Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fizzy Water Maker
  • darkroomtim
    Free Member

So as part of my very overdue reduction in alcohol consumption measures, I’ve started drinking super-market sparking water. Thing is I’m going through quite a lot of those small plastic bottles so thinking I should really look to make my own as better for the environment. Anyone have any recommendations on whats good ?

zippykona

My friend has a soda stream and she loves it.
    We buy litre bottles in Aldi for 17p.

ayjaydoubleyou

Got a soda stream, for the same reasons as you (plus trying to cut down on sugary drinks during the day).

It has cut my drinking (not hard this year) and saved me money. Don’t think it will come out financially on top vs 17p supermarket bottles but personally am happy to pay a bit more for the plastic reduction. (No judging, I’m far from an eco-saint myself)

ElShalimo

Be careful with the salt levels in supermarket fizzy water. It can be really high.

It’s safer to keep your alcohol consumption levels high

😉

rickmeister

Local supermarket sells crates of fizzy water in glass. Its cheaper than a Soda Stream / litre once the bottles/crate is returned and its one less thing on the kitchen worktop.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend one that isn’t SodaStream?

Been wanting one for years, but won’t give them my money.

iolo
    Free Member

but won’t give them my money.

Why not?

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Why not?

Probably because…..Jews.

Poster will however probably buy petrol derived from Saudi oil fields and food grown with petrochemical fertilizers also derived from Saudi Oil, Chinese phones made with Uyghur slave labour and pay taxes to a country and establishment that bombed Iraq into a decade long civil war.

Waderider
    Free Member

Sodastream are pretty mucky and not an ethical buy, but I do have one.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a small 2 litre stainless keg and a Co2 system I use for my homebrew taps, so I can carbonate anything really. Been thinking of trying some fizzy milk.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Probably because…..Jews.

Nope, nothing to do with religion.
    More to do with the politics of the country and the company.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I’m guessing BDS?

If it helps PepsiCo bought them quite a few years ago.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

ta for replies…ah decisions…decisions. I’m going to give some of the fancier brands a try over the weekend to see if there’s any actual difference in taste and they tend to be glass…else will give SodaStream or a derivative thereof a go.

hugo
    Free Member

Poster will however probably buy petrol derived from Saudi oil fields and food grown with petrochemical fertilizers also derived from Saudi Oil, Chinese phones made with Uyghur slave labour and pay taxes to a country and establishment that bombed Iraq into a decade long civil war.

An unfortunate truth.

We have a soda stream type thing but different brand. Can’t buy Israeli products here….!

Does the job for fizzy water. Better with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

eulach

but won’t give them my money.

You’d best stop drinking Pepsi, eating Sugar Puffs and watching Match of the Day as well then.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

You’d best stop drinking Pepsi, eating Sugar Puffs and watching Match of the Day as well then.

Two outa three ain’t bad…

I would absolutely love to avoid giving money to Saudi and China. Any info you can provide which helps me to do so would be much appreciated.
    Regarding the tax thing, not much I can do about that without breaking the law.

< GettingVeryContentious> and given that part of the history behind the Iraq is the relationship between the West and the key players in the middle East over….
    <\AchSodItIWontGoThere>

What’s the alternative brand Hugo?

infidel
    Free Member

We go through loads of fizzy water at home and went with a sodastream yonks ago – at the time it was a plastic reduction thing rather than price as the cost of the gas refills meant the end cost was roughly similar BUT if you go to CO2 supermarket website you can buy an adapter to refill your sodastream bottles yourself. You’ll also need to find a local pub gas supplier and get wither a 6kg or 12kg CO2 bottle from them. For me there was the initial deposit to hire the bottle from them of about £60 but that is refunded when you return it and then a 12kg bottle is £20. Given the 450g sodastream bottles are something like £15 it is much cheaper.

The actual refill is easy. Take empty sodastream bottle and freeze it for a couple of hours. Attach adapter/filler from CO2 supermarket and fill. I put the big CO2 cylinder upside down to ensure liquid CO2 goes into the sodastream bottle. Done.

Little tricks I have learned – 1. some sodastream bottles have a valve on the end to stop you refilling them. Again CO2 supermarket sell an alternative valve you can swap in so you can fill easily. 2. Some teflon tape around the thread of the sodastream bottle before you screw it into the filler adapter helps the process.

https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/adapters-for-co2-regulators-co2-cylinder-refilling-adapters-gsc92.html

hugo
    Free Member

It’s called “home soda”. I suspect it’s a specific Middle East, ie non Israel thing.

Cougar

If it’s just for fizzy water rather than other carbonated drinks, isn’t this exactly what a soda syphon is for? A quick google would suggest one would set you back about £30.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fizzy Water Maker’ is closed to new replies.