Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Flakey internet connection: Router or Mr. BT?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Is there anyway to find out whether it’s my adsl modem/router dropping my internet connection regularly (about 3 -10 times a day) or BT goofing around at the exchange? Drop out only lasts for 10-30 seconds but its a pain in the ‘arris nonetheless since I work from home.

I have a Voyager 2110 if that is any help.

cheers all.

wwaswas

you sure it’s the adsl going down and not the connection from your pc to the router?

Stoner
    Free Member

yep. the “internet” light goes out on the router, but the LAN lights stay on

wwaswas

is the voyager one of BT’s own modems?

personally, I’d report a fault and they can get an engineer to do a line test – you might as well look at that first – it won’t cost you ‘owt.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

BT are the shittest company ever. Sack them off, and go with someone else.

I know, I know; they’re all shit.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers. WIll see what I can get out of BT then.

wwaswas

Rudeboy – whoever you’re with the local loop is still managed by BT…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Re-nationalise the actual exchanges. Telecommunications are now seen as a necessity, right? So why in the hands of private companies? I say, make the actual hardware state-owned, and then lease the use of that hardware to the companies.

Why was BT privatised? To encourage ‘competition’, apparently. Hmm, so BT have a monopoly of managing the exchanges, right, so that’s fair, eh?

Mind, I spose while BT does still have the monopoly, those who invested in it can feel safe that their investments are safe, eh?

Wonder who sold it off in the first place, eh? Hmm…

See, Stoner; that’s why your internets are shit, basically. Because your of beloved Auntie Maggie.

Re-Nationalise everything. All the privatised stuff has got shitter, and costs loads more. Maggie’s ‘nice little earner’ hazzunt exactly worked, has it???

Die….

Stoner
    Free Member

aha, found this on their FAQ page, seems to answer the question.

Why does my broadband connection sometimes appear intermittent, usually accompanied by a flashing light on my modem or router after Up to 8Mb Broadband is activated?

This is most likely to be the broadband service automatically adjusting your speed in order to maintain the fastest possible stable connection (a process known as ‘re-synching’). Re-synchs are usually triggered by electrical interference affecting your phone line. The re-synch process requires the broadband signal to be dropped for 20-60 seconds while a new stable speed is identified. If you have a router or hub, your broadband service should then re-connect automatically; if you have a modem, you will usually see a prompt on your computer screen asking you to re-connect manually.

Stoner
    Free Member

found this:

On my line the router syncs with the exchange at about the same speed as my old Netgear (DG834G) router. It does however seem to drop the line much easier when the errors build up – it appears to me that if it sees a large number of errors a second it will resync regardless of the SNR and attenuation. This means that it resyncs with the exchange much more frequently than the Netgear did.
    On the plus side though, there is a facility in the Broadcom chipset to override the default SNR setting issued by the BT exchange. This allows me to get a higher sync speed than the BT would otherwise allow, and on troublesome lines it would also allow a higher SNR (and thus lower sync) to help rule out some problems. To do this you need a utitility freely available on the web called DMT (v8). This functionality was the main reason I wanted a Broadcom based router.
    The reason I am using the router to lower my SNR (and raise my sync) is my line has an intermittant fault which causes the SNR to die totally (forcing a resync with the exchange). BT’s standard fix is to raise the default (lowest) SNR to 15dB and turn on interleaving. Now I accept interleaving as it does help reduce the CRC errors I see on my line but the SNR doesn’t work as I still see the drops. BTs faults teams have turned down my default SNR to 9dB but the automated systems at BT keep overriding them and turning it back up. Using DMT I have set my router to sync with a SNR of approx 8.5-9dB and see very little problems (except when I get this SNR dropping fault)

anyone got any comments on it?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes, it’s Maggie’s fault.

Drac

Try a new filter first often causes problems like this.

Stoner
    Free Member

Drac – ROuter is connected to the main supply box and there are no extensions or telephones connected so I understand that filters arent neccessary.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive downloaded DMT and had a go at changing the SNR rate to c9dB using this as a guide. http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm
    Will see if it’s more stable

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Flakey internet connection: Router or Mr. BT?’ is closed to new replies.