Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Flat bar or drop bar road bike?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m considering a new bike for medium to long rides but mostly sticking to cycle paths. I have problems with my back that means rough terrain and falling off must be avoided. The leaning forward position on any bike helps stretch my back the way it needs to stretch, but I mustn’t overdo it. I’m lucky enough to have Route 78 on my doorstep so sticking to cycle paths is no great hardship.

I’ve been looking at the Cube SL Road Race which looks like a decent purchase

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2020/bikes/road/road/sl-road/cube-sl-road-race-iridiumngreen-2020/

but also at the Nu Road Pro which is £100 more.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2020/bikes/road/cyclocross-gravel/nuroad/cube-nuroad-pro-blacknsharpgreen-2020/

I’ve had road bikes before but never a hybrid, so I’m wondering how they compare for comfort with a gravel bike? I’d probably stick short bar ends on the flat bar if I got that.

Just musing really but it’s always interesting to hear other’s thoughts.

(My current bike is a Bird Zero which is brilliant at what it’s meant for but not great for the type of riding I can do these days – I find it too sluggish on tarmac and the riding position is super wide and upright. I know I could change the tyres but my lad has grown into it now and likes riding it).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My 400 quid flat bar road bike is every bit as fast, and more comfortable, as my road bike was. Some folk like the multi hand position of drop bars, I’ve never had any need to move my hands on a flat barred or riser barred bike. YMMV.

ta11pau1

If you’re doing any road miles, drop bars. They’ll be better in headwinds, and you get the choice of 3 different hand positions.

They’re also easier on the hands as you don’t need to grip in the same way as a flat bar.

ElShalimo

My wife has got the base model Cube SL. It’s a good bike. Reminds me of a MTB from the 90s but in a good way. It’s been on some rough trails in Calderdale and on holiday abroad and it coped really well. I’d say it’s a great all-rounder if you don’t want drops.

@rOcKeTdOg
    reported  pretty much the same when I asked on here if anyone had one.

EDIT: she’s added some Ergon bar ends for extra hand positions

mboy
    Free Member

For me, it has to be drop bars. I need to move around and the multiple positions afforded by drop bars allow me to do that without getting stuck in one position for too long. However… If you’ve got back problems, I’d suggest going to a decent shop (when you can) and trying a few out for fit, you’re going to want something quite upright and relaxed I imagine if you wish to carry on with drop bars.

tjaard

As a bike fitter, I generally recommend a drop bar for road riding. A slightly flared drop bar gives a much more natural hand/elbow/shoulder position than a mtb bar. Try it out: stand up and stick out your hand like you are about to shake hands. That’s your drop bar grip. Now rotate your hand to a horizontal grip like a mtb bar. Feel that you have more strain in the joints that way?

Then there is the ability to swap hand positions and the narrow width is more aero.

If you choose a (hybrid)bike that comes with mtb bars, I would suggest swapping to narrow bars, and getting something with a lot of backsweep, or ‘bullhorn’ track racing style bars.

Or something like the Denham bars:

Comparing The KOGA Denham Bar Shape With Similar Alt Bars

Denham stuur (ze zijn weer leverbaar)

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive a road bike, a mtb and a hybrid. For me the most comfy to ride on the road is the mtb, followed by the hybrid with its flat bars. Sure, the road bike is fast and efficent and all that, but its a racing bike for the road. Im glad to get off it after several hours.

Sure, the road bike has 3 hand positions, but on the drops you are quite low down. (When Ive been out on roadie club rides almost no one rides on the drops) Plus drops are very narrow compared to a hybrid or mtb.

Once you remove Strava, aero and racing your mates from the equation I cant get past recommending a flat bar hybrid, with perhaps some bar ends or grips like Ergon do. Or some of those slightly swepped back bars you see some long distance riders using.

Road bikes are for riders who like to punish themselves and pay shed loads for a tiny aero gain, or to save a gram or two.

philjunior
    Free Member

Get a drop bar with the bars at an appropriate height. If you have good and bad days you can just use the drops on the good days.

Unless you’re just not used to a drop bar, it’s the way to go for comfort and variety. Flat bars are a bit better where you need control over rough stuff, but they’re less comfortable if you’re used to both.

philjunior
    Free Member

Sure, the road bike has 3 hand positions, but on the drops you are quite low down.

This is why I said to put them at an appropriate height for you.

ta11pau1

This. Just because it’s a road bike with an extreme position, and drop bars, doesn’t mean that all drop bar bikes are uncomfortable.

Get some wide, flared drop bars at a decent height and it’ll be all day comfy. More than a flat bar with one hand position.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ve had various bikes with drop cars over the years so familiar enough with them. Just never had a flat bar road bike or hybrid to compare.

Try it out: stand up and stick out your hand like you are about to shake hands. That’s your drop bar grip. Now rotate your hand to a horizontal grip like a mtb bar. Feel that you have more strain in the joints that way?

Never thought of this but it makes sense!

ta11pau1

I’d definitely be looking at a more relaxed geo gravel/adventure bike rather than a ‘proper’ road bike, something that can fit bigger tyre, and/or 650b too.

There’s a lot of choice out there, depending on your budget!

The drop bar cube isn’t bad, but if you can, try and get Hydro discs – the cost of upgrading to hydro discs from cable discs is a few hundred quid… and you’re likely to want to upgrade at some point.

martymac

There is no ‘right’ answer, what matters is what works for you.
    I have a charge filter (a sort of cx/light tourer) I’ve fitted it with a shorter, higher stem, and shallower, wider drop bars.
    It works for me (although i do have other bikes with flat bars)
    My mate has a genesis day one, which is a similar type of bike, he has removed the drops, and fitted flat bars with bar ends.
    It works for him.
    If i only had 1 bike, id want flat bars.

matt_outandabout

We’ve just been through this with mrs_oab.

We bought an xs Giant Liv Invite CX/ish bike. Bear in mind Mrs_oab is 5′, xs glove size… Our riding is 80-90% rough road and a bit of forest track.

We discovered that small hands and drop bar shifters don’t mix well, that OEM drops have the same , err, drop no matter the frame size, so for a shorty the proportionate drop is much bigger..

She tried for a few weeks, but we’ve swapped out for a superlight/flexi flat bar and she is much happier.

It’s also allowed more padded grips, bar ends and brake levers we can adjust in and for bite (old Avids from the spares box). I moved her saddle back a cm or so.

I’m sure on a windy day or if you’re banging out the miles watching your HR, drop bars have an advantage. For fun, adaptability and better ergonomics (particularly for a small person), flats suit better.
    null

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got a Genesis Day One Cross, but the early SS one. I love it but SS is not so great for me any more. And my daughter has pretty much nicked it for uni anyway.

I won’t be in a rush. I just want to be able to get out on a bike again, and get some steady rides in – couple of hours or something. The pubs are 11 and 18 miles away.

Maybe I just need a Dawes Galaxy 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

I figured a flat bar with stubby bar ends would give me the same as tops plus drops but wider for my monkey shoulders. No drops but I can’t really see properly on them on the Genesis anyway.

failedengineer

I put flat carbon bars and stubby bar ends on my Croix de Fer. Much comfier. Needed a slightly longer stem (120mm). I just can’t get on with drops – must be my little T Rex arms, I guess. Regarding the wind, the bars are still fairly low and not your typical hybrid position, I’d say.

scotroutes

Drops. You’ll thank me every time you are heading back to FW along the canal.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

A touring bike is not a bad suggestion. My gravelly thing is more tourer than racer with drop bars level with the saddle and quite short reach. I can use all the positions (and do) on a ride.

Discovered a long time ago I prefer drops for road and light off road due to “hood”
    Position. You tend to stay in the same position on bike more so the option to move hands is a wrist- saver.

Mtb a bit different as the body moves around so much the hands are happy where they are. Ymmv.

Northwind

I can’t get on with drops. I’ve no trouble with the idea that they’re better, but not for me. But luckily flats work great for me, I don’t miss the multiple hand positions because the one I’ve got is perfect for just about everything. EXCEPT wind tucking, which is doable but definitely not natural or really comfortable.

The other nice thing is, it makes stuff cheap, and it can be the place mtb stuff goes to die. Mine has 9 speed X9 on it and some ancient formula brakes but tbh I’ve never tried a road brake that felt as good as these and they’re basically worthless. And I picked up a set of really light, really out of fashion skinny mtb wheels (as it has mtb spacing) for buttons.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Drops. You’ll thank me every time you are heading back to FW along the canal

Aye that’s true!

philjunior
    Free Member

We discovered that small hands and drop bar shifters don’t mix well, that OEM drops have the same , err, drop no matter the frame size, so for a shorty the proportionate drop is much bigger..

A variety of drops are available – that drop looks about as big as they get. You could also have put a stem with rise on. And some thick foam coverings for drop bars are also available. Not saying the flat option might be better for your case, but the position is perfectly achievable.
    There are short reach brifters available too, but I’m not sure what level they start at, and it can take some fiddling to get them set up in a comfy position that works on the hoods and the drops.
    Still, she can just draft you in the case of a headwind and if she’s not used to drops she’ll probably be more comfy on the setup you’ve changed to.

ElShalimo

Flared drops like on ggggggravel bikes?

RustySpanner

Maybe I just need a Dawes Galaxy 😀

Yep. 🙂

I have very wide, shallow drops.
    Spot on. Set them as high as you like, no one cares.

But get something that’s comfy for you.

My hands cramp up badly on flats after a few hours on the road, so they’re the perfect solution.

matt_outandabout

A variety of drops are available – that drop looks about as big as they get. You could also have put a stem with rise on. And some thick foam coverings for drop bars are also available. Not saying the flat option might be better for your case, but the position is perfectly achievable.

We did do higher stem, I tried rotating bars too.

The issue is more
    A) bar->brake reach for small fingers
    B) hoods->levers reach for small fingers
    C) that relatively big drop to the drops – and I wasn’t up for the faff of bar changes, especially as…
    D) she wanted flats and her old bar ends back 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As ever, Northwind describes my thoughts much better than I can. 😂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Double post.

philjunior
    Free Member

D) she wanted flats and her old bar ends back 😆

Yeah that’s difficult to overcome with drops.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I never got on with drops either. 47cm flat bar with bar ends, and Ergon-style grips here.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve almost had my Cube Attain GTC Disc for 3 years now, while I’ve had my Voodoo Wazoo fatbike for just over 4 years and a set of FatNotFat 29er wheels for just over 3.5 years IIRC.

I’d guess I did less than 20 rides on the Wazoo with 29er wheels that were more than ~2 hours of riding, with the bike weighing ~10.5Kg in its lightest guise without a 750ml water bottle mounted. Recently the rear 29er hub started playing up (losing pawl engagement) and I stopped using it, fitting the original fat wheel and Jumbo Jim and it’s now a slog simply cycling home from work in 20-25mins up ~375 feet of climbing over ~4.5 miles.

Under normal circumstances, a 2-hour ride on the Cube to around Warnford would be a minimum, it’s ~8.5Kg before water bottles and even before I recently put the stem as low as it could go it’s simply far more aero a position for me to ride in. So more of my energy goes into moving than battling against a virtual windsock.

Have to say though, I do like the look of the On-One Whippets in orange at PX , they are doing the SRAM SX version (and a few other complete bikes) with an MTB15 promo code until midnight on Good Friday, making it ~£850. Looks like a sturdy but light, fun bike.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Flat bar or drop bar road bike?’ is closed to new replies.