Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fitting Hope RX4+
  • joebristol

So I’ve just ordered an RX4+ caliper for the back of my road bike – the Shimano caliper on there now seems to be micro leaking. What a surprise! It lasted longer than I expected – 2.5 years ish – but it’s still pathetic.

Are there any particular quirks to fitting one of these / anything I should watch out for? I’m going to bleed itnon the bike as I have internally routed cables and on the Cannondale they aren’t done that cleverly to be honest.

Seems I cut off the caliper end and the RX4 comes with new fittings for the hose. I’m hoping I’ve got enough slack in the system to avoid new hose being required.

I believe there’s a Hope video as there’s some tomfoolery to be done with the pistons and how they are bled – unless anyone has experienced otherwise I guess I’ll just follow that 🤷‍♂️

robgclarkson
    Free Member

follow the hope video…. if a cack handed fool like me can do it right 1st time (on the bike like you) then you can too…..

honestly, dead easy

codybrennan
    Free Member

Following as my SRAM compatible RX4 is sitting proudly on my garage workbench, after my complete failure to bleed it into a working state.

joebristol

I’m hoping I don’t fail miserably to get the RX4 on and bled / working. I’m normally ok at most bike tasks but brake bleeding is one of my least favourite activities. Sram is ok with bleeding edge as at least the caliper end is neat. Shimano I made a bit of a mess last time but still ended up with a decently useable brake.

devonboy
    Free Member

This was my first attempt at fitting and bleeding a disc caliper,in my case Hope RX4 in place of SRAM Force caliper.Did it on the bike,the front was very easy,two syringes,one at each end and I used the Hope video as a guide.The rear was more of a struggle,it took three bleeds and I ended up propping up the bike vertically as I got air trapped in the hose run somewhere.The result justified the effort as the Hope calipers are much better than the Force ones.Bike is an On One Freeranger with internal routing.

ahsat

Follow the video. It was fine – only took one attempt. Main thing with the back one is do it with the calliper off the bike so it hangs below the BB.

nixie

If you are only fitting one I’d be tempted to put it up front and move the working Shimano caliper to the rear.

joebristol

If you are only fitting one I’d be tempted to put it up front and move the working Shimano caliper to the rear.

Front is post mount / rear is flat mount though – so not ideal. Don’t think I can fit a post mount caliper to rear flat mount. Or maybe it’s the other way round 🤷‍♂️

When the front one goes I’ll
    Change that with Hope too.

ransos
    Free Member

I followed the Hope instructions and used an Epic bleed kit. Worked fine but took a long time to get all the bubbles out of the line.

joebristol

Cool – I’ve got an epic bleed kit for Shimano brakes which I used when I changed the sti’s from mechanical to di2. Hopefully it’ll work ok – I found the whole thing an arse with that funnel thing as the road bike bars only needed to rotate a bit and it changed the angle of the funnel massively. I think I need to bodge a way to keep the handlebars at one angle. Will do the whole thing with the bike in a stand with no wheels on at either end and the bike angled down at the back.

codybrennan
    Free Member

OK, I’m going for it again. Rear. Bleed kit is out!!!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

All the RX4 and RX4+ I’ve bought have come with syringes etc included. Just needed the shimano funnel for the lever and oil. Honestly really easy to do.

joebristol

Interesting they’ve come with syringes – will see what turns up. Should be arriving tomorrow – new style RX4+ for flat mount +20mm. Hope I’ve ordered the right one – did the measuring of current mounts and have a 160mm rotor on the bike 🤷‍♂️

ahsat

I’ve the new RX4+ on 160 mm rotors. They turned up with syringes. We found it useful that one person watched the oil level in the funnel, whilst another person dealt with the syringe at the bottom of the bike.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Mine didn’t have syringes etc, but then it was bought in 2019 and is an RX4.

Turned out that I couldn’t locate the hose fittings today, but a quick order to Wiggle and they should be here tomorrow.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Turns out my RX4 had a crack in it where the hose insert threads in. Back on SRAM.

woody1980
    Free Member

Just fitting mine to my Diverge, is there a knack to it not leaking the fluid out of the bleed port between syringe removal and grub screw install?!

stevious

Ooh, been looking to do the same thing on my leaky gravel bike brakes. Where did folk find stock – my usual haunts do t have what I’m looking for

ahsat

Contact your LBS and they can order directly from Hope. Last I heard there is a 6 week lead time.

koogia
    Free Member

Pre-order and wait if you want some RX4+ calipers.

Knack to stopping fluid leaking out of bleed port – work bloody quickly preferably with grub screw in one hand whilst removing syringe with other, helps to have 3rd hand.

Front is quick to bleed, the rear takes longer to get all the air out. Pulling a ‘vacuum’ on the bleed syringe multiple times really does help especially if you can pull the plunger right to the top of the syringe. Front and rear on mine have same firm feel at lever.

joebristol

My RX4+ arrived today. I ordered itnon ebay a few days ago 🤷‍♂️

stevious

Just resurrecting this thread to say that I sorted my rear brake a year ago and then just got around to the front this week. I have discovered that the hardest part of the installation is when you drop the bleed port screw on a messy concrete floor. Spent longer looking for that than the rest of the install combined.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.