Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • FlyUp 417 – Worth a trip?
  • ready

Looking for somewhere to go with an uplift (that’s not BPW) with Mrs Ready, is it worth a look?  I kinda get the impression it’s a bit more “gentler”?  Or can it be full gnar if required?

simon_g

Fairly short but a good mix of stuff from rolling blues to rocky blacks and you can get a lot of uplifts in. Ideal if you want to practice particular techniques or fiddle with bike setup. The indoor pump track is good fun too, particularly if it’s raining.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The original blue and new blue can be as tame as you like and get more fun the faster you go.

I really like the original red and it’s alternative lines, it’s pretty straightforward with a few rocky bits (more of a badly laid patio) little drops, etc.

The new red is fun, fast and flowy but I have nothing like the talent/bottle for the jumps at the bottom.  Not a problem, I just slam the anchors on and take the table top rather than killing myself on the doubles

In short, it is fun and it is the nearest uplift to me as I live in the South East.  I’d prefer FoD, BPW or to give Black Mountains a go any day but they are further away.  Never tried the indoor pump track but that really does look good if it’s your thing

Rubber_Buccaneer

rocky blacks

I only ventured down the black (there is only one AFAIK) once and it was a mudfest, maybe I should take another look….in the summer

ready

Nice one, thanks for the replies.  Think I’ll book us a nice weekend away, & I think there’s a Premier Inn fairly close by.

Who said romance is dead??

monkeyboyjc

Premier Inn is just around the corner, 5min ride or 2min drive.

joebristol

Worth a look it’s quite fun. As said a lot of it is fairly easy but if you turn the speed up it’s properly fun. The black is ok, nothing too scary on it. The new red has massive jumps – but there’s a tabletop option next to each double so you can roll the lot if you don’t want to send it.

Might be muddy in winter but I’ve only been there when it’s dry so can’t properly comment.

markshires
    Free Member

We stopped off a month or so ago, on the way down to BPW, it was good and the uplift was spot on, you can get loads of runs in. The trails that they have are great, and can be made as hard as you want, the black was really slippy when we were there, (there’s a couple of lines off it) but i cant remember anything that was a great step up from the red, other than the surface. I think it will benefit a lot from a couple more trails just to keep you entertained as I did get a little bit ‘oh that one again’ in the afternoon.

Anyway here’s my vid from the day

ready

Nice video Markshires, thanks for posting.  Looks like we’ll be making a visit soon!

ajaj
    Free Member

I don’t particularly like 417. For a start the uplift is slow and doesn’t take you to the top.

The blue I find irritating. Slow it’s boring but speed up and everything’s the wrong size and you end up smashing into upslopes and hurting yourself. Maybe works if you’re a riding god, but I’m not, I’m the sort of rider that rides blues.

Much better to drive the extra and go to FoD.

Rubber_Buccaneer

the uplift is slow and doesn’t take you to the top.

I find the uplift fine, efficient and the drivers have all been great. Plus the new blue and red runs start right at the drop off point

markshires
    Free Member

I couldn’t fault the uplift, one of the best ones I’ve used.

joebristol

Can’t say I found the uplift slow personally last time I used it. Bit annoying it’s not right to the very top, but you can say the same for FOD and BMCC. Plus BPW you have to ride over that top bit too.

milky1980
    Free Member

Only been there twice (once on an uplift day, once a skills session) and liked the place.  Has a different vibe to BPW as it’s smaller and more compact.  It is a bit rough round the edges but as it’s a purely private venture you can’t expect the polished finish of BPW and Antur for example.  The indoor pump track is great, easily hit that hard enough to bring your lunch back up too easily!  The trails are good and the staff are the best I’ve experienced at an uplift centre, none of the surly drivers you can get at BPW!  I wouldn’t go there every few weeks like I have done at BPW and FOD but as a different venue once or twice a year it’s great.

Don’t forget if BPW hadn’t opened and raised the bar so highly we’d be flocking to places like 417, Cwmcarn and FOD instead.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘FlyUp 417 – Worth a trip?’ is closed to new replies.