• This topic has 33 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • First world issues – bike delays – oh well!
  • ahsat

Blurgh! Ordered Stanton Sherpa frame in August and was told 8-10 weeks. It’s now nearly 7 months and I am still yet to receive it. Ordered Niner gravel frame last month to be told it would be delivered in March, but just been found out that isn’t happening with no idea on the delivery date (kudos to Stage 1 cycles for being honest). I have a box of parts (probably more than most bike shops currently, having ordered most of them pre-Brexit/pre-Shimano collapse!) and wheels, and nothing to hang them on! Lockdown boredum, a year of WFH and long-COVID frustration meant they were something to look forward to.

No-one’s fault – the world is a mess. Nothing to be said really, just a mild vent! I still have my life, my house and my job – I am very lucky. And eventually, two boxes of shiny 853 will eventually arrive! Hopefully by which point I will have got rid of long COVID enough to enjoy them!

As @eddiebaby said, who needs a new bike anyway…

reluctantjumper

Annoying isn’t it. Had a complete bike on order back in November, due to be in the UK early January. Then Brexit screwed that up and the company (Radon via bike-discount) stopped deliveries to the UK with no idea when it even if they would resume!

Had to order something else instead and that’s been pushed back a fortnight once already.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Completely understand where you are coming from.

I am contemplating splashing out on a new emtb but with no guarantee it will get here this year I dont know if I can justify spending £5.5k for something that may arrive in June or maybe October.

I might wait until next year and hopefully prices might drop again

At least premium cars you get a build date and up to date tracking.

Expensive bikes you get the costs but not the service!

Edit: I get things are difficult at the minute, but other premium good industries are able to manage the stock control bit still….

Wookster

Oh no!!!! It will be worth the wait but still doesn’t make it less crap though!!

My new bike was delayed last year due to the Rona but I was so lucky to have gotten in just before it all went to pot, there was a waiting list anyway so I understood I’d be waiting though, but that extra tones always a killer even if it can’t be helped. Can’t wait to see the bikes when built mate!! 🤞😎

eddiebaby
    Free Member

As @eddiebaby said, who needs a new bike anyway…

Oh great, link me in to the death of the bike industry… 😀

slackboy

I’m grumpy because I ordered a frame in January that was showing as in stock with the distributor, but actually wasn’t. In the 5 days between ordering and finding out I managed to list, sell and post the frame it was due to replace.

I now don’t have an FS bike to ride as the weather gets nicer.

Ho Hum.

joebristol

I feel your pain – I ordered a Marino at the start of July thinking worst case I’d have it delivered, then get it painted and build in time for my birthday at the start of December. Secretly I was hoping it would arrive a bit earlier.

In actual fact the date kept going back and back until it finally arrives Christmas Eve. Then I dropped it off for painting and that took weeks and weeks. 3 rides in though and so far it’s totally worth it. Looks ace / rides ace.

Hang in there!

Vortexracing

Oh great, link me in to the death of the bike industry

it was a choice between you and Boris, he doesn’t loiter on here so I’m sorry, its all down to you 😉

ahsat

Hahaha Eddie and Vortex – that exchange has cheered me up greatly!

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Banshees in stock. I got a spitfire to build up with old parts. Looks fast!

zerocool

@joebristol all these delays with mainstream brands are starting to make the Marino delays not seem as bad. LOL!
    With all the delays and price increases ‘caused by COVID’ (looking at your +10% Sahara Cruz) I’m thinking the quickest (and cheapest) way to get a bike now is to go to the Bicycle Academy, learn to make abs then build your own hardtail.

ahsat

Tempting but I do already have a functioning v2; even if it has unfashionably small wheels (bought second hand from here, as it happens). As I said, first world problems….

Enjoy. They are great bikes.

MoreCashThanDash

Ordered a dream Ti road bike in June, with delivery predicted September. Apparently it’s been built this week and waiting for “the office” to clear it – and presumably ask me for the balance due. Was hoping to go and pick it up tomorrow or Monday.

Whilst its annoying, a small builder isn’t going to have the buying clout of the big players. It had better be right when it turns up!

ta11pau1

Hmm, my 5 months from order to delivery is starting to look quite reasonable!!

TBF the ‘normal’ lead time is 10-12 weeks and 1 month of those delays were down to UPS, so it was only 5 weeks longer than normal.

dpfr

I’m not going to name names because it hasn’t really inconvenienced me and the builders were clearly trying hard in unusual and difficult circumstances but I waited 101 weeks for a frame which was delivered in May last year, since when I have been unable to get hold of the blingy parts I need to build it up. I’ll be pleased if I get to ride it this year

ahsat

101 weeks and most of that pre COVID! Wow. dpfr you definitely ‘win’, if winning was a thing in this context!

MoreCashThanDash

101 weeks and most of that pre COVID! Wow. dpfr you definitely ‘win’, if winning was a thing in this context!

I’m feeling bad for moaning about 8 months now….

Sandwich

The lad was trying to source a gravel type bike from our supplier (Tandem Group). I made the call in February 2020 and was told they were running a bit behind should be June 2020. Then we all got plague and shipping times went into free-fall by early September 20 we were being quoted December (just in time for the birthday). A week later it was February 21 then by November it was August 21. We cancelled the order in October and bought an Orbea that was in stock for collection locally in late October. The problems appear to be with lower spec groupsets and components from Shimano and, of course, Eddie.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

I once ordered a Stumpjumper in early September for delivery that month. Bumped probably a dozen times to various dates and eventually turned up in February. It was being regularly delivered in plentiful numbers to Europe, the US and Aus from the previous July onwards. No pandemic to blame. Based on that experience I think very hard before ordering anything that isn’t in stock. If I do it won’t be something I need or am really counting on to come on time.

iainc

Ordered a Giant Contend AR in November and it took about 10 weeks so fairly decent. Ordered an Audi last month and we had it, to exact spec, in 10 days….

mos

I ordered a Ridley Kanzo Fast gravel bike in October, should be here this month.

ahsat

Think in my specific cases, the delay is probably in a large part driven by the Reynolds factory closure in lockdown 1 and the general backlog that has created, alongside demand.

Empathy with all of the above. At least it’s just bikes!

w00dster

Ridley Kanzo, very nice. Pics when that arrives please.
    Friend isn’t being as tolerant as you guys are, he ordered a Bowman back in October, was due January….still no date when it’s arriving…
    I’m very happy on my new bike. Even though only had 4 rides. Mine was 1 week late…..apart from the seat post isn’t due until September so I’m on a loaner until then.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I wanted an Ibis DV9 in August and advised 6 months minimum wait. Got one from Germany and arrived 4 days later. Mate wanted one too at Christmas. Told a similar waiting time. Also ordered from same shop in Germany and arrived 4 days later. Guess we were lucky…………..

lowey

Ordered two bikes in the last year.

One ordered in March, promised June arrived November. Hopeless company, terrible communication and attitude. Wouldn’t ever use again despite the frame being bloody brilliant in the end.

One ordered in November, promised Jan, arriving April. Wonderful customer service, with calls / emails regularly updating and providing reasons / alternatives. Wouldn’t hesitate to use again.

droodling
    Free Member

Don’t hate me, but I ordered a Geometron G1 frame in November. It arrived a week later. 🙂

v7fmp

i have a warranty Norco Optic due to come to me… sometime?! Warranty was approved in january, i expected it fairly soon after. Then i hear its coming to Norco start of March, most recent exchange of emails tells me its now mid April. I got a little shirty, only to be put in my place by the Norco representative i have been dealing with. Which was fair play, they are doing all they can. Its just mega frustrating, i just wanna ride in the woods.

I did consider ordering a Raaw Jibb, but with the fear of mega import charges, and it not quite being the bike i hoped it to be, i wonder if its just desperation fuelling my thoughts!

I also managed to bag a Ragley as a spare bike, which was due next week, but i think that has been delayed a week.

Clearly nowhere near the delays some have seen, but in our own little worlds, it can bring you down, when riding is your salvation.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Curious to what was up with the Optic? I hammered mine before it got stolen. Great riding bike. Had it one season though.

I keep a Bluepig as a backup bike. They are fun.

ahsat

Don’t hate me, but I ordered a Geometron G1 frame in November. It arrived a week later.

Oh don’t worry, every time I walk downstairs I am met with the huge Sigma Sports box that reminds me @p20’s new road bike was delivered within 2 weeks!!

Sui
    Free Member

ahsat

Tempting but I do already have a functioning v2; even if it has unfashionably small wheels (bought second hand from here, as it happens). As I said, first world problems….

Enjoy. They are great bikes.

nowt wrong with small wheels, they iz better!! I’ve got my Spitty crash replacement coming shortly, it will be built with a mix of old and new as my company decided to recind on bike to work at the last minute (arseholes), plus no hope cranks in stock anywhere… grrr

monkeyboyjc

Ordered a custom ti fatbike frame in January, knowing it’ll be 6months + and I’m itching at the bit now…. (First ti frame I’ve owned and first custom geo).

ahsat

Stanton must have heard me…frame hopefully dispatching Monday 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Great news – I’m picking up my long awaited bike on Monday.

3 sleeps to go….

ahsat

Yay. That is a good Monday. Look forward to the photos.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘First world issues – bike delays – oh well!’ is closed to new replies.