Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Floating rotors
  • longmover
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting some Hope floating rotors to use with my X2s.

Does anyone use them? are they worth the extra cash?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I like them, they make a ticking noise as they cool down. 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Depends on what you see as “worth”. They’re not really lighter or faster. I’ve got them on 4 different bikes in the house. They look nice and they do the job.

Plus the ping on cool down is fun.

Daffy

This ^

longmover
    Free Member

I’m sold on the ping sound.

coatesy
    Free Member

Worth checking how much clearance your hubs allow to the fork leg first, i’ve recently had to replace a front hub which cause the spider to hit the post mount of the fork.

muddyground
    Free Member

Did have them on two bikes for a few years but have now got shot. They gradually get loser and loser at the rivets until they rattle, which is just annoying.

simon1975

^^ Yes, the rivets rattled annoyingly on 3 of the Hope 160mm floaters that I’ve had. Plus, they can be a little fragile if you happen to smash them into a rock (a normal rotor can often be straightened / trued, the rivets just break on floating rotors).

ndthornton
    Free Member

Definitely better – Id never go back to standards.
    Best thing is they dont ever warp.
    I also find they dont overheat as much
    And of course bliiiiiiiiiiiiing

Blurboy
    Free Member

One of mine got so loose that it rattled all the time but this was just one out of six or so that I have had over many years. Sent it back to Hope explaining it was a least 3 years old and obviously out of warranty but could they repair it or should I bin it and they just sent me a new replacement, next day delivery. What I am saying is the rotors are great but also the back up from Hope just brilliant. Agree that you need to watch out for the Alu spider catching the fork stanchions, they seem thicker than a standard rotor. They also come in funky colours ( to match the Hope hubs, brake bits etc – real bling)

njee20
    Free Member

Not worth it, no.

I broke both of mine in a particularly wet race, pads wore down, used the rivets to slow down, braking surface detached from spider as the rivets wore out. Normal rotor would have been fine, weighed the same, rubbed less and cost half the amount. 😕

Rorschach
    Free Member

They don’t float.I complained to hope about it but they seemed uninterested.Appalling customer service.Avoid.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

pads wore down, used the rivets to slow down, braking surface detached from spider as the rivets wore out

So the tabs or the backing material of the pads cut the rotors to pieces. Is that their problem?

FWIW, I don’t think they’re worth the extra money. I’ve got one as a front rotor though, and it stays true and goes ‘ping’..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Floating rotors’ is closed to new replies.