Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Flat Pedals MTB and Suitable Shoes?
  • nytsom
    Free Member

Hi All, new on here. I have a question? MTB flat pedal Recommendations? But more importantly; What shoes are best for flat pedal riding?
    I use clipless pedals on all bikes, but need to use flat pedals on my 29’er. Should I look for dedicated MTB Flat pedal shoes or boots? or maybe find some suitable trail walking shoes to ride on flat pedals? (don’t want to be slipping off pedals when conditions are wet and slippy)
    What is everyone using?
    Thanks, Replies appreciated
    M…

cb200
    Free Member

Five Ten is the most popular, and for good reason.

I’ve also had Ion Raid shoes which actually lasted longer than the five tens, albiet with less grip and a stiffer sole.

Also, new kids on the block Ride Concepts would be worth a look.

Pyro

In normal STW ‘recommend what you’ve got’ stylee…

Pedal-wise there’s loads to choose from. Start with a plastic version of one of the decent platforms – I use the Crank Bros Stamp on two bikes. Nukeproof Neutrons get a good rep and they’re cheap.

Shoes-wise, get proper flat pedal shoes – I got a pair of 5.10 Impact VXis when they were on sale somewhere, through a PSA post on here. They’re massively, massively better than just riding in trainers of boots – okay, not as wholly connected as SPDs but a darn sight grippier than I actually expected them to be.

nytsom
    Free Member

Thanks guys, seems the 5.10’s are what to look for, anyone with a link to buy in the UK?
    Thanks

ta11pau1

Deffo go for proper flat pedal shoes.

I’ve got the Northwave Clan shoes which are excellent, 5-10’s seem to be the default choice, there’s too many option with them for me though.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Still gutted that Sombrio quit making Shazams and Flyer Sols. They were amazing.

Right now I picked up a pair of (as new) stiffer-soled skate shoes from the local charity shop. Quicksilver brand. Not bad at all for grip, but getting a tight lace on is a little difficult as they are low cut, they do tighten better with a thinner sock. Certainly good for £3 🙂

Tried the £15 Lidl fiveten copies and the cardboard midsole broke in half after two rides. Never again. Fiveten probably a good call if you have the dosh. Seem to have a monopoly on the market

trumpton
    Free Member

I’ve got the planet x shoes although they’ve gone up a tenner since I got them. not bad at all. grip isn’t the best though.

nytsom
    Free Member

Thanks for replies everyone, it’s appreciated.
    Bought myself a pair of DMR V12 mag pedals, £37, (New) inc postage.
    Shoes? looked at 5/10’s (still looking actually) but they’re expensive; and the ones on sale; never have my size. So, maybe look at other shoe options for flat pedals, Anyone riding on good grippy shoes that don’t cost a fortune?
    Thanks.

strugglinon
    Free Member

5:10s are unbelievably sticky. So much so that you have to lift your foot off the pedal to reposition, rather than shuffling a bit. Love em.

surreyxc
    Free Member

Five ten seem to be the go, will prob get some, that said I have always been fine with a good pair of trail running shoes, or approach shoes, some of which run the same stealth rubber, currently on Sportiva, possibly not as much grip, but good enough for jumps etc. The advantage of this type of shoe is they have way more grip off the bike, if you need to bike n hike, loads of gore tex versions, not only keep feet dry(ish) but stop chill, and can use for other outdoor sports.

surreyxc
    Free Member

I would also add that yep dedicated shoes might give you that slightest advantage, just as having all the top kit and bike. But as always it mostly comes down to the rider and technique. There will always be a kid on a £200 pound bike, in converse and jeans that will shred past you. :0)

endomick
    Free Member

I’ve been using fiveten impacts but could never really feel my pedals, just got some freeriders, way better. £60 or less in a few places at the moment, I paid £51 recently at crc, but stock was very limited.

toblerone1

5-10 Freeriders or the Specialized 2FO are both good options.

I have the Freerider elements for winter and the 2FO for summer, both really grippy on good flat pedals.

joebristol

I’ve used 5-10 freerider elements (think I paid about £50 in a sale a few years ago) and they’re definitely the best flat pedal shoes I’ve used for grip. In wet weather they do get waterlogged and can take a long time to dry out.

I’ve also got Adidas Terrex bike shoes – they’re not quite as grippy as the 5-10’s (but still decent) but dry out much much quicker.

Other than that I’ve heard the 2FO is pretty good.

For cheap there is that new Planet X flat pedal shoe – I’ve got no experience of it but if you’re on a budget it’s probably worth a pop.

rickonwheels
    Free Member

Every flat-pedal thread on here will get replies reflecting the monopoly that five-ten (now owned by adidas) seem to have on MTB shoes. These are good but expensive unless you are lucky enough to find some in your size which are on sale, and don’t look hideous.

I currently use DC skate shoes, which are generally stiffer than vans. Vans waffle soles grip fine on flat pedal too (Vans were the go-to shoes for BMX riders in the 80’s, for whom the “flat pedal with pins” that we generally use, was invented for), but they are too flexible for longer rides I find, you can almost feel the shape of the pedal through them after an hour.

I noticed Etnies now do some mtb shoes – it will be good to see some more skate companies bringing out MTB shoes, hopefully bring the prices down a bit?

droodling
    Free Member

For pedals I highly recommend Deity T-Mac flat pedals. Amazing levels of grip.

keithyr
    Free Member

Def agree on the Diety T-macs, tried DMR, Vaults, NP horizons etc and the T-Macs are by far the best for me. decent sized platform as well.

trumpton
    Free Member

I started getting on better with my On one shoes last night. Think they are good for the money now although I only paid thirty pounds for them. grip is fine.

mudfish

You do need 510 ideally. Helps to stop your foot slipping which can be nasty.

mudfish

Go outdoors sometimes have good 510 pricing. Blacks too. Sometimes those don’t come up on a general google search.

PrinceJohn

There’s always a few on ebay…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cycling/7294/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=five+ten&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

Keep an eye on Facebooks bikes selling sites too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Flat Pedals MTB and Suitable Shoes?’ is closed to new replies.