Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Flat Pedals – Whats Currently ‘In’ & Longevity Of Placcy Pedals?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Morning everyone. I’m well out of touch with whats going on in the bike world at the minute but I’ve got myself into a situation where I need some new flat pedals. Last ones I bought were some Nukeproof Electron (?) about 8 years ago which had lasted me incredibly well but looking around now for what they cost me, most low profile, big platform flats are nylon type construction. Are these decent? I’m guessing that they’re not going to have anywhere near as long a lifetime as a metal bodied pedal? In which case, what is the current go-to metal bodied pedal? DMR Vaults have caught by eye but don’t seem particularly cheap (£70 quid for some pedals?).

Cheers, DBW

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Personally I’ve got a set of the Nukeproof placcy ones (metal pins).  thus far they have proved more robust than metal bodied ones I’ve also tried.

A set of DMR’s I smashed on a rock strike, some other pair the bearings went in.

For the cost of them I can’t see any point in looking beyond the Nukeproofs they grip, they’re light(ish) and they’ve lasted well so far.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a set of plastic DMRs on my fat bike – put them on to go to Lapland last Feb so there wasn’t quite as much of a heat sink. They seem to be holding up OK but then I’m not doing a huge amount on the fat bike when compared to my other bikes. The only problem I’ve had with them was last weekend going up and down through the freezing level when they iced up around the pins but that was the conditions not the pedals as it happened to everyone on the ride.

I’ve a set of Hope F20s on my HT which get much more use, definitely not cheap though.

NormalMan

When I was looking to replace some Electrons (which I loved) last year I tried the Evo version. But really didn’t like the shape, they dug into my foot etc.

Then I tried some of Horizon comp but had 2 pairs fail on me so ended up with Hope f20 pedals (bought at WAY under the rrp) and have really got on with them.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nukeproof Horizons. I have some metal ones on one bike & they were great so I cheaped out and put the plastic ones on another bike.

They are probably better than the metal version, which IMO are the best flat pedals out there anyway. They tend to glide over rock impacts a bit better.

Also, being black and plastic, they actually stay black.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Placcy Nukeproof Horizons ordered 🙂

canopy
    Free Member

bit late, but the race face chesters i’ve got seem decent. also metal pins.

IIRC the nukeproofs come with a few spare pins though? and the race face ones didnt, so i had to buy a pack

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

to be honest, the amount I ride these days I guess pedals that an ordinary rider would wear out in a matter of months will last me years 🙂

ton

these are far better than ANY flat pedal I have used in 30 years of mtbing.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/nXUAAOSw~0paSE9k/$_58.JPG

chakaping
    Free Member

put them on to go to Lapland last Feb so there wasn’t quite as much of a heat sink.

And would you say they were effective for this?

Northwind

The Horizons are really bloody good. It’s a wee bit easier to knock pins out of them than a sturdy alloy pedal but about the same as most thin lightweight alloy ones. Bearing life etc seems much the same as any equivalent pedal. And they don’t cost much. A+ from me.

whitestone
    Free Member

@chapaking – hard to tell really, I suppose I should have had one plastic and one metal pedal then noted if one foot was colder than the other.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ah well, it’ll probably be another four years before we get decent snow here again anyway.

whitestone
    Free Member

Sort of a Tesco like “Every little helps”, also things like wrapping brake levers in foam and tape so your fingers don’t get cold via that channel. Slight digression though.

dantsw13

I’ve got the exotic plastic pedals on both bikes. Over a year now without issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedals – Whats Currently ‘In’ & Longevity Of Placcy Pedals?’ is closed to new replies.