Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ford Smax tyre pressure monitoring
  • Harry_the_Spider

My TPMS malfunctions when the air temperature drops. The tyre pressures are OK, but the message doesn’t clear. The only way that I have found to deal with it so far is to disconnect the battery.

There has to be an easier way of doing this, but I don’t know what it is.

Thoughts?

weeksy

they’re not expensive from Ford.

the-muffin-man

Can’t remember the exact sequence (just one of those things I just do now!), but our 2017 Kuga does this. You can reset using the menu buttons on the steering wheel. You have to tell the car the current tyre pressure is the OK pressure.

Here you go!…

….ours just has a reeeeeeeally slow puncture though so I have to check pressure and reset every couple of months. Maybe yours has?

timba
    Free Member

Ignore it, it’ll be cheaper. Check your tyres weekly as we go into the colder weather, along with the oil, fluids, etc

Harry_the_Spider

Pressure are fine. Checked both manually and by the TPMS system. The issue is that the error doesn’t clear when I press the OK button. The car “bongs” and the dashboard looks like Blackpool Prom.

If there is an actual low pressure issue this clears once the tyre is inflated to the correct pressure.

This error only occurs when the air temperature drops, like it did last night, and it will continue to piss me off until April.

weeksy

As i said mate, they’re £11 a pair from Ford and say £15 to swap. A decent tyre place can do a ‘check’ on them too

Harry_the_Spider

But is the fault with the car not clearing the error?

duncancallum

Depending on if the tpms is a pressure sensor or a wheel speed active sensor you could try full left to full right lock back to centres.

If the steering angle sensor thinks the wheels off centre and the wheel speeds are different it can bring the light on

Harry_the_Spider

It’s a temperature thing. Only happens when the temp drops suddenly over night. Last night was the first chilly one.

olly2097
    Free Member

Our 62 plate does it. Apparently sensors need replacing. I’ve just learn to live with it. They still work but they just state malfunction every so often

timba
    Free Member

We had an Astra on fleet that did this, always the same corner. New sensors, fiddle around in the car’s “brain”, etc. It still did it

Harry_the_Spider

Idiot update. Had it in my head that the tyre pressure was 30 psi. It is actually 34 psi. Which would explain the warning lights!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.