Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Five days in Scotland.
  • gkeeffe

I’m going with my son for five days to Scotland to do some riding. He’s 16 and we usually ride in the Lakes.

He fancies a couple of days at Glentress. Where else should we go for some excelllent more natural riding? Good places to stay and veggie food would also be appreciated…

Sandwich

There are some good natural trails around Peebles enough for 3 to 4 days then there’s Innerleithen just down the road.

tjagain

Don’t try to do too much driving would be my suggestion. Plenty to keep you entertained for a few days in the tweed valley both trail centre and natural. Want another area? Aviemore for natural or fort william for the gondola uplift trails

orangeboy
    Free Member

Inners for me it just seemed less busy but only ever been up there in Septembers
    That and a nice cafe in the middle of the village but can’t remember the name sorry

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I could quite easily spend 5 days riding the tweed valley without going further afield. So much awesome riding, and means no driving once yer there.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

I could quite easily spend 5 days riding the tweed valley without going further afield.

You could do but you’d miss a lot of amazing riding of a different character to what the tweed can offer.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The tweed valley is all quite soft and rolling countryside. There’s a lot of spectacular riding and epic scenery in other places that’s worth trying.

allfankledup

Tweed Valley – but mostly for the lure of the sausage rolls

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Need to try the Lasagne pie in Forsythe’s butcher in Peebles allfankledup! brawsome!

gkeeffe

(There’s a lot of spectacular riding and epic scenery in other places that’s worth trying.)..

Where would you suggest???

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How much driving do you want to do? Lots of places on the map look pretty close to each other ATCF, but in reality are a fair old drive.

Frinstance, Skye looks as if it’s ‘just past fort William’, in reality it’s a fair old run either way (and the riding’s no worth it IMHO)

I suggested the Tweed valley based on this reasoning, bang for buck, I can’t think of another area in the country that has as many trails, natural, hand cut or trail centre type.

Aviemore and Laggan is a good option to base yourself, as is Fort william, easily 5 days great riding around those areas too.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Can you wait and see what the weather is doing? Little point in trekking up to Torridon for it to lash with rain for 5 days.

gkeeffe

Thanks everyone. I was wondering about maybe one of the islands for a couple of days? Is there good riding there, One day travelling not too bad as I might need a break after chasing him up everything… or am I better going to FW or Aviemore??

dragon
    Free Member

Doa couple of days in Glentress then head up to the Cairngorms. Peebles to Avimore is only 3 hours drive, a bit less even if you stay around Newtonmore instead. You can always stop at Dunkeld on the way up as well, if you fancy another possible ride option.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

gkeeffe – Member
    (There’s a lot of spectacular riding and epic scenery in other places that’s worth trying.)..

Where would you suggest???

POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Arran, Kinlochleven (no, NOT the Ciaran Path!), Torridon, Harris, Strathcarron, Black Isle, Aviemore, Braemar)

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

It’s not clear exactly what kind of riding you’re after – steep natural stuff? trail centre? XC epics?

gkeeffe

Hi all thanks for the replies. We want some epic xc riding with top downhill action!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d say Fort William, Dunkeld and Aviemore, with Laggan and Comrie options. Loads of variety and not too far apart. If you normally ride at the Lakes then hit the Tweed Valley another time as its not too far. Maybe Dunkeld> Aviemore> Laggan> Fort William.

tjagain

gkeeffe – Member

Thanks everyone. I was wondering about maybe one of the islands for a couple of days?

Not worth it for that short a time. By the time you have driven to the ferryport and been on the ferry you will lose half a day each way.

chakaping
    Free Member

What kind of riding do you both enjoy in the Lakes?

How much time do you want to spend on the road?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Whilst the tweed valley is amazing (I’m biased being a local!) with 6-7 different hills and riding areas there is loads to do, but going north for something totally different is definitely worth it.

As said Aviemore or Fort William/Kinlochleven would be my choice.

When are you coming up?
    Happy to do some showing round the tweed valley if i’m around.

gkeeffe

Cool.. we like garburn, grizedale etc – not done much bike park . up around 10/11 July if anyone is around…

chakaping
    Free Member

We had an amazing Scottish road trip this spring, six days of riding in Dunkeld, Cairngorms, Torridon, Applecross, Torridon again and Kinlochleven/Glencoe.

If you’re doing two days in the Tweed Valley, then the North West Highlands are probably too far – so I’d consider heading up to Dunkeld, on to Aviemore the next day then across to Kinlochleven to ride the Devil’s Staircase and Ciaran Path.

Drop me a line if you want a route for the latter.

gkeeffe

Cheers Chakaping – a route in kinlochleven would be great…. gdotkeeffeatmedotcom

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Five days in Scotland.’ is closed to new replies.