Flat roof replacement (garage) – fibreglass versus rubber

• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  tomd.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flat roof replacement (garage) – fibreglass versus rubber
  • strike

Felt garage roof is coming to end of life as it’s starting to increasingly lift and leak in patches so time to consider replacement. It around 20metre-squared and due to the design must remain a flat-roof. As I understand it the 2 options are fibreglass or rubber but I don’t know any more than that…..

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

We replaced our asbestos garage roof with rubber about 5-6 years ago. Has withstood everything nature has thrown at it so far.

Firestone rubber on roof gives 25 year guarantee. Just need a decent roofer to fit i.e guarantee is for the materials amd not the roofers work.

sharkbait

[no help]
    We have a [garage sized] beach hut in a row of 5 that all had fibreglass (over ply) roofs. After about 25 years they were seriously deteriorating and at least one hut had the fibreglass skin peel off in a storm.
    We all had them replaced about 5 years ago with rubber and they’ve been great so far.

Would I use rubber again? Yes definitely.
    [/no help]

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

I asked this a few months ago, and the consensus seemed to be both are good, rubber perhaps slightly more dependent on a good fitter but the main difference is fragility- if people walk on the roof go for fibreglass, if not go for what your preferred/recommended installer normally uses

IMO the boarding under the roof is far more important than the roofing material. If the boards are rubbish/move then any roof material will leak sooner or later

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

EDPM is pretty easy to DIY.

fibreglass less so.

jonno101

EDPM is pretty easy to DIY.
    fibreglass less so.

I would say the opposite to above. GRP can make a load of popping noises. One builder said to avoid this screw down ply sheets with 100mm centres (not 300-400).

or OSB!

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

Our inherited flat roof extension has a GRP roof. I think it’s about 20years old and sound but one of the main pluses for me is that is easy to DIY repair. I’ve done a couple of patches and covered a hole where I removed a redundant flue. It was easy to do with a automotive repair kit + suitable pigment and the patches have held no problem. I’m pleasantly surprised, I’d always been conditioned to hate flat roofs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.