• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iian.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Flapjack alternatives to energy bars
  • thered

Energy bars are horrible aren’t they.
    Flapjacks are lovely.
    What flapjacks do you eat as an alternative or is there something else I should try?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Energy bars are horrible aren’t they.

Nope found heaps of nice ones on my travels, mint choc cliff was my last find 🙂

Flapjacks are lovely.

Depends, some are really crap.

just make your own if you want them and get through enough to make a batch

prawny

Tesco Finest Granola Squares.

Not cheap, but I chop them in half and wrap in tin foil. They’re delicious.

Get through a pack a week cycling to work, costs £1.50 when they’re not on offer.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have to buy rubbish ones, I eat all the good ones before I even think of going riding.

benp1

Cheap ones are made with spread. Homemade ones are butter, much nicer (unless you buy the fancier ones)

I rarely eat ‘energy’ bars, but eat lots of snack bars (or snacks) that give me energy

Last weekend for a 2 day trip I had eat natural bars and nakd bars, lots of these. Plus some dark chocolate marzipan, 4 pork pies, a scotch egg, a bag of nuts and some chocolate.

They’re all packed with energy. Sometimes I really fancy something savoury

kelron
    Free Member

80p tesco value tray works for me. It’s not the best flapjack but you really can’t go too far wrong with oats and syrup.

freeagent
    Free Member

The big slabs in home bargains for about 30p each.
    Whilst they’re clearly not ‘Artisan flapjack made with organic ingredients by a tattooed hipster in a converted barn’ they are around 500 calories each, and taste reasonable.

molgrips
    Free Member

Torq energy bars are every bit as nice as flapjacks. Whenever I buy some I end up eating the raspberry ones as snacks even when not riding.

Flapjack though isn’t great for hard riding as it’s got tons of fat in it which is harder to digest and more work for your stomach. On a bimble though it works well.

bearGrease

4 pork pies

Oh yes!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bearGrease – Member

4 pork pies

Oh yes![/quote]
    Except in the grand scheme of things protein is harder to digest when you are active so it’s not really very efficient as a fuel before or during exercise.

bearGrease

4 pork pies

I love pork pies so was very pleased to read this in the joining instructions for mini-greasers ski camp:

Hill snacks can and should include foods high in carbohydrates such as wholemeal bread, oat based products and fruit. Please avoid fatty foods as this can cause lethargy. Mini pork pies, flapjacks, wraps, small pasta pots, hearty soups are all good lunch ideas.

I sent him with a rucksack full of Melton Mowbray’s finest.

benp1

That’s true. But I’m balancing it out with other stuff like marzipan and snack bars for a full balanced diet 😆

Also they’re delicious!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I use Nature Valley bar things. They are a bit on the dry side but at least that means you drink more.

I got some free SIS energy bars, and they did not keep me going half as long

fifeandy
    Free Member

is there something else I should try?

[img]https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/787/5050083344787/IDShot_540x540.jpg[/img]

belugabob
    Free Member

A good alternative to flapjacks are those lunchbox size soreen bars. Easy to digest, individually wrapped, ideal for stuffing in your pockets and nice & squidgy for when you land on them.

pedlad

Love flapjacks and hate expensive engery bars/gels/drinks.

Another vote for cheap ones as oats+sugar+salt (if they’ve come out of a big factory bound to contain some) is all good for endurance if not as a staple.

Those nature valley ones are nice but v v dry.
    A bag of dried fruit mix and salted cashews served me well on chase the sun.

pipiom
    Free Member

I mix Chia seeds, chopped nuts, raisins, prunes apricots (dried),porridge, muesli and honey; roll em into little balls and put em in the fridge. Wrap 5 or 6 up in clingfilm and put them in my pocket/pack. Eat one every 1/2 hour or so on the fly……works for me and quick/easy to make.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Those nature valley ones are nice but v v dry.

Agreed, would probably take about 15 mins per mouthful trying to eat on the bike

kayla1
    Free Member
    honeybadgerx

I grabbed a few boxes of graze protein bites on offer the other week. Very few have made it out of the house…

ransos
    Free Member

I really like the Hugh FW recipe for energy bars. Easier to digest than flapjacks and way tastier than commercial stuff.

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/honey-and-peanut-butter-booster-bars

kayla1
    Free Member

If I may?

http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/Products/Peanut-Butters/Organic/Peanut-Butter-Crunchy-100

No salt, sugar or, more importantly, palm oil. And it’s delicious.

poolman
    Free Member

As above but add seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds in my current batch. Also try adding some different nuts like macadamia, cashew and almond.

Also try mashed banana in there.

Good tip re flapjack balls…i ll give it a go

iian
    Free Member

Clif bars

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Flapjack alternatives to energy bars’ is closed to new replies.