Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Prince Philip admitted to hospital.
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Has he admitted to any racism?

theotherjonv

I vaguely remember Diana but it was in my drinking and partying days and so for me and the GF it was ‘oh?’ and then an excuse for another few hours in bed.

The one that is like yesterday for me though was Elvis. I was only 8, in 1977 and my aunt and cousins were staying with us in the summer where my aunt was going through a difficult divorce. I got the paper from the front door, took it through the house to the kitchen where she and my mum were having the fist ciggie and coffee of the day. As I went through I was reading the front page and asked who Elvis Presley was. Why, they asked so I showed them the front page and the sheer disbelief on their faces still stays with me.

Northwind

I was working in a nightclub (Jaffa Cake in Edinburgh) when Diana died, we found out when the cleaner came in at about 5am in tears. Ancient scottish dude who looked like a walnut, still getting up at every day to go and mop up sick for a couple of quid an hour… So it started out pretty much how it continued for me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Didn’t find out about Diana until mid afternoon. Me and the lass didn’t have a TV or bother with the radio. Went windsurfing playing CDs in the van on the way, we got out early, sailed for ages and had a tea or two in the van. Mid afternoon we’d had enough, popped into the local sailing club bar and someone asked me “What about Di and Dodi then?” I said “What?”, he said “They’re dead!” And I stood the like a lemon waiting for the punchline…

MoreCashThanDash

Woke up on the Sunday morning of Diana’s death and went to the gym. First heard the news on the radio, then had the worlds shittiest hour of cardio as that was all the TV channels were showing. There’s a lot to be said for exercising outdoors!

She Who Became MrsMC was in Russia that year, where state funerals and national mourning were a proper thing. Her colleagues couldn’t figure out why she didn’t need to take a couple of days off. She missed the overreaction to Diana’s death (and The Spice Girls, and The Telly Tubbies)

scotroutes

Mrs Routes and I were at Donnies Farewell Runrig concert in Stirling on the Saturday night. By the time that ended, we got to the car park and drove back to Edinburgh, Diana’s accident was already on the news. At that point, it was that she’d been taken to hospital but there was no suggestion her life was at risk. Of course it was all over the radio in the morning.

I was working evening shifts when Elvis died. Got home about midnight, switched on fade-in/fade-out Radio Luxembourg and couldn’t work out why they were playing back to back Elvis tracks until there was eventually a break and the DJ explained.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Elvis I can remember been out for a curry with a mate. He went into his place and I walked off. 30 seconds later he’s running down the road shouting ‘Elvis is dead!,’.
    He was a fan…
    I remember JFKs death. It was a Friday, one of the 2 times a week we’d go to the village phone box to wait for dad to call when he was working away. It all felt very dark and gloomy that day and mum was really upset.
    I was too. TV was only showing a black and white still image (of a rose?) and playing somber classical music. No cartoons.

perchypanther
    Free Member

He’s just doing the expedition part of the Duke of Edinburgh in a ward scheme.

© Milton Jones – Twitter

crazy-legs

Woke up on the Sunday morning of Diana’s death and went to the gym.

I was doing a road race – some sort of Surrey League or South East Road Race League thing. Early start and we drove down there in a mate’s car just listening to cassettes.
    Mid way through the race, some guy rode up alongside me and said “Did you hear Princess Diana has died?”.

I was like – what sort of shit are you trying to pull here, is this some prelude to an attacking move that i don’t know about – stun the opposition with bollocks news and then attack.

Course it was the only thing on the radio on the drive home. Got back at lunchtime and told my Mum. My Mum always had the radio on, it was the first thing she did every morning, come down to the kitchen, put the radio on. Except that day 🙄
    To this day my Mum insists it was my sister who told her – she has absolutely no recollection of me walking into the kitchen still in some of my cycling kit and telling her that news.

Harry_the_Spider

I was aged 8 and stood in the car park at Boscastle when the Elvis news came over the car radio. It was raining.

There were photos of naked people in the Witchcraft Museum, so the day wasn’t all bad.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

There were photos of naked people in the Witchcraft Museum, so the day wasn’t all bad.

Way to turn that frown upside down! 👍🏼😀

Harry_the_Spider

That is how I intend to console myself when Phil checks out.

FB-ATB

Remember Elvis, but to a 9 year old he was old & past it. My Mum was a Buddy Holly fan & Dad Nat King Cole so was probably used to the idea of dead musicians. I was more upset when Gloria killed Marc Bolan a month later.

Saw the news re Di whilst swimming at the gym, catching a glimpse of the TV screens.

At work the next day I had to phone a warehouse in Detroit we shipped goods to check on deliveries and any damages en-route. First thing my contact said was “We’re so sorry for your loss”. When I asked her to elaborate she referenced Di and was shocked when I said something along the lines of “phew I was worried it was something important and we’d lost a container full of alloy wheels overboard”

FB-ATB

@Harry_the_Spider

That is how I intend to console myself when Phil checks out.

So Phil checks out and Harry cracks one out. Each to their own!

beanieripper
    Free Member

Dont really get the whole royal family thing or it’s relevance to modern life…super lucky, not particularly bright, racist, old school,not relevant old guy gets really old, gets best healthcare in the world and inevitably dies shocker..

scotroutes

#ForthBridgeDown is trending on Twitter

matt_outandabout

Hmm.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Charles went to visit him today…makes you think.

RustySpanner

Not a fan of the Monarchy, but Liz has put a good shift in.

Despite all the recent shenanagins that have emerged regarding protecting her wealth, I quite admire her for that.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Don’t watch or read the news… Is he dead yet?

malv173
    Free Member

She has done a proper bit of hardcore political lobbying. She, and the rest of them, can do one IMO.

And a sizable chunk of her wealth has come directly from our pockets. She owns the ****ing seabed around Britain ffs.

Don’t wish them any actual harm, but I won’t mourn their passing either.

ElShalimo

So was Charlie breaking Covid rules with his visit? Or will they say it was affairs of State?

scotroutes

I believe the rules allow a visit if the patient is end-of-life.

Drac

So was Charlie breaking Covid rules with his visit?

No, hospitals have set rules for visitors and Charles was the only only one who visited. Travelling for such things is also allowed. The fact the family are all ‘gather around’ does not sound promising.

convert

If he does die it’s going to give them a bit of thinking to do. A plebs small scale covid measures funeral to show solidarity with what everyone else has had to suffer or pull the royal card on some spurious national importance reason and further cement the them and us feelings of many of us.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Go back to the second post in this thread. 😁

MoreCashThanDash

So was Charlie breaking Covid rules with his visit?

No he wasn’t. Unless people want to start yet another pointless internet argument.

ElShalimo

I only asked as many people have Not been able to that in the last year.

ratherbeintobago

(Limited) visiting patients who are near death has been allowed for much if not all of the last year. One might imagine that a 99yo, especially a 99yo with the resources to get pretty good healthcare at home but admitted to hospital, who’s son was photographed crying as he left the hospital, would fall into that category.

@13thfloormonk
    Hyde is great, isn’t she?

zippykona

Don’t COVID rules only apply to humans?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No he wasn’t. Unless people want to start yet another pointless internet argument.

How so? News has said he is not seriously ill, let alone near death.

All internet arguments can be seen as pointless, BTW.

chrismac

Charles has either broken the rules, even at private hospital, or they are lying about how sick he is.

tjagain

I suspect underplaying how sick he is

chrismac

When he does pop his clogs will the benefit cheques be reduced to reflect the reduction in people and presumably his servants will be made redundant to save the taxpayer some money? Im sure benefits are normally stopped when someone dies

ratherbeintobago

We don’t keep people in hospital unless they’re too unwell to be at home – it’s not the 1950s. There is a significant amount of evidence that well elderly people come to harm in hospital.

My money is on underplaying.

davefor
    Free Member

This is of course someone’s husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather – wishing him a speedy recovery.

stumpyjon

wishing him a speedy recovery.

Or given his age a peaceful and painless passing.

theotherjonv

This. If the reports are correct, at this stage of life whatever your politics or opinions, he’s just a human and deserves a peaceful passing, and his family deserve our sympathies.

In the end it’s the one thing that levels us all.

butcher

News has said he is not seriously ill, let alone near death.

I remember when Diana died. The extent of her reported injuries were a broken arm pretty much up until the point they announced her death.

This. If the reports are correct, at this stage of life whatever your politics or opinions, he’s just a human and deserves a peaceful passing, and his family deserve our sympathies.

Indeed.

MoreCashThanDash

If the reports are correct, at this stage of life whatever your politics or opinions, he’s just a human and deserves a peaceful passing, and his family deserve our sympathies.

In the end it’s the one thing that levels us all.

Very much this.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Prince Philip admitted to hospital.’ is closed to new replies.