• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by grum.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Folding bread knife?
  • grum
    Free Member

When I’m out and about and I want to slice my artisanal organic sourdough boules to spread with cultured raw butter, what do I use as a breadknife?

I had a bit of a Google and didn’t really find anything, which seems surprising. I imagined something like my Bahco Laplander but with a thinner blade would exist but if it does I’m not finding it.

Any recommends?

simondbarnes

I just use an Opinel

Pyro

We do a kayaking trip to the Alps every year, and had just this question – what do I slice my baguette with, cut and spread my brie with, slice my saucisson with, if not my generic manky river knife?

I settled on one of the ‘junior’ Opinel knives. Just as sharp as the grown-up version but not as stabby. It’s ace for summer sandwiching purposes.

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-opinel-children-s-pocket-knife-no-07rv-jr-blade-length-7-5-cm.htm

funkmasterp

Opened thread to say Opinel too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just use an axe, like a real man.

grum
    Free Member

A normal non serrated Opinel? Interesting.

grum
    Free Member

This has a serrated no 12 in it which looks good but I can’t see that you can buy it separately.

https://www.opinel.com/en/kitchen/nomad-cooking-kit/nomad-cooking-kit

Axe? I use a .45 Magnum at the moment.

maccruiskeen

“What are you building lads?”

“Sandwiches”

kayak23

A folding Japanese saw from Workshop Heaven. I’ve got this one.

Measure twice, slice once.

franksinatra

I have a Lamson Bâtard Folding Picnic knife. It is a wonderful thing. A quick google suggests it will be very hard to get hold of in the uk now.

Picknicing is infinitely more satisfying when accompanied by shouts of Pass the Bâtard!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I use The Masamune Katana The preferred weapon of Immortal Connor MacLeod, the ivory-handled Masamune katana is a weapon like no other. It was forged in 593 B.C. by the legendary master swordsmith Masamune for Immortal Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez, as a dowry for his marriage to Princess Shakiko.

db

I rip the rolls apart as you’re meant to!

Camping and living in tents and vans for periods of time I have not yet found the need for a folding bread knife!

Cougar

I genuinely saw the thread title and thought WTF is “folding bread”?

CountZero

Personally, I’d just carry an Opinel and a Gerber Flatiron…

It’s not a small knife, it’s perfectly capable of slicing through a decent sized baguette or baton, and the blade is ideally shaped for spreading butter and slicing any variety of tasty fillings…

Not that expensive, about £45-50 or so, and very solidly built, with a tough Micarta scale on one side of the handle, which is very grippy; standard is an olive green, mine’s a sort of blue-grey, a limited run Drop offer.

grum
    Free Member

I use The Masamune Katana The preferred weapon of Immortal Connor MacLeod, the ivory-handled Masamune katana is a weapon like no other. It was forged in 593 B.C. by the legendary master swordsmith Masamune for Immortal Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez, as a dowry for his marriage to Princess Shakiko.

Can you get them on AliExpress?

The folding saw looks cool but still a bit spendy. The Lamson thing would have been perfect.

matt_outandabout

One of our Mora Companion knives was deployed today for this exact job.
    There was a set of baps to slice, pork pie to divide into thirds and an apple to quarter & core.
    All while sat on a beach on Loch Rannoch.

grum
    Free Member

Sounds like heaven.

I managed with a Gerber suspension but it wasn’t great. I make lots of bread and often have really big open crumb loaves which are not too easy to slice without hacking them apart.

Maybe I should just take a proper breadknife.

cookeaa

Wire saw?

wishiwascalledsteve

Not as handcrafted as previous suggestions. I’ve mostly used my Petzl Spatha climbing knife for sandwich making and other food prep.

Half serrated and half non-serrated blade for all occasions

kayak23

I genuinely saw the thread title and thought WTF is “folding bread”?

willard

Mora do a serrated blade knife which will be both cheap and awesome. Failing that, just use an Opinel or, as has been said, just break it with your hands like a civilised person.

mmannerr

MSR has cheap kitchen knives for outdoor chefs https://www.msrgear.com/ie/cookware/camp-kitchen-and-utensils/alpine-kitchen-knife/07091.html plus a bigger model but they are non-foldable.
    Why the requirement for folding?

tthew

pork pie to divide into thirds and an apple to quarter & core.

This suggests you were out with some weirdo who is a Pork Pie refusenik. They should be purged from your life.

What artisnal condiment spoon did you use for distribution of the wholegrain mustard?

willard

Self carved I hope…

Spppooooons

benp1

how big is your boule?

pretty much any sharp knife will do this, as long as it’s either long enough to cut it in one go or at least 50% of the length of the bread so you can go around it

you don’t need serrations if it’s sharp

i’ve used everything from a large fixed blade knife to the knife I keep on my keyring, they all work.

I think the question is how artisanal do you want the knife to be?

grum
    Free Member

MSR alpine knife looks handy and cheap. Doesn’t have to be folding I guess but a full length bread knife would be too big.

Boule is around 30cm diameter usually.

Call me a weirdo but there’s something that feels wrong about using a non serrated blade to cut bread, even if it works fine.

What I really want is that opinel no 12 serrated out of the nomad kitchen set but not really the rest of it. Surprised I can’t find it separately

It’s obviously not essential but I put a lot of time/care into making bread and preparing food and I’d rather not just hack it apart. Also, this is STW so I shouldn’t need to justify unnesccesary purchases, especially of knives. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Think I’ll just get one of these from a Mora recommendation up there, thanks peeps.

https://www.cyclaireshop.co.uk/outdoor-knives/rescue-emergency-security/mora-clipper-rescue-blunt-tip

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Folding bread knife?’ is closed to new replies.