Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Flash packing (posh bike packing)?
  • tall_martin

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/dec/04/travel-buzzwords-painmoon-staycation-glamping-lexicon

Is it the same as credit card touring ?

Is it a thing?

Is it a good thing?

I thought the difference between touring and bike packing was the wild camping any old place part?

steezysix
    Free Member

It’s all people having fun on bikes, so it’s alright by me. Though I’m sure there’ll be people on Bearbones complaining in a “well, that’s not how I do it, harumph, harumph…” kind of way! 

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’ll need a flashpacking specific bike, obviously.

*New niche klaxon!*

jameso

Touring is touring, it’s great whether it’s cool or not.

jam-bo

It’s all people having fun on bikes, so it’s alright by me. Though I’m sure there’ll be people on Bearbones complaining in a “well, that’s not howIdo it, harumph, harumph…” kind of way!

If there is Rapha or fires involved it’ll be double harumphing…

poly
    Free Member

Is it the same as credit card touring ?

Is it a thing?

According to the article:

flashpacking (posh backpacking), poshtel (fancy hostel) and bleisure (a combined business and leisure trip) – have remained the preserve of travel websites and blogs – so far.

So (1) No its posh BACKpacking not BIKEpacking; (2) by its own admission that terminology is not (yet) “a thing”, although I’m sure there has been a scale of luxury/comfort involved in backpacking for years.  Its not the “on foot” variant of c/card touring – to me, that is enable by travelling ultralight by carrying virtually nothing except a c/c but might be stating in hostels etc.  I suspect posh backpacking involves things like “baggage transfer”, “hotels”, etc… rather than the minimalist freedom of a c/c.

It’s all people having fun on bikes, so it’s alright by me.

Except its not!  The article doesn’t mention the work bike anywhere!

tall_martin

7 am misreading error!

So flash packing = the grand tour with trunks and porters 🙂

winston
    Free Member

Posh bikepackers aren’t new!

Image result for edwardian cycle touring

avdave2

You’ll need a flashpacking specific bike, obviously.

And the right shoes obviously

jameso

Article may not mention bikes but there have been flashpacking bikepacking trips posted on Instagram… it’s a ‘thing’, of sorts. I thought it was some kind of last min microadventure get together idea.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Gravel Dash? Its like bikepacking but with a chef and a beer tent at the other end (and broom wagon of eternal shame).

MSP

I think I saw some article a few years ago (might have even been in ST), where they were biking between fire lookout towers in the US that had been converted as accommodation, looked pretty flash, and also very awesome.

edit: I don’t think this is the one I read, but fill your boots anyway…

https://salsacycles.com/stories/montana_firetower_bucket_brigade/montana_firetower_lookout_womens_bikepacking_trip

joshvegas
    Free Member

Posh bikepackers aren’t new!

Image result for edwardian cycle touring

That was only taken last week. Epicyclo has modernised his bike i see.

epicyclo

joshvegas

That was only taken last week. Epicyclo has modernised his bike i see.

Indeed 🙂

Note it now has gears, 4 of them. I understand what 3 of them are for, one for uphill, one for the flat bits, and one for downhill, so is the other some sort of spare?

Being keen to lose my luddite reputation, I took note when everyone on STW eschewed stretchy cable brakes.

I was keen to be part of this modern trend and discarded my cable brakes. My bike’s brakes are now operated by unstretchable steel rods.

I feel so modern… 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Epicyclo we’ve actually shared a few moments of conversation and pushing somewhere near contin in the muddle of the night in a january.

I know you have a modern bike 😁 well… 26inch… Admittedly very large 26inch… Wheels.

epicyclo

At that time I would probably have been gibbering more than usual… 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Flash packing (posh bike packing)?’ is closed to new replies.