Fork lowers lubrication, how critical is the choice of oil?

Home Forum Bike Forum Fork lowers lubrication, how critical is the choice of oil?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fork lowers lubrication, how critical is the choice of oil?
  • tonyd

Personally I wouldn’t worry about brand but not sure I’d use anything other than 7wt if that’s what’s recommended. 15wt is quite a jump and may be too heavy, at a guess it could affect the feel of the fork quite drastically.

I’m certainly no expert though.

perthmtb

I used to be in the “why bother with the fork manufacturers expensive branded stuff, when you can get it from the local motorcycle shop at a third the price” camp.

However, when I filled my Fox lowers with quality branded motorcycle fork oil of the same weight rather than the Fox green, I got a bad case of weepy seals. Switched back to the proper Fox stuff at the next service and will continue using it from now on, despite the price penalty!

winch

I want to reduce the travel on my new X Fusion Slants, which means popping the lowers off. To rebuild, Torco 7 wt is the recommended oil. How critical is it that I use this and not substitute it for something else?

I have some Rock Oil 15wt and some Rockshox red rum already, perhaps I could just use one of these or a mix of the two?

I’m only concerned with the lowers, not the damping circuit.

You’ve just dropped a good few hundred quid on some new forks (which are apparently the wrong length 😉 ) and you are considering sticking out of spec oil in them already?

I’m being lighthearted here, but nonetheless, this sort of thinking does have me baffled.

no_eyed_deer

Fox forks used to spec 7wt oil in the lowers, a spec which was ‘adjusted’ for UK conditions according to Mojo recommendations.

Mojo recommend using 10wt oil in Fox fork lowers, so I can’t see why such a change wouldn’t also be a good thing in X-Fusion forks.

I wouldn’t consider mixing oils to do it though. That will just end in a world of bad.

winch

you are considering sticking out of spec oil in them already?

I can’t find Torco 7 locally and I don’t want to wait for it if I don’t need to. Normally I too am a bit of a stickler for such things!

Fairy muff winch ^^^

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Not familiar with the X-Fusion. Is this oil actually doing and damping or is it sloshing about the bushings tyre oil? If it’s the later, I use motorcycle engine oil. Has better cling properties.

If it’s for damping, get the real stuff or have a look on the wiki PVD site to find alternatives with the same centi-stroke rating (wt means nothing at all).

Scamper

Asked the same question to those who should know as I have loads of 15wt sloshing around, and was still pointed in the direction of 7wt.

winch

Thanks all. I think I’ll just use them at 160mm until I can lay my hands on some Torco 7 (or Rockshox 5wt).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fork lowers lubrication, how critical is the choice of oil?’ is closed to new replies.