Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fox 34 float, Fit 4, pressures ?
  • iainc

Have one of these on my Anthem, it’s this one :

Fork: Fox 34 Float Performance Elite, 120mm Travel, FIT4 Damper, 15×100 KaBolt, Tapered

Works well but struggling to use more than 90-100mm of its 120mm travel. I am 12.5 stone and had it set up initially at 85 psi giving around 15-18mm of sag. Dropped it the other day to 75 and seems a bit better. Curious as to other rider weights/air pressures with same fork.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Have the same fork. Run 70psi. weight 80kg. Use fully open mode 80% of time with 4 clicks of rebound.
    The fox website pressures are way out. I took a token out for similar reasons as your describing.

andy4d

I have the 150mm version and was surprised how low I had to set my pressure to get full travel compared to my old rockshox.

iainc

Good info, thanks. I had the rebound 7 from slowest,5 from fastest. Will let a little more air out and try it at 65/70, cheers.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

The token made a big(psychological?) difference and was super easy to do. I’d start with lower pressures first. Great fork, set up right mine has great small bump, even at speed and is great through the mid stroke. My o ring tells me I bottom out a fair bit but it ramps up so nicely towards the end that I don’t think Ive ever noticed.

honourablegeorge

18mm sag seems very little for a 120 fork. 24-30mm would be 20-25%.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Fox recommend 15% 18mm for “firm” and 20% 24mm for “plush” I have runs with 20% and used the middle damping setting adjusting to full open for downhills but that required too much concentration and I was getting the best small bump performance ever with 15% sag so stuck with that.

dumbbot
    Free Member

https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=551

18mm/15% is fox ‘firm’ recommended sag setting, 24mm/20% ‘plush’.

I’ve got some 2016 fit4 32’s, and im running them at around 18mm, i found them divey on the plush setting. Different fork i know, maybe i should play around with tokens…but i always like to leave some travel for when i inevitably over cook something.

:too slow 😆

iainc

Pahoehoe – yeah, that’s what I was following too, but given advice, and your pressures at a similar weight, I’ll drop mine to 70 and try tomorrow, then maybe 65. I also tend to pop it fully open on decent descents. My 12.5 stone is in riding kit…

iainc

settled on 60 psi and it seems ideal now, getting almost all the travel most rides, cheers all.

eb2429
    Free Member

Like you all I had to set the pressures lower on both sets compared to suggested, to get the correct sag (mine are 150mm Travel 34’s).

Thinking of taking a token out on both sets (factory setting is with 2 i believe) as we never get much into the travel due to rider weights, except for one day at BPW where we were up to 140mm-ish.

iainc

interesting, wonder what target rider weight they use in factory when setting up…

rhayter

I have the same issue. Might be worth checking the volume of oil in the shock. Mine came from the factory with 27ml in. They’re supposed to come with 5ml. Even after that I run them at 95psi (I weigh a huge 105kg) and rarely get near full travel (admittedly, I’m not that ‘gnar’ a rider). I’ve tried taking a token out and didn’t feel much difference. It’s the mid-stroke I’d like a bit more support on. If I run at lower pressures, I get closer to full travel but the fork dives on descents, even with low speed compression cranked up.

iainc

Thanks, mine work well mid travel and now I have dropped the air to 60 they are great, and are getting over 100mm of the 120mm all the time. Haven’t bottomed them yet mind you.

cuda17
    Free Member

Did anyone else find the “stick” before traveling??

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The fox website pressures are way out

This.

I just ignored the pressure guide and set mine to 25% sag and 4- clicks from fast rebound. On “trail” setting 2 clicks down from firm.

Blurboy
    Free Member

I’m 190lbs and struggled to get the pressure right to get max travel without being too harsh or too soft, until I fitted a MRP ramp control. This enabled me to drop the pressure, I currently run 70 psi, which gives a plush feel but I can tune the ramp control, variable token control, to prevent too much dive under pressure. Works for me. Slightly amazed that the ramp control functionality isn’t standard on all forks. I change the setting depending on what I am riding on.

sri16v
    Free Member

I have 34 performance elite on my trance 1, I have noticed I’m not quite bottoming out, I’m 11st wet so need to drop the pressure a little.

Awesome fork , would go as far and say they are better than the pike rct3 I had on a trance 27.5 that I bough brand new and the pike solo air on my reign which was also new and I regularly bottomed them out when riding (with 2 tokens) big jumps and drops

The fox 34 just seems a lot more subtle and plush in every situation and firm enough when needed!

iainc

Having a read back at this. So in riding kit I weighed myself at 13 stone. Running 65 psi in the fork I have about 25mm (20%) sag and get close to full travel but never quite bottom it out, though can get to within 8-10mm of it. How does this compare to others ? Wondering if I should take a volume reducer out – it’s is setup in factory settings with 5 for 120mm travel.

edit – weird how the order of the previous original posts got all mixed up 😐

iainc

Update, took 3 of the 5 volume spacers out and set pressure at 75psi. At last it feels right !  Thanks for all the advice.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

The order of the thread is FUBAR – reads like I’m the op! Glad you sorted it – I didn’t get on with FOX forks in the past (long time ago circa 2005) but these are sensationally good forks and apart from a mini lowers service have required nothing more than occasional air top up.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fox 34 float, Fit 4, pressures ?’ is closed to new replies.