• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by lotto.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • First winter summit of K2…wow!
  • ElShalimo
    scuttler

Amazing to think it’s taken this long and a testament to its reputation. Team was led by all-round hardman Nirmal Purja (who it turns out ONLY started mountaineering in 2012) and I think it’s ace that it was an entirely Nepalese team that summited.

https://www.nimsdai.com/nirmal-purja-mbe

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Agreed. Also great that that self aggrandising **** didn’t manage it first.

tails
    Free Member

Looks like some poor chap died from another team, hope everyone gets up and down.

Why are so many trying this year?

dovebiker

It’s been on the cards for a few years, but once the first permit had been issued I guess the race was on.

The fatality was a Spanish climber from another team who fell whilst descending.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just incredible. The guys ahead waited and they all submitted together. Apparently some did it without oxygen….which is just mind boggling. Summiting an 8000m Peak is an absolute dream of mine, but the whole circus of people being dragged up by Sherpas is about as far removed from anything that inspires me as possible.

This group of Sherpas getting the first winter ascent of K2 is just awesome though. Those guys are just a different class of mountaineer and all that I’ve met were truly lovely people too.

Poopscoop

Incredible stuff.👍

Balls of steel.

Ok, balls of steel and ice.

tails
    Free Member

There were a couple of Italians (possibly) looking at doing this. They were on the bbc main page last month. Anybody know if they’ve made it or gone back down.

honeybadgerx

It’s a fantastic achievement, hopefully it’ll lead to more support for other expeditions. Would have been great if Doug Scott had still been around to see it.

supernova

Incredible achievement in a horrendous environment.
    Very glad to see it was an all Nepali team, they never get enough credit.
    I imagine local Pakistani mountaineers will be slightly disgruntled though!

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m assuming that the ascent was via the “normal” route of the Abruzzi Spur? Politically Nepalis heading to either Pakistan or China might be delicate.

I was on a trip to Gasherbrum IV the same year (1986) that Al Rouse summited K2 and subsequently died. We walked in at the same time as the team he was in – they mentioned that they’d said to the crew of the plane flying them into Skardu that they were attempting K2 so the pilot diverted and flew around the mountain to give them a look!

dirtyboy

https://www.nimsdai.com/nirmal-purja-mbe
    Nims did a podcast interview with Jason Fox on Spotify well worth a listen.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Generalist,

Agreed. Also great that that self aggrandising **** didn’t manage it first

Who’s that then? Brian Blessed?

cb

I’d be interested to know what happened politically with this all Nepali team – thought I read that they didn’t start out that way and joined together later? Was that because their ‘guests’ failed / changed minds or were there multiple all Nepali teams from the outset?

lotto
    Free Member

I’ve read his book and can recommend it as a worthwhile read. A very accomplished climber and ex UK Special Forces soldier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘First winter summit of K2…wow!’ is closed to new replies.