Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • “fixed term contract” “contractor” vs “permanent” job – employee rights?
  • johndrummer
    Free Member

just been offered a job on a fixed term two year contract, with the option to become permanent.

in the past i’ve had mostly permanent jobs and one contract job. With a contract job the client can either not renew, or terminate early, and the contractor has very few employment rights.

as a permanent employee you have more rights, to the extent that it’s harder to get rid of  someone once they’ve passed the probation period.

how does a FTC work? Can they just can you if someone high up doesn’t like you? Or are you given the same rights as a permanent employee? Or is it like you’re on probation for the duration of the FTC?

chvck
    Free Member

This may vary depending on the contract but when I was on a FTC I was a standard full time employee with all of the standard benefits and just had a fixed date when my job would terminate (it was extended the first time and meant I was able to leave with not much notice to go elsewhere the second time).

johndrummer
    Free Member

I think that’s what i’ve been offered here. Could be extended if the project runs over, could become permanent. I guess I’ll know more when I see the contract

bikebouy
    Free Member

FTis FTE contract, same rights under 2 years.

johndrummer
    Free Member

By FTE I assume you mean full time employee?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘“fixed term contract” “contractor” vs “permanent” job – employee rights?’ is closed to new replies.