would expect to bottom out with a 140mm fork.

For what it’s worth, I’m about 80kg with gear. Running approx 90psi with zero tokens.Usually running compression 90% open to fully open. Rebound set smack bang in the middle and seems OK I think. Doesn’t kick too much on jumps.

Any ideas what the harsh feeling is? Perhaps too much oil trying to pass through the damper at once on larger faster hits? Maybe needs firmer compression setting or a fiddle with the rebound?

bigginge

Too much oil in the lowers?

pembo6
    Free Member

Interesting suggestion. I doubt this is teh case, but ya never know.
    If there is too much oil in the lowers, will that stop the fork from reqaching full travel?
    Rather than draining and re-filling with oil, could I test this by simply removing all air and seeing if the fork compresses through full travel?

bigginge

could I test this by simply removing all air and seeing if the fork compresses through full travel?

I guess doing this would tell you if there is something that is limiting the travel of the fork and would be pretty quick to do. Just need to be careful to make sure to keep the negative air chamber pressure equalised when reducing and increasing the pressure in the main air chamber.

If you don’t get full travel with no air in it might still not be the oil level but that might tell you if it’s time to start taking things apart to see what’s really going on.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Fox 34 Rhythm fork’ is closed to new replies.