Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • First van for handyman
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Been using my Yaris for past 6 months, finally got the funds to buy my first van,
    I’ll be using it for Handyman stuff, joinery, tiling, painting etc,
    Lots of little jobs all with in the city,
    My budget is £2000-£2300
    I’ve nailed it down to two choices,
    Ford Transit Connect LWB
    Or Vauxhall Vivario

With my budget in mind, the Connect I’ll get around 130-140k
    Whereas the Vivario will tend to be a higher mileage at 180-200k

The 3 seats in the Vivario would be a bonus but I can’t help think the Connect would be better for driving around he city,

Any thoughts on what I should be looking out for and any opinions on which would be best,

Also can I fit a couple of bikes in the back of a LWB High roof Connect?

Ta

maccruiskeen

What do you want to put in the van (apart from bikes)

tacopowell
    Free Member

Handyman stuff, tools, paint, timber, doors bit of this, bit of that!

footflaps

Smaller van and use a roof rack for large bits of timber?

maccruiskeen

in terms of timber – stuff like plywood, 8ft CLS etc will go into a vivaro (although won’t go into the SWB vivaro very well – a better fit in the LWB) without being cut – with the connect anything you buy you’re going to have to cut it up before you can take it away.

Transits proper (at that price point) are a better fit for wood. A lot of transit-like van have a sloping bulkhead so a sheet will lie flat on the floor but can’t go in on its edge – if you put boards in flat you have to up pack and repack everything to get them in and out. SWB Vivaros, Transporters etc are all just undersize to be as useful as the could be (as is the latest version of the transit.

tthew

Easy get a couple of bikes in the connect. I don’t think the 3rd seat in vans that size are a massive asset, too cramped for any long distance work due to the position of the gear stick.

If it’s a 1.6 connect, I think they have the same engine as the Peugeot/Citroen that has a thing for lunching turbo chargers. Not a reason to rule them out, (I have an Expert van) but do a bit of research first. Avoid if the turbo has been replaced.

footflaps

with the connect anything you buy you’re going to have to cut it up before you can take it away.

I just stick sheets of Ply on the roof rack. Tarp over them if it’s raining.

maccruiskeen

I think they have the same engine as the Peugeot/Citroen that has a thing for lunching turbo chargers.

Do similar research with Vivaros – water tends to get into the engine bay and sit on top of the injectors and rust them in – that plus very poor access to the engine makes replacement very problematic and expensive

maccruiskeen

I just stick sheets of Ply on the roof rack. Tarp over them if it’s raining.

I do the same with my Astra van – but with my sprinter I can keep a stock of material in the van so its there when i need it. So a bigger van can be more useful if you are buzzing between jobs all day rather than taking material home /to site for one job

You’d probably not want to put more than 100kg on a roof, which might only be a couple of sheets in some materials.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

My advice is to go to an auction and buy a lower mileage van. A £2k van on a dealers forecourt probably only have cost them half that at auction and it won’t be in any better condition than a van bought at auction. I worked out of the back of my car for the first six months after going self employed. £1650 at auction was enough for a 2008 Peugeot Partner with 102,000 miles on the clock once I had the money. I would have had to pay at least twice that for a similar vehicle from a dealer.

If you work with £2300 as your maximum spend (including VAT and auction fees) you could end up with something quite smart. I know someone who picked up a 2006 connect with 65k on the clock for about £2500 at auction about a year and a half ago.

Ultimately a van is a tool for a small business and going to an auction should let you get the best return for your investment.

maccruiskeen

Worth looking at at the price is the newer shape Peugeot Experts (or the citroen/fiat versions of the same van) – they often seem to be pretty good VFM for age / milage. The LWB version will get sheets in on the flat, but frustrainging won’t quite get them in on edge.

Edukator
    Free Member

An old Ducato in that price range. A 2.5D or 2.8 D with no turbo, cat, DPF or high pressure injection system.

footflaps

You’d probably not want to put more than 100kg on a roof, which might only be a couple of sheets in some materials.

Never thought about that until now, must have had well over 200kg on top of my Dad’s Octavia (which I borrow for wood collecting duties as I can’t fit much on my Il Pompino…)

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

I have a lwb base connect – takes 8’x 4′ sheet inside if you have the fold down passenger seat – not sure if this an option or std across the range
    Spot on for 2 bikes and kit in the back,

tacopowell
    Free Member

My advice is to go to an auction and buy a lower mileage van

Good advice,
    I’ll look into this.

A week or so on, I’ve still not made a decision as to which van let alone a purchase,
    I’m thinking the size of the Vivaro trumps the comfort and fuel efficiency of the connect,

Has anyone dealth with Renault trafic or Nissan Primastar???

Are there any other major issues i should know about either the Vivaro or Connects?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Identical vehicles except for the trim/interior.
    Older manuals have an issue with the gear lever cables – easy fix though but can leave you stranded.
    As above with the injectors – though – make sure you check how the head looks.
    Not a massive issue if its used constantly as the water doesnt sit long enough.
    2010> Traffic’s/Vivaros are pretty good on fuel – 750’ish to the tank if you aren’t hoofing it.

russ295
    Free Member

I generally fit kitchens as well as a few other things.
    Had a little rascal, then a hiace. Got a trafic lwb high roof now but it due to be be replaced.
    I wouldn’t have a van that I couldn’t stand up in.
    Nv400 is going to be my next purchase.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can’t fault my old shape peugeot expert , I bought it years ago with 40k for £2500 sold it to my boss with 70k for £2000 and got given it back with 120k 2 years ago.
    A few issues with door locks and other small things but mostly it’s been great
    3 seats. Only thing I would change is mine is the 1.9 non turbo so is a bit slow

tacopowell
    Free Member

peugeot expert

Aren’t French cars/vans notorious for costing an arm and a leg for parts?

My Toyota Yaris was built in France and all the parts seem to have a large mark up on the Japanese equivalent.

bigad40
    Free Member

Bear in mind the engine may not comply with Low Emission Zones in the future.
    I had to sell my 1st Hiace because it didn’t comply.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Low Emission Zones

Don’t foresee me working much in London….

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve noticed high prices with parts on either my peugeot van or the citrone c2 I have. Only time I normaly go “how much ” is my missis mk4 golf

alexpalacefan

3 seats is nice occasionally. If your concerned that the third might not be too comfortable, bear in mind that you’ll never have to sit in it!

APF

tacopowell
    Free Member

Would anyone advise against choosing a van with a rear tailgate door???

Looks looky

Don’t like the looks of the Dispatches but this One looks in good condition.

I’ve looked into auctions but there isn’t anything worth buying.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘First van for handyman’ is closed to new replies.