Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • flat spotted my rear wheel – so what to replace it with?
  • julians
    Free Member

Ive managed to whack my rear wheel and put a sizeable flat spot in thats stopping it from sealing when tubeless. I’ve read that flatspots cant really be fixed (but if I’m wrong, then let me know how to repair),so I’m looking for a new rear wheel.

Current (flat spotted) wheel is an ethirteen trs+ wheel that came with the bike (YT capra cf pro), I dont want to spend a fortune, so what relatively budget wheel should I replace with? I’ve seen dt swiss m1900 spline 30 wheels that look decent value for money.

number one requirement is that it needs to be tough, and around 30mm internal width.

joebristol

Is the existing hub ok? If so just get a DT Swiss EX511 rim built into it – might save some cash.

If you want a whole DT Swiss factory wheel that’s really strong then get one starting with ‘ e’rather then ‘m’. E is the Enduro range where
    M is all mountain which isn’t as strong.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I flat spotted my rear wheel quite badly when I cased a big step up. Local wheel builder improved it but it’s not perfect. I still use it but with a tube and it’s not really noticeable. Will eventually replace it when the time comes.

JP

lesgrandepotato

Can you not tease it back to shape with an adjustable spanner to lever the rim back to true?

julians
    Free Member

Can you not tease it back to shape with an adjustable spanner to lever the rim back to true?

its not just the rim edge thats bent, the actual rim itself is no longer uniformly round, i have straightened the bead out now, but the rim is still out of shape, it still has a flat spot.

hatter

For a Capra I’d go for something fairly sturdy, so I’d also say go for the E 1900’s over the M 1900’s.

julians
    Free Member

Thanks, those e1900 look decent vfm.

I’ll have one more go at getting my current rim to seal, if that fails, then get one of those ordered.

danti

Try applying some tyre mounting paste to help with sealing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘flat spotted my rear wheel – so what to replace it with?’ is closed to new replies.