• This topic has 218 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Bear.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 219 total)
  • Fountain pens?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

@ElShalimo – no it’s by Wordsworth & Black.

dakuan
    Free Member

Kaweco

cranberry
    Free Member

A very nice ink, how heavy is the Kaweco ?

Denis99
    Free Member

Shouldn’t have watched this thread…..

I am old enough to have used fountain pens when I was in school, 1960’s, before biro’s became the standard use.

Spent a bit of time researching, always liked a nice pen.

So have bought a Faber Castell Loom with ink converter.

Looking forward to using an ink pen again.

CountZero

It’s well worth having a look through jetpens.com fountain pen section, there’s some great looking pens from the likes of Moonman and TWSBI which aren’t stupidly expensive, around the $19-35 mark, there are even cheaper pens than that.
    This Pilot starter pen is $12.50:
    https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Kakuno-Fountain-Pen-Clear-Fine-Nib/pd/21933
    This one is the upper end of that price range:
    https://www.jetpens.com/TWSBI-ECO-Clear-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib/pd/16632
    Quite tempted by one of these:
    https://www.jetpens.com/TWSBI-GO-Clear-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib/pd/27623

grahamt1980

I have to admit to having bought a variety of inks, pen converters and a lamy joy calligraphy pen on the back of this thread. There is something about writing with a fountain pen that is lovely and now I can get away with using them for work then why not

ElShalimo

I love pens but can’t do caligraphy (not tried in >30yrs though)

Can anyone <span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>recommend</span><span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> any good online tutorials ??</span>

GTDave
    Free Member

Until a month ago, I hadn’t used one since primary school. The “Platignum School Cartridge Pen”.

Now I have a couple of Parker Jotters and Lamy’s for daily scribbling, and a few Moonmans, which write so nicely:

https://www.writershelf.com/article/moonman-c1-simplicity-finely-wrought?locale=en

prawny

I like a fountain pen, although I don’t write as much in my current job as I did and I haven’t really used mine for 6+ months now.

I prefer Japanese/Chinese pens over euro pens, the nibs on euro ones don’t tend to be fine enough for me.

I really want a Pilot Vanishing Point I could probably do without a ball point all together then, but the last time I looked they were £135 and I can get a lot of Jalapeño and cheese crisps for that.

colournoise

I need help.

Pretty sure there are 5 or 6 others kicking around that I couldn’t find…

Really sad thing is that if we have a mechanical pencil or ballpoint/rollerball thread I could post similar images for those too.

I do try to use them in rotation, but my most used/favourites are these.

GTDave
    Free Member

Ah, the mini Moonman / Wancai, a fantastic pocket pen!

colournoise

GTDave
    Ah, the mini Moonman / Wancai, a fantastic pocket pen!

Totally. Surprisingly good for what they cost.

CountZero

The TWSBI GO is looking particularly enticing, it’s got a lanyard loop on the cap, which makes it practical for work instead of using a ballpoint, I have two lanyards, one has my work radio on it, the other has my security dongle, a small Spyderco knife for zip ties, and a hacked Sharpie with a split-ring bodged into the clip and the clip taped closed – I’ve lost so many Sharpies out of various pockets, it’s the only way to keep hold of the damn things, so a fountain pen I can carry easily like that is very appealing.
    The price is good, too. The transparent one for the win, I can see how much ink’s in it.
    https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/TW67727/twsbi-go-spring-loaded-fountain-pen-clear

CountZero

Had some money refunded from a concert that’s sadly been cancelled, so I’ve just bought one of those TWSBI GO pens. Not much consolation, I was looking forward to the concert, it was an artist I haven’t seen for some years.

ElShalimo

Fountains of Wayne?

Fontaines DC?

Sorry, I’ll get my coat….

AdamW
    Free Member

Anyone try a Noodler’s flex nib? I’ve been hankering after a flex nib but I keep reading that the pens themselves actually stink due to the production process.

dakuan
    Free Member

A very nice ink, how heavy is the Kaweco ?

VERY 🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

This is my grail:

Nakayama pen
    Nakaya Cigar Portable Fountain Pen, Decapod (TW), Toki-Tamenuri

tall_martin

Off the back of this I’ve bought some ink for my fountain pens. Lock down seems a good time to start writing a diary again!

Any chance of some help?

I inherited my granddads gold parker pen 20 years ago but have never been able to use it.

The nib was bent by my cousin- thanks cuz- when we were kids. Last time I had a look at it the reservoir has perished and is now cracking up.

So I guess what I really need is a donor pen?

Cheers for any help 🙂

null

null

null

null

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    tall_martin

Awesome Thanks!

Is there any modern guts I can put in? Or should i jut buy an old one off ebay and replace the whole interior?

ElShalimo

I’m lusting after Charlie Luxton’s Pilot pencil..

cranberry
    Free Member

@tall_martin – a new converter for a Parker pen should be no problem:

Parker piston converter

EDIT: actually, given that the penworkshop in the link above service pens, I’d get in touch and see what they can suggest.

aP
    Free Member

Pencils?
    Worther Shorty Lead Holder does it for me:

CountZero

@ElShalamo – 🤣
    Sorry, none of those. It was Cara Dillon, Irish singer/songwriter, lives in Frome, it’s been nine, ten years I guess since I last saw her play, and she was going to play in my home town. Sadly now cancelled, hope she might get rebooked some time in the future.
    Maybe I can write her a letter with my new pen! 😁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Used to ride with a girl called Cara Dillon in London’s many years ago. After work spins around Richmond Park.

Trying to remember if she was the same one!

ElShalimo

@CountZero – maybe you could meet up and pen some new songs…

mrmo
    Free Member

@tall_martin

it might take a bit of hunting as its an old pen, but looks like there is no reason why you can’t change the nib, fit a new converter and be good to go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123845993403

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/127387-parker-65-nib-replacement/

mrmo
    Free Member

These are my two daily pens, a Mont Blanc slimline and a Sheafer Targa.

pen

tall_martin

@cranberry and @mrmo.

Thanks for the links! I’m going to chance an old pen and transfer the guts into mine. They seem to be £40 for a whole pen on ebay.

The thought of trying to take 50 year old plastics to bits and put it back together with specific vintage tools is not a great one.

The converter looks ideal if the donor pen turns up with a broken one.

Cheers
    Martin

ElShalimo

I’ve found out what pencil Charlie Luxton uses… Pilot Dr Grip Full Black.

Check out the ergonomics…. ooh err!

CountZero

maybe you could meet up and pen some new songs…

She’s a superb songwriter, her husband’s no slouch; I, on the other hand, don’t even have the songwriting skilz of a current Radio 1 playlister.
    Some goes for playing an instrument – I’d rather let the professionals do a proper job of it.
    Oh, my pen arrived this morning, it’s a lovely little thing, only had a quick scribble with it, but it seems smooth enough, and filling it’s so easy.

ElShalimo

👍

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well couldn’t decide between the TWSBI Eco and a Lamy Safari. Thought I’d order both. Problem is, mail services are screwed here atm and we’ve had no post for a week (but Aus Post say everything is fine).

I’ve got a few bits n bobs ordered that I’m waiting for and there’s no local suppliers in Perth that have these pens so will just hang on until things have settled a bit, as for how long that will be, who knows?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well I took the risk and it’s being posted to work… Liked the colour. Medium nib.

CountZero

Aphex, that should have the same nib as mine, and it’s really nice to write with, very smooth with no skipping, at least on the notepad paper I was making some reminders notes of new albums I want to get – certainly smoother than most ball pens, less pressure needed on the paper.

colournoise

Those TWSBIs are cool, just watch the join between the main barrel and the feed section. Seems to be an interference fit and not happy with being interfered with, even accidentally…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Said the priest….

I’ll keep any eye on it.

As far as ink goes, I’ve got a full bottle of Parker quink. Needs to be black and quick drying so my stupid left hand doesn’t smudge it. Any rec’s?

DrJ

Moleskines, thats another thread, always one on the go and I had an exhibition where I photocopied each page and hung them up; link below

Those are brilliant – are they ordinary Moleskine books? (EDIT – I realise that sounds a bit like “those are nice photos; what camera do you use?” 🙂 )

I bought a bunch of Moleskine noteboks when I fancied myself as the next Bruce Chatwin but I never found anything profound enough to write in them.

Now I am using mostly Leuchtterm dotted books. Still nothing profound.

DrJ

I’ve found out what pencil Charlie Luxton uses… Pilot Dr Grip Full Black.

Check out the ergonomics…. ooh err!

I have a few Dr Grip ballpoints and they are nice but the rubber bit goes sticky – seems to be a common problem with a certain type of rubber.

ElShalimo

In the mid 90s I found something very similar to the Dr Grip pencil on the street outside Manchester Uni main building.

It was fantastic but the rubber did go a bit sticky. It fell apart years later but it was a great pencil. I’ve been looking for another since then.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 219 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.