Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fizzy. What scooter advice please.
  • alexpalacefan

Hello, after advice from the fountain of all wisdom.

My lad is looking to get a scooter to commute, around 12 miles on A roads.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>So, what does he need to do, and what to avoid.</span>

I assume the first thing id CBT. Then what to look for in a used ‘ped, where’s best for insurance, and is there anything else I need to know.

Thanks in advance for any help, or indeed any mickey taking 🙂

APF

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Lots to consider here, but if the journey is on A-roads i would suggest you look at small motorcycles rather than mopeds. Modern twist and go mopeds pretty much all have small wheels which drop into potholes quite easily – not really a problem in town but out of town they can be easily missed on a dark night.

In terms of actual models I know two people who do this and take very different approaches.

1. Spend a bit of cash on something from the big manufacturers, maintain it well (More spendy than you might think.)

2. Buy a brand new Chinese copy, do the bare minimum or maintenance, bin it when its first MOT becomes due.

Cost probably about the same in the long run.

You won’t go wrong with a Honda CB125F, and it will retain some value.

or for less cash the Lexmoto range are well regarded.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Honda CB125F also (assuming he’s over 17).  Plenty of second-hand ones on the market as people buy and then quickly move on – but saying that they do hold the values pretty well as it’s a buoyant market with new riders arriving all the time.

The KTM Dukes are nice but pricey – ditto the Yamaha MT-125.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

And yes, first thing is to get the CBT sorted.

breninbeener

How old is he? At 16 he can old ride a 50cc after cbt. At 17 he can ride a proper 125 motorcycle.

Does he have a licence? Does it have motorcycle entitlement on it? Even if he has a car provisional it may not have the groups to learn on a 125.

Apply for licence asap.

alexpalacefan

Licence, of course, I’ll get him to check.

Thanks all,

Alex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fizzy. What scooter advice please.’ is closed to new replies.