Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Formula cura 4 vs magura mt5/mt7/trail sports
  • crembz
    Free Member

Dominions are outside of my budget for 3 bikes unfortunately. I hear they are very nice brakes also

willej

I’m a long term lover of Maguras, having had a set of Louise FRs for a long time, then after various Shimano sets and a recent very brief flirtation with some Hopes, I’ve recently gone back to Magura and I’m utterly satisfied with my MT7 Pros and 203/180mm Storm rotors. I’ve never had any trouble with the hoses or bleeding Maguras either, and they almost never need doing, in my experience. I also love the lever shape and really direct feel, but that’s totally subjective.

I understand peoples’ dislike for the “plastic” elements but as an engineer that designs and utilises reinforced plastic parts extensively in my day job I have no qualms. I’ve never tried Curas so couldn’t comment on them but I thoroughly recommend Maguras.

SirHC

I have Cura 4’s they are lovely when i can get the biggers to work (friends don’t seem to have this sisue so it;s clearly me).. However i did want some Hayes Dom A4’s – they are very nice -very powerful – possible too much.

What are they doing?

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/formula-cura-4-disc-brake?color=Black.
    This was the cheapest place I could find the Cura 4s…..do 2 separate orders so you don’t get hammered with import taxes.

honourablegeorge

They’re 35 euro less at the Bike24 link I posted above

rockhopper70

Wasn’t the consensus of the various reviews that the two-pot version was more than adequate for trail, even also riding. Just two big 24mm pistons rather than four littler ones.?

sharkattack

Paul Aston on his YouTube channel is running the Cura 2 on his DH bikes and swears by them. He suffered from the lazy piston syndrome on the 4 pots.

He is a professional contrarian though so I take his opinions with a pinch of salt.

crembz
    Free Member

Yes I keep reading the same regarding the power of the cura 2. I believe the more attractive difference to me for the cura 4 is the increased modulation over the 2.

honourablegeorge

Same, prefer the feel of the 4s, 2s are much more on/off

onehundredthidiot

I really like maguras I run mt7 4pots on two bike one with mt8 two pots on the rear.
    Always feel good a bleed has a couple of wee truckers but I can now bleed a pair in under 10mins and they end up solid.

I had formulas on an older bike and they weren’t great but then they probably were doing a job they weren’t fit for. Sierra Nevada basically killed them

honourablegeorge

sharkattack

He is a professional contrarian though so I take his opinions with a pinch of salt.

He’s sung the praises of Newmen rims, and he’s been absolutely right IME. I’m with him on the Geometron too, and Ive only run the Cura 2s on my trail bike so they haven’t had to deal with trips abroad and uplifts, they definitely don’t lack power versus the 4s. He does love odd stuff, though.

SirHC

You mean he’s not paid by the bike companies so gives an honest review.

honourablegeorge

I’d say there are more bike companies keen to sue him than pay him 😉

SirHC

I’d say there are more bike companies keen to sue him than pay him 😉

The truth burns!!!!!

sharkattack

I’m with him on the Geometron too

I was also an early adopter of a Geometron. The first one I saw was in Morzine and belonged to Paul Aston himself.

You mean he’s not paid by the bike companies so gives an honest review.

I appreciate that element. Much more than all these selfie stick, gopro trail centre warriors gushing about their new free bike.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.