Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Prince Philip admitted to hospital.
  • gastromonkey
    Free Member

Prince Phil in hospital again. Being admitted to hospital at 99 years old can’t be good news.

Does anyone know what will happen when he passes away? Do we get a day off work for national mourning and his funeral?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Wont be so impressive a funeral under COVID rules…
    Bet they keep him on life support (or lie) until this is over.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

A royal funeral will still attract all sorts of crazy gammon to London even during a lockdown.

fasthaggis

Sometimes they can shed part of their tail to escape death.
    Makes ya think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone else come in expecting some weather-related bridge content and disappointed it’s just a load of people mocking someones possibly dying husband/dad/grandad/great-grandad?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I love this song.

Cougar

Anyone else come in expecting some weather-related bridge content

I’m just here to make a “time to build a fifth one, then” gag. I’m certain that’s totally original and never been thought of before.

markoulini

I’m currently making a lecture on bridge stability and the effect of wind action,so you can imagine my disappointment when I opened the thread.

footflaps

Is disappointed by thread title change…

fasthaggis

Is not disappointed by thread title change…

I love the Forth Bridges 🙂

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down

funkmasterp

I’m assuming they’ll just reanimate him again. I’m sure he’s been dead for years.

franksinatra

I struggle to care but then I remembered that Harry and Megan are expecting another child. Phil The Greek dying will bump them down the news agenda even more which will make them even absolutely furious. Wonderful stuff.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Prince Phillip, aka Phil the Greek aka The Casual Racist has been on the DeathList, usually near the top for most of the last decade. He’s put away some heavy hitters in his time.

I think it’s fair to say he gets whisked off to the nearest Private Hospital at the merest sniffle, such is his Privilege. It seems counter intuitive to me, but life expectancy, even without the special care he gets is around 2 years at the age of 99.

“Does anyone know what will happen when he passes away?”

If it’s thought he will die shortly, it’s likely we’ll all be notified to prepare ourselves for such terrible news.

I think in normal times, the News will show a lot of pre-recorded messages, and video until we’re all sick of hearing it. He’d lay in state for some time to give anyone who’s never seen a Corpse at chance to see him, then a period of national mourning and a large state funeral. Some Royal commentators (why do they always act like they’re Royals who commentate, rather than Commentators who follow Royals, they’re a weird bunch) think The Queen will pass all duties to Charles, but stay on the throne, some say she’ll retire, some think her distrust of old Charlie is so strong she plans to try to out-live him.

footflaps

He’d lay in state for some time to give anyone who’s never seen a Corpse at chance to see him

He’s looked dead for at least a good 10 years, so maybe they can skip that bit to speed things up a bit.

13thfloormonk

Sorry, can I ask for an explanation of the original thread title?

Phil The Greek dying will bump them down the news agenda even more which will make them even absolutely furious. Wonderful stuff.

Weird, I like them, anyone that thumbs their nose at the British Press the way they did earns my respect.

scotroutes

Operation Forth Bridge is the code name given to plans for his death.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Apparently the code for the Queen dying is “London Bridge has fallen”. The corresponding code for Philip is “Forth Bridge has fallen”. No idea if it’s true or a myth.

scotroutes

Actually, I should clarify that. It’s the plans in the event of his death, not like Operation Paris Tunnel.

Cougar

I think in normal times, the News will show a lot of pre-recorded messages

The BBC has an archive of pre-recorded announcements ready to roll for when people like Phil check out. I’ve heard part of the Queen’s, years ago. It’s kinda weird that she’s outlived her eulogy by at least 20 years. (I assume they update them periodically.)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My old business partner was BBC radio presenter and he assured me they had access to quite a library of announcements for all manner of folk. He spent a lot of time eventually at a local station and they even kept an updated bio on local ‘people of note’ so nobody would have to wing it.

LAT

I like them, anyone that thumbs their nose at the British Press the way they did earns my respect.

yet they issued pictures of them lounging under a tree to let everyone know that they were having another baby. i suspect that the need another one because they h have lost first one. it was nowhere to be seen in a recent picture of them lounging under a tree barefoot.

edit, by lost, i mean misplaced and not anything tragic.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

No idea if it’s true or a myth.

I could tell you, but I’d have to kill you…

Brother in law is one of the geeks behind our news spreading processes for multiple global news channels.

Let’s just say they’ve have two checks of the process/coding/messaging for a Royal death this last 12 months. Before that it was a once every few years mention in a meeting as AOB basically…

There’s pre-prepared everything, down to music choices being ‘calmed down’, comedy programmes replaced (etc) and no, but no, speculation until the Palace make an official announcement, 20minutes after a quiet ‘heads up’ to trigger the calming process.

So if Radio 1 suddenly starts playing Tchaikovsky….

grahamt1980

As long as we don’t have weeks of the dross that we had on radio and tv when diana died.
    At least we now have Netflix and spotify etc to save us

13thfloormonk

A rebuttal from Marina Hyde

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/16/harry-meghan-media-critics-worse

I’ll confess I barely follow the Harry and Meghan story, but on the basis that it upsets the British Tabloids so much I’m guessing they’re doing SOMETHING right…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I remember waking up to an instrumental version of Seal’s “Kiss from a rose” on Radio 1 the morning after Diana’s fatal crash, having been oblivious to any news before going to bed, instantly made me think something big had happened.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I had a Sunday paper round at the time Dianna died. I remember hearing the news on the radio before I went to bed then delivering papers the next morning that didn’t have any coverage of the biggest news story. It felt very odd asking the customers for the money when handing over a newspaper that was already old news.

martinhutch

Hopefully the one with the cannons. That should calm everyone down.

(12 mins in on this)

tpbiker
    Free Member

He’s always in and out of hospital. He’ll be back up and running in a few days. He also won’t have to put up with the threat of covid in the hospital, like the rest of us plebs

funkmasterp

Quick Philip! To the pool!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I remember waking up to an instrumental version of Seal’s “Kiss from a rose” on Radio 1 the morning after Diana’s fatal crash, having been oblivious to any news before going to bed, instantly made me think something big had happened.

I have vague memories of Judge Jules on R1 when the Queen Mum died, seemed an oddly OTT reaction to cancel Friday/Saturday night for the demographic that probably cared least.

PJM1974
    Free Member

As a fairly strident republican (in the anti-monarchist sense of the word) I’m not convinced that the tax avoiding, benefits scrounging, palace dwelling Windsors offer any real benefit to the country. I have several Tory acquaintances who love the idea of the royals willy-waving at the poor (albeit one of royals might allegedly have taken that a little too far), but I find the adulation and fawning all rather grotesque.

I realise that my views aren’t popular, FWIW, I’d turn Buckingham Palace into shelter for London’s homeless at the drop of a hat.

Drac

Let’s just say they’ve have two checks of the process/coding/messaging for a Royal death this last 12 months.

These claims have been made on here before, one I recall is the military practicing the drill for the funeral so he had days to go. The truth is that it’s normal for the military, press and support services to do this.

jonnybike
    Free Member

The only reason to have a royal family is extra bank holidays when one of them dies, has a birthday, gets married or has a baby.

If we don’t get one I begrudge paying for their funerals, weddings and christenings and paying their wages. Might as well not bother with them.

Houns

I was coming out of Miss Moneypennys in Brum when Di snuffed it. I was grateful of the day off

kilo

Apparently telling my then girlfriend that “Princess Peabrain is dead” on returning from the garage around the corner with bacon for breakfast and having seen some headline was not acceptable behaviour.

Harry_the_Spider

I was recovering from a few broken bones after a bike accident when The Nation’s Princess* was assassinated.

**** all on TV for 2 weeks and I couldn’t even waste the days playing Gran Turismo (not a euphemism) because my left arm and hand were trussed up. Miserable.

*Gawd Bless ‘er.

MartynS

The BBC has an archive of pre-recorded announcements ready to roll for when people like Phil check out. I’ve heard part of the Queen’s, years ago. It’s kinda weird that she’s outlived her eulogy by at least 20 years. (I assume they update them periodically.)

Sort of, there’s a whole host of obits and pre-recorded items to commemorate the persons life. These are kept up to date as you can imagine.

Should a senior Royal pass away the formal announcement would be done live.

devbrix
    Free Member

These are kept up to date as you can imagine.

Should a senior Royal pass away the formal announcement would be done live.

That’s a shame, would be quite surreal to see the announcement done by Peter Sissons.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Prince Philip admitted to hospital.’ is closed to new replies.