Home Forums Chat Forum Fixing shower wall panels

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fixing shower wall panels
  • faz71

Tomorrow I’ll be fitting some upvc wall panels in our shower but can’t decide what sticky stuff to use – grab adhesive (non solvent) or clear silicone. If it makes a difference they’ll be going on to sealed bare plaster walls. So, what would a STW’er use?

Bear
    Free Member

CT1, expensive but very good.

dmck16
    Free Member

Refitted my shower room a while back, onto plasterboard stud work. No complaints with this:

https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-solvent-free-multi-stick-grab-adhesive/p38941

Make sure it hasn’t been sitting out in a cold garage, bring it up to room temp before use – it’s thick stuff, not the easiest to squeeze out.

faz71

Like the look of that toolstation stuff. I’m looking for something that grabs well as one wall is straight (interior stud wall) but the other exterior wall is a bit wonky. Put a straight edge down it and there are some 10mm gaps and the wall board isn’t very flexible!
    Is the CT1 worth the extra?

eskay

I bought my panels from this lot and they recommended this stuff:

https://www.mbdiy.co.uk/shop/consumables-accessories/sealants-adhesives/megabond-ultra-strength-adhesive/

Used it on plastered walls and they haven’t budged.

So glad I used the panels and not tiles, no mouldy grouting. We have a 1.2m shower cubicle and have a single panel on the long length with no joints.

Bear
    Free Member

If there are larger gaps use some grip fill as well as it doesn’t compress as much so easier to pack out with.
    If cost is an issue use silicone as it does stick well, especially if you use some grip fill in places. You will probably want to prop the walls whilst adhesive goes off.

nickjb
    Free Member

I used silicone. Its been up a while now without issue. I must admit I don’t like over fixing things. If I want to redecorate or something needs changing it shouldn’t be too difficult or destructive. Silicone is good for this. It sticks extremely well but comes off relatively easily when you want it to.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I used Stixall on some panels two years ago and no problems yet!!!

faz71

Finally got it done using Toolstation Multistick. Hope I’m not the one who has to take it off!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fixing shower wall panels’ is closed to new replies.