Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Flue liner for chimney.
  • Potdog
    Free Member

While I wait impatiently for a number of contractors to respond to my request for an estimate, does anyone have a rough estimate for fitting a flue liner for a gas stove to a pretty standard 2 storey brick terrace house?

Just trying to get an idea before going back to the house seller to get some more money off (if it’s relatively expensive).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I paid £200 labour (Yorks, I phoned round local chimney sweeps) plus parts supplied by me from FlexiFlueDirect and local builders Merch for cement, slab, chimney pot and a cowl. That was wood burner flue but it’s the same principles maybe less a chimney pot. so I’d estimate for just purely putting the liner in
    £200 labour.
    £150 10m of flue liner.
    £100 clamp/plate, liner terminal, cement, slab, other sundries.
    plus VAT if applicable

NB didn’t include doing anything at the bottom end

Potdog
    Free Member

Cheers, probably less than I expected then.

Maybe not worth the hassle of haggling a few hundred quid off.

oldtennisshoes

Balanced flue – straight out the back of the chimney. No flue liner required and a more efficient stove into the bargain. I went through this pain if you hadn’t guessed 🙂

Potdog
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Probably an easier and cheaper option and since it’s an outside wall very possible.

oldtennisshoes

Iirc the balanced flue stoves/fires are marginally more expensive (5% maybe) but also more efficient by about the same amount, so should balance out cost wise over the life of it.

oreetmon
    Free Member

£450 pretty steep for a job you can DIY if you got acccess (and bollox) to get on your own roof.

Easy job, google it, I did mine for £180 ish with borrowed scaffold

oreetmon
    Free Member

Ask advise at local logburnerist, clips copex etc then diy

Potdog
    Free Member

Have emailed the gas engineer who did the inspection to ask if the gas fire / stove would be compatible with a balanced flue system. Although on the report it did say a flue liner was required, didn’t mention any other options, so maybe the fire / stove is too old or not compatible.

I was lead to believe that the liners had to be installed and certified, hence looking for someone to do it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

£450 pretty steep for a job you can DIY if you got acccess (and bollox) to get on your own roof.

Easy job, google it, I did mine for £180 ish with borrowed scaffold

But it’s not £450 is it?, Because the bulk is materials that are required whatever. So your question is whether the OP is prepared to go on their roof and attempt an install that they presumably have no previous experience how or what makes it good and proper for saving £200.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Flue liner for chimney.’ is closed to new replies.