Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Foreign suit
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Got some meetings in S.E. Asia or course every suit you buy here is wool based or linen. Wool is far too hot for out there and linen usually looks crap after 10 minuted. Anyone got useful advice?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

Unlined summer suit, but no suit is going to keep you cool. I would say that a dark suit will be better than the white suit of señor DD ^^^^ as sweat doesn’t show up so much on a dark suit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Senor DD.

He no sweat. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

He no do nothing to make him sweat…

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I read that as ‘Foreign slut’ sorry. I expect you will find one going to that part of the world. Good luck.

Castrol
    Free Member

CharlieMungus,

I live and work in Bangkok at the moment and do a few “suit” meetings. I have a decent quality dark linen suit that actually looks ok. I think the pure linen ones do, as you say, look a little crap after a bit but mine seems to stay looking smart. Locally you dont bother with ties and so top button undone all the time so stay cooler that way, also you tend to be out of aircon apartment, into aircon car / taxi, then finally into aircon meeting so you never get that warm anyway. Meetings on the shop floor, thats another matter entirely!

I often don’t wear a jacket either, just good quality trousers and smart shirts, again this is accepted and have met some very senior officials that way with no adverse comments as they tend to dress the same.

Hope that helps. If you are around Bangkok way feel free to drop me an e-mail if you like.

Regards,
    Matt.

globalti
    Free Member

Does anybody wear a suit in hot countries nowadays? Throughout the African continent and, I understand, SE Asia the business dress code is long-sleeved shirt and open neck or a tie if you’re Indian. If you want to wear a suit just a UK summer weight will be fine because you’ll be in AC all day anyway.

I spend two months a year in Africa and haven’t worn a tie there for over five years.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above really, I wear a lightweight wool suit when in Asia and so far it’s been fine. There’s the aircon-to-aircon movement to remember as well, and in some cases I’ve almost been too cold in an office!

Also, don’t be fooled by buying a suit in HK or Singapore. The prices (for a good one at least!) are almost exactly the same as Jermyn Street!

ben
    Free Member

Echo the Captain’s comments. Here in Singapore everyone wears smart trousers & shirt with no tie. However, they do have the AC on to the max, so I keep a jacket at work. I wouldn’t worry about buying something specific in linen unless you’ll be often outside of AC areas.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[Hijack]

Ben, you around in Mid-November? Looks like another Singapore visit en route back from Australia…..!
    [/Hijack]

TooTall
    Free Member

There are lightweight wool suits – a bit like there are merino tops that work in summer! Like merino tops, there isn’t much that is better for the job. Being the end of summer there should be a few around at cheap prices (I take it you are not a bespoke sort of chap).

aP
    Free Member

Of course, if you were heading go the Southern States then seersucker would be a legitimate option – just remembering to ask your laundry service to use less starch in your shirt collars.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The long sleeveness is very usful advice, i hadn’t thought of that. It make sense and is much smarter.

I’m not a bespoke fella, lightweight wool suits? Surely not a merino suit that mst cost an arm and a leg!!

So, the cognisenti say, smart, light weight suit style trousers and long sleeve shirt.

Thanks all

paulosoxo
    Free Member

A nice shirt from Thomas Pink, sack the tie and jacket. Roll up your sleeves 15 minutes into being in the office. Boosh.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, except i’ll need about 10 shirts, so maybe fewer Pinks

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Foreign suit’ is closed to new replies.