Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Flooring – slate to carpet transition.
  • dantsw13

Im putting down some slate flooring, connecting the kitchen to the back door. the slate will butt up against carpet mid room. What is the best threshold to use between the two?

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Schluter Reno TK

dantsw13

Thanks – looks just the ticket

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is the carpet new and is it the same height at the slate?
    I’d personally be trying hard not to stick a piece of metal strip across the middle of the room.
    We’ve just butted a new sisal carpet up to the new kitchen tiles and it looks great…. But they are the same level and the edge of the tiles is perfectly straight.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I agree with the slick finish of a well butted tile to carpet install but this works best with quality modern porcelain/ rectified tile and low pile carpet in a house that sees no foot traffic. But looks rubbish (dated) imo between more ‘classic’ tile material and higher pile carpet.
    Trouble is having nothing as an edge means you’ve no protection from tile edge damage or lifts/pulls/frays. And going from no protection to having to screw on an afterthought transition would be frustrating as heck once your butted install ages.
    There’s probably 20 finish colours of schluter and you can disguise it or make a feature of it. I’d personally take the protection aspect everytime.
    my 2p

BlindMelon
    Free Member
    dantsw13

Carpet is new, but not quite the same height as the slate. With 2 dogs, an exposed join would be too much of a temptation!! The Schluter looks just the ticket.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Flooring – slate to carpet transition.’ is closed to new replies.