• This topic has 25 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Focus Jam 2 6.8 plus, 2020, opinions ?
  • iainc

This one

Seriously considering chopping in my Anthem and Bird Zero and getting one of these, as have a few heart issues.

I know not a lot about ebikes but lbs do a lot of them and ride Focus Jam2’s themselves. I prefer shimano to SRAM and the spec and geo on this is spot on for me.

Seems that for 2020 they have gone a little longer and lower, put on a 625 Bosch and xt/six 12 speed.

Any views, experiences ?

bigwill
    Free Member

Current geo on their website looks a bit weird 470 chainstays and 440 reach in their largest size which is a large, and only just over 400 in a small. maybe the long chainstays are an ebike thing.

iainc

On the link up there, the large has a 470 reach and 427 chainstays. There’s also an XL

ta11pau1

You’re looking at old Geo, 427mm chainstays and 470mm reach on large, 495mm on XL which is right on the money.

The only thing I’d say is that the fox 34 might feel a bit flexy on a 20+kg ebike, I’d want a 36/yari or lyric.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

The original Jam2 is a nice XC/trail bike, I really like mine not sure how the new one will ride with the bigger battery.

Heart wise yes you can lower your heart rate but be aware if you climb a very steep hill or ride hard you can still get to your max heart rate, I would ensure you wear a monitor and stay within you safe zone. Overall they don’t stress the body as much as an mtb.

bri-72

Chain stays, marketing blurb is usually long CS helps stability and climbing, and keeping front end down with all the torque. I can see the logic in that.

AFAIK the shimano motor location means longer CS are unavoidable.

427 seems an error to me that would be classed short for a normal bike how have they reduced CS length so much in one year?

Btw I’ve got a 2018 Jam2 LTD plus in large. Highly recommend. Yeah would prefer slightly longer reach but hey ho. For the money and spec great bike.
    Extra battery capacity a bonus also.

bri-72

I went straight to a pike upgrade on mine, came with a recon. Not so sure flex is the issue it’s just such a capable bike a cheap fork lets it down.

iainc

Great, think I’ll ask LBS to get one in for a try before buy. Will have a think about swopping fork out either from new or after trying with the Fox. I have that same fork on my Anthem and get on ok with it, albeit on a much lighter bike.

bigwill
    Free Member

@iainc Thanks for the pointer I looked at it the other week and was a bit put off, those numbers are a bit more promising. Might be back on the possible list.

Mark

I rode this bike just over a week ago.

2020 Focus Jam² | Shimano or Bosch? You Decide

hainman
    Free Member

I’ve rode the Jam2 and Sam2 on a demo up the Kilpatrick hills and I would say it needs a bigger fork
    1st bike I rode had Revelations on it and it was ok but the second bike I tried had 36’s and was way more plush
    Very nice bikes but very expensive
    One of my mates got a Spesh Kenevo with Lyrics and Ohlins coil shock for under 5k

iainc

Thanks hainman, Dave at Sprockets is ordering one in for me to try and he rides a blingier version himself. The 2020 ones are quite different, longer and lower, Bosch motor and xt 1×12, with a Fox Rhythm 34, so will try it and see how fork goes. Spesh is an option and Dales do them, but not a fan of SRAM really..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Awesome bikes

iainc

Nobeer, agree, and chatting to Dave I really can’t see a downside, esp as I have a few health issues. The only issue will be that I can’t put it on the roof when heading off with family, but will hang onto the Bird for those rides I guess !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There must be a roof option by now?

iainc

Nope, it would fit ok on my racks, but they are rated to 20kg max, which doesn’t really work with ebikes. Would probably put my back out again too !

hainman
    Free Member

I would for a better stiffer fork the 34’s might be Harsh with the weight of the bike
    The revs were 35mm and still not the best

geex
    Free Member

The battery can be removed which would put it right around 20kg for your roof carrier.
    it’s not particularly difficult for anyone relatively fit with averag strength and savy to raise a 20kg bike above your head. Long Ebikes are pretty horrendous to raise the front end on (manualling/hopping rather than pedal wheelying) and it kills their playfulness.
    447mm stays are bang on. not too long and not too short. nimble but stable.
    the new bosch motors are getting favourable reviews
    I wouldn’t worry about the forks too much unless you’re a pinner or a biffer. You’re neither 😉 and I wouldn’t worry about the groupset. all mid motor emtbs seem to come with at least mid level Shimano or SRAM drivetrains and there’s really no need to fit anything above that level.
    I wouldn’t even want 12 speed on mine. there’s no need for as wide a ratio cassette as 12 speed has unless you ride your Emtb switched off A LOT and it’s not worth the extra running costs of 12 speed when 11 speed slx cassettes are £40. stick it on your Bird 😉

iainc

Good point on battery removal, that would solve a potential problem for family holidays.

iainc

Well, I had a play on a couple of the 2019 ones today, and shop are ordering me in a 2020. Went for 29er version rather than plus. The 29er has 2.6 tyres anyway. Basically this one, though swopping out the OEM tyres and seatpost (to a shorter 125mm Fox)

This one

argee

Just bought the 2019 model, i was thinking of the new one with bosch motor, but the 2019s are at great prices now, and the shimano motor does a decent job, not a lot i don’t like about them, well the rekon tyres are rubbish so ask the shop to swap them out ASAP.

iainc

^^^^^ well played ! Keen to hear how you get on with it. I was tempted with the 2019 but the geometry isn’t as good for me as the 2020 so will have to wait until end August or so for it to land.

biglee1

Looks great, I’m considering one of those myself so looking forward to hearing what you think 👍😁

iainc

Couple of hours on the trails above Carrbridge today on a demo 2019 Jam2 6.8 Plus from the lovely folk at Ride Cairngorm in Boat of Garten.

Wow, what a fun bike ! I am honestly blown away by it. Still sticking with the 2020 for slightly longer front end and have decided to go Plus rather than 29 after today’s ride. The Plus tyres are a bit better on tight stuff and the traction is silly good 😜

highpeakrider
    Free Member

On the plus if you live in a muddy area you might want a set of 30mm rims to run something like a 2.5 DFH in the winter.
    I run 2.5 winter , 2.8 summer.
    The 2.8s will just float over the mud.

iainc

^^^ yeah, I will likely get some 29 wheels and tyres at some stage, frame has a flip switch to allow both to be run without messing geometry.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Focus Jam 2 6.8 plus, 2020, opinions ?’ is closed to new replies.