Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Flat Pedals. What are you running?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Previous bike had Burgtec compostie pedals. Really thin, grippy, overall liked them. Sadly bike got nicked.

New bike bought and the only decent pedals they had in at the LBS were the Shimano XT flats. I got the large platform as I have big feet. Standard short pins were pretty rubbish so I installed the long pins. Grip wise much better, I’m just not all that pleased with them. In store they were $200 AUD but they did them for $140 (The place I got the Burgtec composites were $90). I’m considering selling the XT’s and going back to what I had before. Just curious if anyone is running XT’s and what they think of them. Not had any pedal strikes as yet, but they are quite thick compared to the BT’s. I think I’ve kinda made my mind up tbh!

weeksy

Nukeproof Neutron.

sharkattack

Vault. They need occasional maintenance but it’s easy and they’re better than anything else I’ve tried.

mcnultycop

Plastic Nukeproof Electrons on all MTBs, grippy and they bounce off rocks.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tried vault. The Race Face Atlas. Now gone back to Vaults

Tempted to try Pedaling Innovations next time I need some

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

mcnultycop + 1

orangespyderman

OneUp alloys on my trail bike. Low profile, good grip, good bearings. Bit spendy. DMR Vaults on my bigbike. Beefy but not really what I’d want for the other bike.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Electron Evo’s seem well priced too. $44 on CRC… How big is the platform?

razorrazoo

Ran Vaults for the last few years, got a set of Burgtec composites with my new frame to compliment the BT bar and stem I picked up to go on the new build. First impressions are good but only used a few times. To be honest I’m equally happy with both of these pedals (Valuts have been rebuilt once, and it was easy enough with an unofficial kit I got off ebay).

chiefgrooveguru

Vaults on everything. Tried the Pedalling Innovations ones when they were launched – not concave enough, too narrow, pins too short. Some of that may have changed since then!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Love the shape & size of Vaults, hate the rubbish bushes which make them rattle. Had a set in the spares box for ages for that reason, found a rebuild kit on eBay which I’ve tried, they have already lasted longer than DMR kit 😆

Tried Burgtec Composites, which felt nice, not not massively grippy, but they developed a bit of play & suffered an untimely end when they had a coming together with a tree stump, hence why back on the Vaults.

Always liked the Horizons, even the plastic ones are great. Other half has a set of the new ones on test, but they seem to have lost a bit of concavity now, which is a shame.

Do like the look of the new Burgtec Mk5 Penthouse, might have to stump up for a set of them.

mashr

This just got me looking into something, was wonder what the thinnest of the composite pedals is:

Burgtec – 16mm
    Nukeproof Neutron – 17mm
    Nukeproof Horizon Comp – 17mm (also appear to be sadly discontinued)
    Kona Wah Wah II – 18.4mm
    OneUp – 17mm
    Raceface – 18mm

(Beginning to think this is entirely pointless as they’re all so similar!)

Any others?

trickydisco
    Free Member

I just bought the superstar nano X evo’s.

Alex

Nano Evos on the HT. Had loads of pairs of Nano’s over the years. Good shape, grippy, easy to service (now, the old ones you needed a super thin socket), replacement pins not silly money and they’ll take a bashing.

Burgtec composites. First set of non metal pedals. Only four rides so far but I like them. DIdn’t find them noticeably less grippy than Nano’s. Still with 5-10s most pedals feel pretty good.

OneUp – I like OneUp stuff normally but not too impressed with these. Good size – in fact maybe a bit big based on my inability to navigate stumps – but bearings got notch pretty quickly and pins seem a bit fragile.

Pyro

Crank Bros Stamps

alan1977
    Free Member

quite liking my gussett s2’s.. feel fairly thin, fairly concave.. fairly light.. seem to be well engineered.. only thing i had before was DMR v8s and they are a world better in every way

eddiebaby
    Free Member

OneUp alloys, SS Delta Mag Evos and SS NanoMags.

fazzini

£19 Gussetts on my HT commuter – never been serviced in 5 years and still going strong although the grip is not a big issue and getting pins out now if needed would be impossible.

DMR V12s on my full sus for 9 years and also never been ‘serviced’ (they get the odd squirt of GT85 and the odd bit of chain lube occasionally but never taken anything apart) and also still going strong. Again pins could do with replacing but I think I’ll just get another set if I feel I need to.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Vaults on my Airdrop Edit and Dartmoor Shine.
    Plastic v8’s on my commuter bike.

DezB
    Free Member

Very happy with Superstar Nano EVOs.

Uberbike are also doing pedals which look good.

tetrode
    Free Member

Nukeproof Horizons, had the same set for two years and haven’t had to do any maintenance on them whatsoever.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Plastic Nukeproof Electron Evo ones – used them for 5 or so years!

rossburton
    Free Member

All my bikes have older Superstar Nanos, but I am liking the look of the Race Face Chester composite pedals. Currently convincing my boy to buy a set in purple for his bike so I can give them a go.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Nukeproof horizon comp now. Had superstars but had to replace the bearings a couple of times and never managed to remove the bushing.

frogstomp

Nukeproof Horizons here too.. previously Electrons but the bearings didn’t last very well. Horizons are faring much better..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Burgtecs on my MTB and on my commuter.

jedi

Burgtec composite. Best pedal I have Ve used

marksnook
    Free Member

I won a set of tenet pedals in an instagram competition and they Are proving real nice. Early days so can’t tell if they hold up over time. Really grippy, And just feel right if you know what I mean?
    vaults before this and they were great also.
    Nukeproof horizons do look good

Gotama
    Free Member

Big feet? Pedalling Innovations have been great for my size 12s. More grip and support than Vaults for me. Paul Aston of ex-Pinkbike rides and rates them as well without, i think, being paid to do so. I can see why they may not review that well if you have size 9/10 feet but it’s all proportional ain’t it?

Catalyst EVO

Or i would also be tempted by some of the new Chromag Dagga pedals.

superleggero
    Free Member

DMR V12 MG for the last 3 years. Been very happy with them. Haven’t performed any maintenance apart from a wipe and some spray lube and they still feel okay.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Running Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hills for 2 years.
    As of now, I got 2 pins snagged off and irreparably stripping the threads and internals are feeling very rough, so I’m thinking about retiring them. Nearly half the pins have been replaced and I’ve opened them up and cleaned/lubed everything twice.
    I guess 2 years is not to bad for a pair of pedals that are used 2/3 times a week on rocky and sometimes muddy trails. Still it’s a far cry from Shimano SPDs, I had a M540 pair lasting me 12 years.

I liked the Horizons, but could improve on:
    – the axle seal is just a joke, I need to manually reposition it often
    – the platform size is ok, but it seats so close to the crank that you end up not using a good deal of real estate
    – I dislike through pins. When a set screw type pin bends or wears down you grab the remaining with a good set of pliers and unscrew it. Through pins snap, bend or just get worn and you can’t just unscrew them, that damages the pedal body threads. You need to cut them first

petercook80
    Free Member

Pedalling Innovations Catalyst – the extra length really helps (as its designed to do) when out the saddle for any length of time – much less fatigue in the legs generally..  more grip as well.

Had Vaults before (which I won) but the Catalysts are better

Northwind

Plastic nukeproof horizons for me. Light, grippy, big enough, strong enough, I’ve had fancier pedals including vaults but for me these are just too hard to beat.

enigmas
    Free Member

I really rate unite components pedals. Had them on all winter and they’re still spinning smooth and the massive platform gives loads of grip and support for my size 11 feet.

Grip and feel is above and beyond that of the nano x’s on before. They are pricey and relatively heavy though.

gkeeffe

I got

vaults – great grip -crap sealing and bushes
    nano x – great at everything – huge though

mrmoofo

I have some Nukeproof plastic ones , around 25 quid.
    They are actually very good and grippy to boot!

ready

I’ve got the XTs. Really like them.
    Had Vaults before, really liked them, but not quite as much as the XTs
    Vaults were pricey, XTs were in a sale.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

DMR Vaults. Still doing the job. Maintenance free for 4+ years.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedals. What are you running?’ is closed to new replies.